1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Save game compat format

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Dawn of A New Era' started by Isabelxxx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

Just visited the official web of the mod and seen that there is some type of work in progress announced so here are my suggestions for the next update. Pretty useful for the modders I think.

Have been considered the addition of that well known characteristic from the mod C2C?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426653

The code is already available in the SVN and it has been working in the mod since months.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429816

That would definitively eliminate the need of starting a new game after an update.

There are also other debugger utilities recently added in their dll which could help to understand and fix those bugs some users are experiencing at the start.

2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I think this belongs to C2C thread :p

3. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

I was suggesting to included that here. The code was not made specifically for C2C but for BTS, and therefore it would be possible to do something with it.

I still don't understand why others modders are not using that since the first moment it was made... it seems that the feature has been overseen due to being included in such big mod.

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

1. Because this cannot work with heavily modified DLL between 2 releases.
    2. Negative impact on performance.
    3. Modders are interested in modding features and not that much in savegames.

This might be nice for mods that are mostly about XML (Units, Buildings, Professions, ...).
    But that is it. :dunno:

For all the big mods around CivCol, this is pretty much useless ...
    (There are usually many months between releases and DLL changes are often quite heavy.)

I really cannot imagine any major CivCol-modding-project trying to adapt this.
    (This would never work for all big CivCol-Mods anyways and would need to be adjusted probably every major release.)

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

In response to Tigranes and raystuttgart

1. Yes it does work with heavily modded .dll
    2. Impact is minimal
    3. Short sighted view

It's Nice for ALL mods

Stretch your imagination a bit ray! And no it does Not need adjusted for every major release.

By now I hope you have researched this better and have a better understanding of it's usefulness and superiority over normal save game format.

JosEPh :)

6. raystuttgart

Sorry, I have not researched this any more.
    Maybe at some point in the future, I will take a closer look at this. :thumbsup:

7. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

It's in my TODO list. But right now I still have some minor things to finish before adding that.

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Too bad this wasn't followed up.

Both Tigranes and Ray have No Idea how much better it is to be able to continue a Game after a Mod is Updated instead of having to start all over.

And Koshling will work with anyone interested in using it.

Isabelxxx, are you still active in this development?

JosEPh

9. raystuttgart

This is simply something like point 10001 of my prioritized list of todos. :dunno:

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Wow ray, do you develop DoaNE too?

I thought this was their forum? As I was hoping to get Isabelxxx to respond.

If you don't want to use it in RaR that's up to you. But you Are missing out on a super innovation. Like I said your choice.

JosEPh

11. raystuttgart

No I don't. :)
    But since you mentioned me personally I responded to it.

12. Cruel

Cruel Chieftain

Is There a standalone version of this new save format?

13. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

That is highly unlikely.
    However this thread inspired me to code this feature for Medieval Conquest (well entire Colonization Mod Collection due to shared source code). However I don't like the C2C solution due to performance and savegame size issues as well as a general not that readable code. I made a totally different design with minimal performance impact. If anybody is really interested in details for this, then read the CMC git log and/or goto M:C's subforum.