Save game version migration

jooe

Warlord
I know it's not meant to be played yet, but I'm trying out New_Hope branch a little bit. It looks soooo promising :)
As I'm trying to keep my local data updated to the branch, there are some changes like the recent roaster/dryer merge that would not be save game compatible. Is there a way to migrate save games somehow? Can I save the game in text format (like maps) so I could just edit all references to the now deleted profession?

Is there a way to migrate save games somehow?
No, the savegames will continously get broken by our internal updates.
That is one reason why the branch is currently not supposed to be played by community.

Last edited:
E.g. in the next days we will add new Professions / Buildings / Experts for Charcoal / Blackpowder / Bakery Products.
That will also definitely break any savegame you currently have.

----

So you have 2 choices:

1) Continue playing a half finished alpha release without getting any updates or fixes.
2) Continously update to the current development and start a new game at least every week.

----

Again, this is still alpha development stage.
It is simply not supposed to be played by community.

----

Otherwise I can just repeat:
Please stay patient. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well, I'd rather choose 2) then... otherwise it would not be helpful at all if I encounter a bug and try fixing it when you might already have done so ...

I did a lot of work on the savegame format to try to preserve the savegame and while what I did works, it turns out that the exe itself saves something related to units and buildings. For this reason savegames will break if we add more of any of those two types. There are plenty of ways to break savegames in vanilla, which our savegame can handle, but that doesn't really help when something as common as adding units will break everything anyway.

At least changing xml data other than adding more units or buildings is a whole lot more stable. In the past just changing something like visual range of a unit in xml would break savegames, but most such numbers can now be changed without corrupting savegame data.

@jooe
Since you are a programmer, you could also actively help to speed up the work. :)
Basically you could simply join the team and work whatever is most interesting to you.

You could e.g.

1)
Check the Domestic Advisor Screens if they need to be adjusted
(Due to the larger number of new Yields some of them may need to be corrected.)

2) Help to implement one of the accepted features like e.g. one of these:

Actual Triangle Trade
Connection to Capitol
Adapting "Dot Map" from BULL / BUG / BAT

Logistics
Adapting Seaways from DOANE

3) Implement new Python Events using some of the new gameplay content.
(There is endless possibilities there with all the new stuff we added.)

Here are some ideas but you could implement whatever you want:

4) Help us with bugfixing internally.
(Currently there is no serious bug, but you could e.g. check the issues in GIT.)

5) Whatever else you like ...
(There is enoug possibilities to participate in a mod project of this size.)

---------

The more modders we have that join us, the faster we will finish the work. :)

Top Bottom