1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario: 1500AD on GEM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Giant Earth Map Mod' started by Genghis_Kai, May 28, 2008.

1. Halt

Halt Warlord

Here is two screens and a save game for Babur.

After a good night's sleep, even though I am atm behind in tech, I am not sure I can lose this game. I am about to take Australia, plan to take two Incan cities that are powerhouses when built up, a north American stronghold in the NW, will also start taking a few of the better island locations as well.

I think Prince is too easy for Babur. Not sure if Monarch will make a difference.

What I am trying to find is that civ that will allow me to struggle to victory on Monarch/Prince (I play Emp normally but think it maybe too much on this map).

I might try Japan again

Attached Files:

2. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades GEM Fanboy

I'm currently trying Japan, and it proves to be quite fun. Conquered Honshi (japanese mainland) first, then Korea and currently (1562 AD) plowing through China, already conquering three cities.

I guess the key to victory is to attack China and its vassal, Korea as soon as possible. China starts out at war with Japan, Jurchen, Mongol and Chagatai - if you play any of these, make sure the other three keep attacking China. I gave them all technology, supplied them with ressources and bribed them into attacking China again as soo as possible whenever they sued for peace.

Effectively, I am still slightly behind in power compared to China, but my units have superior promotions, one thing the power graph does not take into account. As a human player, I am also naturally more adept at warfare than the AI... so my chances are rather good to conquer China entirely.

If I had postponed the assault, they would have eventually become too powerful for me to tackle. I guess Japan will be a quite fun civilization to complete, I am especially curious how the world power balance will turn out to be without (or with a significally smaller) China.

Best Regards,
    Ace

3. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades GEM Fanboy

Quick update: 1580 AD, and already I am first in score. When I first landed in Korea, the Chinese demanded my cities from me to make peace. Now they offer me their cities for peace.

I attached a screenshot of the assault route I have taken. I could probably have skipped Beijing and gone straight for the second holy city, but I wanted to have the cultural pressure removed from my first conquests.

Best Regards,
    Ace

Attached Files:

4. Ikier

Ikier Chieftain

Months ago, I played Scenario twice, once as China, and then once as Spain.

First - yes corportation on GEM is WONDERFULL :D Use them.

2nd - an Idea for those who might play as Spain - this is how I did more or less:

1 - captured as many cities in the Americas as possible - which was fairly easy. Producing units in spain to defend them.

2 - moved many attacking units from America back to Europe - build up an army there with one purpose....capture Rome for the money.

3 - build the secret palace in europe as soon as possible - and used the great engineer to help build the new palace in the new world.

4 - In Europe I only had one objective - keeping my current number of cities + Venice when culturally captured (again for the income). All culturally flipped cities (in Europe) I rejected, which effectively means they are razed ;) This could keep my colonial expenses to almost a minimum in Europe :D

In the America - one goal, capture it all as soon as possible. As a result I never vassalised the native americans - I needed to be able to attack them later.

I ended up being on sure path to win, and never got to finish the play :mad: Someone reinstalled the game, and deleted the saved games in the process :rolleyes:

5. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Who dare to do that? your wife? Your mother? :lol:

6. Joshua67

Joshua67 Chieftain

I started a game at 1500 AD and i like it!Even the seperate Mongol tribes are in it!
    Im going to look at the 200 BC Mod also.Very nice GK!

Joshua

7. Lean

Lean Prince

I have to say: I've admired this mod for a while, but sense I've downloaded it (And it's senarios) /i've been utterly at it's mercy. I decided to take Ace's advice and start a game as Japan. Much like Ace, I quickly moved to take Korea, and after their weak defenses were shattered, I moved to China. Thankfully, I had allies. Ayutthaya became my vassal early on, before I was finished with Korea. Towards the middle of my conquest of China, Fuman became my second vassal, and after converting to Buddhisim, we had no problems. Sharing China with Khan, and Fuman was fine, and soon after China fell, Mongola was added as vassal number 3. Currently, I'm in 1710 AD and am building up forces for te conquest of Malacca. I just figured I'd thank you for this wonderful mod, keep up the good work, and thats all. Now, World of Warcraft is calling me, so farewell. -Lean

8. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

Last night I started a game as Russia, and it's proving to be quite difficult actually in some respects. My cities produce hardly any commerce, so the research rate is incredibly slow! I'm in 1638, and still researching the same tech (Economics) that I started in 1500! This is on Prince difficulty. Moreover, 80% of my raw commerce comes from trade routes.

Despite this (and the fact that I have to wait 1-2 min between turns), it's really good fun! I've expanded quite nicely - taking all the surrounding Barbarian and minor nation cities, and I'm now taking on the Ottomans together with the rest of the Christian world. It's an official dogpile!

Elsewhere in the world, China is dominating and has vassals even in Africa. What's also funny is that what's left of Maya is now Confucian! France has mostly been carved up by Spain and Germany, and has been vassalized by Spain, while the Pope has taken over all of Venice's continental cities. Now Venice is exiled to Crete and Cyprus and is a vassal of the Pope.

It's also nice to see a lot of colonization going on. Spain, Portugal, England, France, Germany and even Poland all have founded cities in the Americas, while France is beginning colonization of Australia.

Great map and scenario, but here are a couple of minor inaccuracies which I noted:

1) Having browsed the map in worldbuilder, it seems there is no coal in eastern Ukraine. This is inaccurate because there are major coal deposits in the Donets basin.

2) In particular for this scenario, it would be more accurate to have Kazan rather Bulgar. In 1500 the Kazan khanate was one of the important pieces left after the break-up of the Golden Horde.

3) Also, for this timeframe, it would be more accurate to rename Tana to Azov (or Azak).

4) The Russian cities Perm and Petrozavodsk weren't founded until the 18th century, so technically don't exist in 1500. Maybe would be better to change Petrozavodsk to Olonets, because that's the oldest Russian settlement in Karelia. Perm probably should stay though, because even though the city didn't exist yet, the actual Perm region was under Moscow's control in 1500.

9. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

I have made some changes to the scenario for the next release. The biggest change is adding a few more cities in Europe + Macau and Goa. Take a look at the first post for a bit more details.

10. Halt

Halt Warlord

I am currently playing Venice. Working out a strategy to grow in the short term while being able to defeat China long term.

Very interesting scenario and challenge, having great fun.

One thing I noticed in my games is how "quickly" Mecca falls to the Portuguese.

In the three games I have played as Venice (not long only till the middle of the 17th century, Mecca gets taken over by Portugal each time. Looking at the units in Mecca I can kinda see why. Is this what you intended?

11. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

I did gave Portugese a large fleet with loads of units for them to conquer Asia (Goa, Melacca and Macau just to name a few). But I didn't intend the AI to use it on Mecca ;)

12. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Mecca shouldn't be coastal (since it isn't), especially on a Giant Earth Map, I think. (Alternatively, Mecca might have better defense.)

13. Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades GEM Fanboy

Portugal starts at war with Arabia, I think. Therefore they always use their army to attack Aden, then Mecca (land route from Aden with Curassiers). I have observed it in almost every game, like Halt. It seems logical from an AI point of view (Mecca is an economic powerhouse beause of the holy city money) - but of course it is completely ahistorical.

Best Regars,
    Martin

14. Meowmix

Meowmix Chieftain

Could you mabye make a native american civ? I find that as a european civ (spain especially but really any of the ones given colonising galleons) that you can take most america very quickly, the barbarian cities only have archers, you can penetrate too easily.

And then we can have dog soliders raiding workers from the rifle bearing spanish in mexico ^^

Apart from that minor quibble, great mod and scenario. It takes a while for the other civs to get moving but in my most recent game as spain, france and britain have started racing to colonise eastern america(I've already taken the rest of it)' they both have 2 cities each currently. The germans and papal states have set up colonies in brazil, the indians are working on indonesia/phillipines; and the light blue(most southern) indians have started to settle austrailia, russia's started expanding eastwards, and the hungarians have somehow become 5th in score, taking the balkans from the ottomans(I think the papal states and venice sent some suicide missions against the ottos, softening them up. Hungary is currently at war with poland, who hasn't colonised but did a good job improving their lands. All we need now is for russia/the HRE to declare on poland so they can partition it =]

Babur didn't go very far into the lodhi, he took lahore and stopped, they capitulated but they recently rebelled, there's a new war there so hopefully the mughal empire will get bigger soon :]

I took the aztec/maya lands very quickly, them split the guys up and sent the more promoted ones to attack the inca, the rest(mostly from the small caribbean cities) took the little barbarian cities.

After I'd taken over the readily available cities, I sent as many conqs back as I could, and took venice for myself, they're still around in the med though, there are a few privateers I think belong to them : p

Portugal took meeca and aden as per normal, but after I took venice I wheeled around and took their european cities, so they shouldn't be a rival now.

IN east asia, the koreans held on, it doesn't look like japan really did much other than unify themselves. The mongols seem to have done best, they took a fair chunk out of western china, my explorer noted that xian had 1% mongolian culture in it(china no doubt asked for it in return for peace) the jurchens haven't done anything important =\

Malacca seems very weak : [ thailand vassled themselves off to china already. CHina is pretty much intact apart from the north west/mongolia area.

In an odd twist, the french declared war on the central asian turks, took 2 of their cities and vassalised them, after that the turks founded a new city in siberia but have been quiet since.

Im currently wondering where the danish/swedes planted their settlers, must go get a new world map...

Great game :D

15. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Thanks for sharing.

May be adding a native American civ is interesting to play. But I don't think it will help a lot stopping the European civ from colonizing the Americas.

16. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

HI, i been playing this secenario but there is too many civs for me, can someone explain how i would remove some of the civs to make the game run faster.

thanks

17. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

Hi nice mod and secario, 2 questions

1. why has the netherlands been replaced by venice?
    2. how do change them back to the netherlands?

thanks

18. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

1.) Because there was nothing like the Netherlands in 1500 AD.

The Netherlands (including Belgium, some french regions and Luxembourg) had been part of the east-francian realm since the partition of the francian realm in the 9th century. When the east-francian realm developed into the Holy Roman Empire of German Nationality (yes the HRE was to be centuries later then Charlemagne / Charles the Great / Karl der Große), the lower lands, the Netherlands where still part of it.

Charles V of the hapsburgian dynasty was at the same time emperor of Germany and king of Spain. He resigned in 1556, and his titles where divided between his successors. The Netherlands where from that time on called the "spanish netherlands", and soon afterwards a movement for independence started. Only 80 years later in 1648 the Netherlands became truly independent.

So Basically in 1500 there was nothing like the netherlands, there where german realms bordering France, with people speaking a german dialect and being more or less loyal subjects of the HRE.

19. tech9374

tech9374 Chieftain

i see, since i never knew that, i would still like to replace venice with the netherlands since they played a huge role in colonial times, thanks for your reply.

20. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Yeah, that would be interesting. Also, the 80 Years War (as the Dutch War of Independence is usually referred to) actually started in 1568 and from 1609-'21 there was a 'cease-fire' agreed upon.

Some general remarks on 1500 AD on GEM:

- Bristol is located whereabout Plymouth might be
    - Medina is located NW of Mecca (should be NE)
    - Judaism seems to have been virtually obliterated in Europe and the Middle East
    - the Tonga king is referred to as Tu'i Tonga (says Wiki, although all known names are of a later date)
    - it would be nice if a smaller lettertype could be used for the civ list on the right of the screen (as soon as contacts reach 24+ civs, the top names overlap the top right buttons and even run off the top of the screen; I believe MaxRigaMod uses a smaller lettertype to reduce the space needed).

Otherwise: great job!:goodjob: