1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario: 1500AD on GEM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Giant Earth Map Mod' started by Genghis_Kai, May 28, 2008.

1. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Just checked the scenario (I haven't opened this scenario for ages :)

- Yes Bristol is not located in it's most appropriate location (should be 1 tile NE of where it is now). I was trying to separate the cities with 2 tiles away from each other. But I understand it is quite annoying to see, especially if it is an area you most interested.

- Medina should be almost directly North of Mecca. Probably due to the distortion of GEM, it looks fine to me for where it is located now.

- I didn't do much research on Medieval Judaism when I did this. If you got some more reference, I would be glad to see.

- Yeah, Tu'i Tonga is a nice name instead of Leader of Tonga.

- In regards to the leadername list, I don't have a problem because I am using 1680 x 1050 resolution (in fact, 36 civs would perfectly fit into the space with this resolution). I would be happy to see someone else can provide an enhancement to fix this problem for lower resolutions, but I am not the right person to help.

- I am working on the 1860 scenario at the moment and aim to make a release may be in the near future. I can have minor updates on these other scenarios with the next release.

2. sarmad11

sarmad11 Chieftain

hI, i'm new to these mods and I was really interested in playing this one and I cant seem to get it to work. i downloaded the GEM mod and placed it in the BTS folder (it came with the 1500 scenario inside), everytime i try to play it though it crashes. I'll open up Civ 4 then load a mod, and it will exit, load into the mod, and then crash right away and back to my desktop.

I've got 4 gigs of ram and AMD phenom processor so i doubt its a computer thing. does it only work with certain versions of BTS or something?

3. Adhesive86

Adhesive86 Warlord

Hi, have you got the latest patch (v3.17)? Sounds like this could be the reason. The latest scenario will only work with 3.17, which is free to download.

4. Register666666

Register666666 Warlord

Quick question, is Aleppo supposed to have mining? It seems to be the only city with mining and there is no capital for it.

5. sarmad11

sarmad11 Chieftain

Yep, that seemed to have been the problem. Thanks a lot, dunno why i didn't think of that myself :mischief:

6. Register666666

Register666666 Warlord

Btw, there is no mining there at first, but some time when the first round is over, it does.

Right from the start, the mining corporation is impossible to achieve I think.

7. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

That's weird. I will have a look. Thanks for reporting.

Religion and Corporation seems to be buggy sometimes when editing. Especially the headquarters, they disappear once a while after editing.

8. Register666666

Register666666 Warlord

Thanks for taking a look and Merry Christmas.

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Some comments:

- the city of "Gothenburg" is called Göteborg in Swedish
    - several city names refer to areas rather than cities (for instance Sylvania, Crete and Cyprus instead of, say, Szeged, Candia and Famagusta)
    - at some point, playing as France, I got DOWed by Incas and Aztecs, but not by their master Spain, because the civ score list is too large for the message to appear:crazyeye: (I think I 've suggested this earlier somewhere, but a reduced-size civ score list - like in MaxRigaMod - might solve this)
    - another suggestion is to make Jungle/Marsh terrain unusable until Biology (like in RFC), to prevent early city crowding in South America (Incas!) and Africa.

Otherwise: great fun to play!:goodjob:

10. mrjepson

mrjepson Warlord

BUG: Several Polish cities begin the game with duns instead of walls.

Cities without duns cannot build new ones, but cities with duns can build walls. These cities then have -100% siege damage making them effectively untakable by the computers as they will fire with the siege weapons every round without any effect.

I was playing a game where Poland was getting piled on but surviving multiple sieging stacks per city with only a handful of troops. Once I corrected the duns to walls they only lasted a couple of rounds.

11. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

thanks. I will check.

12. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

I iwll try this scenario today or tomorrow, but a question, does Portugual actually have lands in Brazil in this scenario?

I am not sure if it makes sense or not, seeing as Brazil was "discovered" by Portugual in 1500AD.

Link with a fast history of Brazil's first 50 years:

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/samerica/brazil150049.html

13. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Discovery is different than having a settlement. Discovery is simulated in my scenarios as those visible lands (as compared to black out areas). If I remember correctly, ONLY Portugal starts with visibility in Brazil.

14. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Aha, nice!! That is actually a lot better as it is only 1500AD! :goodjob:

15. Beornhard

Beornhard Chieftain

Is there a way to change Portugal's color? Blue, white or even red would be more accurate than green.

Btw, great scenario. GEM is one of the best mods out there for sure.

16. Traiano

Traiano Warlord

It is quite easy.
    Just open the WBS file and find Portugal, then type in the new color.
    FYI, considering the high amount of civs in the mod, civ might automatically change other civ colors as well, once you change Portugal.
    I learned on my own mod that often changing one color trigger a chain reaction of changes.

If you dont want to do so, just change Portugal color and give green to another civ.