1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Scenario] Age of Discovery 1492-1792

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by Dale, Nov 29, 2005.

1. lifeaquatic

lifeaquatic Conquistadore

I respect the fact hes no calling it complete and I'm sick of the modders that post incomplete work in the complete section. It ruins credibility.

As for the AI and colonizing, its clear that they do it, but still there ought to be some type of economical gain from the new world. It was a fever to make colonies and bring the wealth to the home country, we should simulate that.

2. lifeaquatic

Okay played more for awhile and hers some thoughts:

Playability:

- Tech tree

Riflemen come to early and the bayonet unit to late, should be switched. I had rifleman in the 1500's, a 19th century technology. Cavalry comes to early as well, this unit probably represents the variey used in the 18th century as well as 19th, but I had it before rifleman.

- New World

I found little reason to be there. The constant barrage by barbarians was realistic but without the real world benefits, it seemed pointless. I could have just focused on taking mary over or some other weak nation instead. I would start by putting more resources in the carribean and you'll need to get a python guy to come up with something else. Perhaps a way of generating precious shipments as in civ 3 and allowing for some privateering fun by enabling the capture of these.

- Barbarians

They beging using swordsman and maceman and even musketman. This needs to stopped. Nothing but warriors, archers and horse archers if you ask me.

- Diplomacy

this is more of a question, did you make leanings to favor nations in this game? Mary should be tied to France and Spain should hate the aztecs and want to declare war on them as soon as they find them. I'm pretty sure this is possible rather easily, you tell me. I didn't notice any war from spain against aztecs or any other nations for that matter besides Portugal. Probably a good idea to make them have good relations with Portugal.

- AI and colonization

I think they agreed with me and saw little reason to go over therte. I didn't notice any AI colonies yet.

- Civics

Some of these should be changed or removed or just not possible. The governments should reflect more accurately as it was in this period.

Aesthetic (Most of these things you likely know already but I'm mentioning them so you can reference just in case):

- Religion

I would instead of changing the name of present religions, model each denomination after christianity. That way the music for them are the same and more fitting. Of course this won't be of any use until you have different icons, just a thought so you don't have to search for new music for each.

Misc.

- Mod should start in the late middle ages, music is more fitting. Plus you can take away some techs and make it more fun I think by having to advance into the new era. You start out with a lot and not a lot to look forward to.

- Railroad wokrer option, though not enabled should be removed.

- Musketeer looks far to French to be a generic for all Civs. I also don't see the reason of having an in between when really it reflects the same era as the regular musketman. Just have it take awhile to advance to the bayonet. That should be the upgrade, then later the rifleman.

Okay thats it. But I do want to conclude with that I find it very playable and enjoyable even though you haven't finished it yet. The map was very well done and city placement is superb. I really enjoy the various factions you have and the look and feel is very fitting. I cannot wait to see it completed.

3. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I don't know wheter this was discussed. You should make an Aztec religion to let Mozentuma have a religion. Just an idea to throw around.

4. lifeaquatic

Yes this is needed because they immediatly adopt the first religion that comes their way.

5. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Well now that I think about it, maybe this should happen because when Spain conquers them, Christianity should be spread.

6. lifeaquatic

Yes but only if Spain actually conquers them. The AI is not doing that now.

7. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Are they just allowing them to be?
    Cant you edit Python to have Spain invade Aztec in year X?

8. lifeaquatic

I'm sure but I don't think this has been done yet. My suggestion is to make Spain hate aztecs and vice versa with the diplomacy attributes.

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

yeah thats probably the way to go.

10. Corvuz

Corvuz Chieftain

I really like the idea of this scenario. I would include Denmark, Sweden, Courland, Scotland and Germany as major nations as well if I were you. These nations tried to colonize america as well and some of them actually managed to get footholds for quite some time (Denmark until 1917 and Sweden until 1878). Also some of them were important players in the european theatre.

11. lifeaquatic

I would advise against adding new civs until gameplay is balanced.

12. lifeaquatic

How close are we to maybe seeing a beta 2.0 or something? Hows it coming along?

Any new developments? Let us know as you have some serious anticipation here ;)

13. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Actually, look at the Python in the Greek World mod. There is a script there which swaps territories between nations on certain turns to simulate various wars, such as Alexander's conquests, the Punic Wars, et cetera.

14. Dale

Dale Deity

To all,

Beta2 should be out in the next few days. If not tomorrow, then thursday. :)

BTW, a lot of the recent suggestions can be done via python. I'll be looking at each one later, after the core of the scenario is finished. By Beta3 some python should be showing through. :)

Dale

Code:
    AoD TODO List!
    --------------

- Texts in other languages			DONE
    - Arab leader: Sulyman?				DONE
    - Explored squares in New World			DONE
    - City diversity: pop size, units		DONE
    - Europe begin diplomacy
    - Cordoba --> Sevilla, Vigo --> Santiago	DONE
    - Scoring victory condition?			DONE
    - City lists					MAJORS DONE
    - Scottish spelling				DONE
    - Leaderheads
    - Barb gunpowder units removed			DONE
    - City food shortages				DONE
    - Minor civs.  Playable or not?			PLAYABLE!
    - Game hints on load to AoD ones?
    - Dawn of Man text				DONE
    - European gold/silver to go			DONE
    - Macemen --> Men at Arms.			DONE
    - Arquebusier cost/balance
    - Starting civics
    - Tech tree: more cross pre-reqs
    - General unit tweaking
    - Consolidate text xml files			DONE
    - AI helper					DONE

15. lifeaquatic

Can't wait! ;) Let me know if you want me to do anything.

16. Dale

Dale Deity

Beta2 will be given a run-through before upload.

Hopefully the changes I made are to your liking.

Dale

Code:
    AoD TODO List!
    --------------

- Texts in other languages			DONE
    - Arab leader: Sulyman?				DONE
    - Explored squares in New World			DONE
    - City diversity: pop size, units		DONE
    - Europe begin diplomacy			CANCELED
    - Cordoba --> Sevilla, Vigo --> Santiago	DONE
    - Scoring victory condition?			DONE
    - City lists					MAJORS DONE
    - Scottish spelling				DONE
    - Leaderheads
    - Barb gunpowder units removed			DONE
    - City food shortages				DONE
    - Minor civs.  Playable or not?			PLAYABLE!
    - Game hints on load to AoD ones?
    - Dawn of Man text				DONE
    - European gold/silver to go			DONE
    - Macemen --> Men at Arms.			DONE
    - Arquebusier cost/balance			DONE
    - Starting civics				DONE
    - Tech tree: more cross pre-reqs		DONE
    - General unit tweaking				DONE
    - Consolidate text xml files			DONE
    - AI helper					DONE

17. lifeaquatic

can't wait ;)

18. Dale

Dale Deity

Beta2 is now available for testing. :)

Please see the first post in this thread.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE DELETE THE "Age of Discovery" FOLDER FROM YOUR MODS FOLDER! OTHERWISE YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE TEXTS IN-GAME!

Dale

19. lifeaquatic

Did tech tree adjustments fit into non xml? Because i think the tech tree still needs a great deal of work.

Rifling allows musketmen? They are using muskets not rifles, rifling would have brought about rifleman, a 19th century arsenal.

Also I notice that bayonet comesmuch later than rifleman still which is inaccurate, and cavalry comes rather early. Also is there really a need for 2 cannon units?

The civics still allow too much, representation should come with research as well as nationhood and free market. Freedom of religion should not appear at all.

Also the nations still have unique units listed in their opening screen text.

20. Rhianni

Rhianni Chieftain

Germany wasnt really a full nation at this time. They were smaller groups. The current saxony civ represents them well enough.

While Denmark and Sweeden might have colonized a little they were never big players. They would also cause the map to be redrawn. Changing the northern saxony city to denmark would just weaken them for France which already whoops up on saxony as it is.

I'm loving the mod. Cant wait to test out beta2