SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Philippine Natives are still available. Just saying.

Be careful what you recommend there. I can say from experience that it took me roughly 40 minutes to play each turn around Turn #200 as the Filipinos. Granted, it was against a fairly incompetent AI (Lieutenant level I think), but still not something to take lightly.

Speaking of Mexico, I thought it over. Instead of creating a Mexico resource, there should be a "Reconquista" resource. Probably somewhere in northern California. It's useless to anyone but the Mexicans, since only the Mexicans need a special line of overseas units.

Basically, if you capture the city with it, it's proof that Mexico has joined the ranks of the powerful nations(think Japan conquering Manchuria from Russia), and your units will be better accordingly.

I'm sure there'd be a means of improving the other industrial powers' abilities as well through resources only they can tap.

Obviously any resources like this there should only be ONE of, to prevent a country from just trading for them.

I like the idea. However, the problem is that AoI already has 32 strategic/luxury resources. Any more, and you'll get "ghost" resources popping up at random, enabling you to e.g. build Industrial troops in India or some such.

Why not make one wonder, available only to 3rd world countries that autoproduces better infantry. It would be available sometime in the first era, so a human player could rush to get it. It would later become obsolete in Ww1 when another wonder becomes available.

Why not make one wonder, available only to 3rd world countries that autoproduces better infantry. It would be available sometime in the first era, so a human player could rush to get it. It would later become obsolete in Ww1 when another wonder becomes available.

Good idea: that's well worth a shot. Something like 'Nationalist Myth', or 'Cultural Nationalism' or something might be appropriate

With regards to defensive troops, the third world nations can build Maxims anywhere. That's a HUGE advantage, and the one thing they have going for them against the Imperialists.

I would however, like for them to go the route of Japan and be able to possibly join the imperial powers. There are cases of rapid industrialisation throughout history, after all.

The idea of a Chinese Empire being able to go from the brink of destruction to global prominence is an awesome one anyway.

Third worlders can build better machineguns and also can build airships provided they capture an Industrial city. They get pretty good - if expensive - infantry if they take Industrial cities too. That just leaves the navy - they should get better naval builds in Industrial areas. Obviously nothing capable of holding a candle to Britain's super dreadnoughts, but Coastal Battleships just don't cut it.

I like the idea. However, the problem is that AoI already has 32 strategic/luxury resources. Any more, and you'll get "ghost" resources popping up at random, enabling you to e.g. build Industrial troops in India or some such.

What?

Doesn't setting the resource spawn rate to zero prevent that?

Third worlders can build better machineguns and also can build airships provided they capture an Industrial city. They get pretty good - if expensive - infantry if they take Industrial cities too. That just leaves the navy - they should get better naval builds in Industrial areas. Obviously nothing capable of holding a candle to Britain's super dreadnoughts, but Coastal Battleships just don't cut it.

Yeah, that's one of the two real problems I have that make playing non-Colonials difficult. Your ships suck and your artillery suck. When your best ships are strictly inferior to 2nd- or 3rd-generation Predreadnoughts, it gets depressing. And when your best artillery unit isn't available until halfway or two-thirds through the game and is obsolete before then ....

On the subject of giving the postcolonial civs better troops, why not give them an industrial-era unit called 'nationalist guerilla' or something of the sort, to reflect the growing nationalist rebellions everywhere from Ireland to India? Because these were generally amateurs armed with machetes and flintlock rifles, they would be cheap and not especially strong. They wouldn't be much good against an era-equivalant unit from one of the Great Powers, but put 'em in a stack and attack a city and you'd do some damage. Plus, because they're cheap you could build loads, allowing a civ to (barely) hang on to some cities in the face of a sustained war against a stronger civ, reflecting the fact that even when the colonial administration rounded up the rebel leaders and sent in the tanks, there would still be sporadic flare-ups of armed opposition
:spear:

@ChaosArbiter+Tanicius Fox
Maybe a wonder producing battleships for 3rd worlders could also be incorporated. I also hardly ever play as them just because there is no fun in having your ships run away from any other decent navy.

To answer an earlier question, I've completely eliminated the USA on admiral difficulty playing as the Japanese. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Japan should always launch an early war against Russia imho (not China - they can be dealt with later... bwahahaha). With good micro-management and by making use of your fleet you can take out Vladivostok and/or Port Arthur early. This gives you a nice industrial base to expand into Siberia later. Seoul and Vladivostok are both great cities if you develop them properly.

Step 2: Take Seward, Midway, and Hawaii. This is very easy. Seward is a nice colonial city once you mine out the surrounding mountains and is a good place to build the Great Gold Rush.

Step 3: Most Japanese players will now go full-throttle against China, the Philippines, or expand further into Siberia. All of these are sound strategies. But, since we're taking on the USA, you are going to want to send your fleets across the Pacific. By this time I had two corps from my war with the Russians which really helps. I'd also built a massive fleet. Your destroyers and BBs are great for redlining the defenders of coastal cities. I waited until the US went to war with Mexico... Gave them a few turns to throw their troops south... and then hit coastal California. The trick here is TIMING. If you wait until Uncle Sam has cleaned out Canada and Mexico then you basically have very little chance of invading North America successfully (and much easier targets elsewhwere). What you have to do is hit the US as it goes to war with Britain and Mexico. Their weak point is either San Diego or Seattle since you will then have friendly Mexicans or Canucks on one flank instead of being completely surrounded.

Step 4: Once you have a beach head established, start shipping over massive amounts of infantry and howitzers. Use your artillery and your corps to cut US rail lines leading to California and Mexico... This makes it much harder for them to counter-attack.

Step 5: From here on in, it's basically a massive artillery grind. Once the Rockies are secure and you have a good number of corps up and running you should be able to gradually grind across the continent. You'll need to keep sending a steady supply of men over from Japan, but, as an island, you have the luxury that you can afford to leave the Motherland lightly defended. (Note: I would NOT recommend this strategy with a continental European power attacking from the Atlantic because you'd have to send so many boys across the Atlantic that your greedy neighbours could hit you back home in Europa! Japan and the UK can do it safely as islands though.) The one thing to be careful of is that Russia doesn't reverse your gains in Siberia/Manchuria/Korea. But the Russians usually have at least someone atttacking them from the west so are unlikely to have the resources for a major hit on you in the Far East. Once you get Industrialization 2 it's problem solved. Just pay Germany or Turkey or someone to invade Russia from the west if Ivan starts causing you problems.

And that's how I conquered the US with Japan on admiral. Just remember: TIMING. Don't wait for them to conquer the Canadians and Mexicans and THEN decide to attack them after they've held North America for a few uneventful years and built a ridiculous horde of troops. Hit them hard and early while Mexicans and Canadians are still around to divide their attentions.

Also, I am opposed to reducing the power of the USA in this scenario. Even by this period, the US was an absolute beast once it got rolling. I think the scenario is done well. France, UK, and Germany have better industrial infrastructure than USA to start (accurate), but USA has greater potential once it develops its huge lands (also accurate). Conquering the USA (and to some extent Russia) should be the toughest task your army can face in the scenario because that's accurate, just like conquering Britain should be the toughest task your navy can face. It's realistic imho. I like keeping the US strong.

Thanks for the post Bogatyr. Right now I have a decent foothold on the southeast coast(as mentioned before) but I was forced to aign a peace treaty to compemsate for spreading my forces too thinly. Canada os about halfway taken, Mexico a little better, but the mere quality of there troops males it hard to clear themout of your territory with mere Spanish Infantry without distracting yoir artillery from the offensive. I am going to try rushing troops like mad to get my momentum going before it's too late.(this is all while fighting another 2-pronged attack against the Ottomans in Anatolia and the Middle East.) Hopefully I will be able to rescue my British and Mexican allies before it's too late...

you guys are discussing all these new wonders and resources etc which is fine. however, the buildings are maxed out and so are the resources. so whatever you may have planned will take some reorganizing. by that i mean you would have to swap out existing buildings and resources for whatever you want to put in. now, keep in mind that we looked at a lot of the suggestions that have been bantered about and they just did work for me. of course, this is one man's opinion and all that. and i don't want to sound like a scrooge b/c this is a game and scenario that we all enjoy. with that said, i don't particularly approve of the changes nor would i implement them for a variety of reasons. i'm not opposed to folks modifying the biq file for their own private use. but i am opposed to modifications getting posted here in this thread. sorry :) i don't want to seem like an a-hole. but this is my baby and i spent a ton of time on it, deliberated on so much with it. again, don't want to come across as a douche. i hope you all understand :D someday i will revisit these files and get it back to where i was prior to the PC crash i had. carry on :salute:

Dude, it's your baby and none of us would dream of posting modifications to it without your prior approval. If (on the other hand) when you go back to it, you decide you need help, I think I'm speaking for us all when I say "we'd be honoured":worship:

No one can build Settlers.

This is a Scenario where the cities are already placed and no need for settlers.
Come on guys... do you realize what this game is about?

If anyone "Tweaks" this game to suit their particular interests and manages to accomplish it without Great disruption of the basic game play factors... go for it... that is a personal matter but this game was well thought out to present all factors as best as possible and should not be changed.

I am sure that El Justo will get back to the adjustments he was adding before his computer crashed in due time.

You must remember that the thousands of hours of work to develop this game was not any simple endeavor and certainly will not be changed lightly.

There are factors that IF changed would alter the game play and ruin the game. That said, anyone can change the game as they like on a personal basis but to suggest that anyone would take over and try to alter this game for the public is absurd.

Anyone who makes Scenarios will tell you that changing any simple factor will radically change the game play factors and create many unforeseen problems and the game will become something other than what it was intended to be.

Agreed, we were simply brainstorming to see if there was a way to give non-Western nations halfways-decent late-game troops without altering the gameplay or compromising the historical accuracy. My only gripes with the scenario are that its addictive and its so detailed that it takes forever to load on my crap pc. Given that these gripes are essentially good things, I think its safe to say that El Justo's hard work is much appreciated!

Top Bottom