Scenario: American Civil War (18611865)

If you set the unit to blink while in default animation does that mean that every unit visible in the map will be blinking or just the one that you have currently selected?

Hmm, I don't know yet. I might skip this bit afterall. But the icons will remain.

I think I might redo the units later tonight, add icons to all of them.

What kind of death animation should static units have? An explosion?

Cimbri said:
What kind of death animation should static units have? An explosion?

That's a tough question indeed. Most of the hardcore wargames I play that use these types of static units don't have a "death" animation. The units simply disappear. Something tells me though that that might not fit right in a C3C game. We'll have to think about this one some more but an explosion type death animation might be good.

I think I'll go with the explosion then.

Oh, and I've done icons for infantry, special units, cavalry, and militia.

Federal navy bombarding the forts along the Mississippi River.

Gathering an army at Manassas while the Federals are marching on Leesburg.

Forgot to mention that the unit graphics are borrowed from a custom mod for Forge of Freedom and various icons from AACW. Good mix.

Very nice indeed. I have both FoF and AACW. Both are great games. FoF gives you complete control over land battles and a fairly good manufacturing and economy management whereas AACW does not allow for control over tactical battles but does give you a lot of control over unit supply, economy, and production.

To add a bit of variation, I'm gonna add a few more special units.

(non-buildable) Native American Cavalry for the confederates and perhaps Marines for both factions. Do we need marines? I think so. the Native Americans are slightly better than the Irregular Cavalry but less powerful than the Cavalry Regiment.

Confederate cavalry forces (NATO unit markers):

Irregular Cavalry (Company)
Native American Cavalry (Battalion, non-buildable)
CSA Cavalry (Regiment)
JEB Stuart's Cavalry (Brigade, non-buildable)

The NA cavalry will get a little icon, besides the battalion marker, so you can tell them apart from other cavalry.

Confederate cavalry are better than their eraly Union counterparts, but the later units will even it out.

Union cavalry forces (NATO unit markers):

Jayhawker (Company, non-buildable)
Union Cavalry* (Regiment)
Union Cavalry** (Regiment)
Philip Sheridan's Cavalry (Brigade, non-buildable)

Confederate Indian Mounted Rifles and Irregular Cavalry, Trans-Mississippi Theater.

...And new fortress terrain model.

Looking good with those forts. I think the non-buildable Native American and specialized Union and Confederate cavalry is a good idea too. IIRC you can indeed set a small wonder to autobuild one and only one unit. So for example have a special wonder build the JEB Stuart Cavalry brigade. There is a trick to doing this but I can't remember how. I think it was Tom2050 that asked about this possibility or knew the answer to the question.

I abandoned those grey artillery NATO units and Aaglo's guns are back in. It just looks better. Besides I figured that it was okay to keep animated guns when I kept animated ships.

The static units are still there, though, so I can include a version where you can use them instead of the animated ones.

All I need to do now is add Cavalry Brigades for CSA and the Union, and the static units will be done. :)

Working on the map and units: :)

Added Union-held Fort Pickens in the Gulf. That should provide a base of operations against New Orleans and the Deep South.

Cavalry Brigade special unit. There is also a Union version.

Unit changes:

All units are invisible! The territory is vast, I'd like to allow for enemy armies to march around in secret. Think Lee's uncertainty about the whereabouts of the army of the Potomac during the Gettysburg Campaign.

Militia are blind. Though invisible themselves, they cannot see other invisible units. Sunday soldiers at best, they are nevertheless cheap.

Infantry (and Garrison) are invisible and can see other invisible units.

Cavalry are invisible and can see other invisible units. They also have radar ability and make excellent scouts.

The in-game land combat units.

I have no idea what kind of icon I can use for Union Coloured Infantry and late war infantry.

Artillery are invisible and can see other invisible units. Siege Artillery can only be transported by road or ship.

Ships are invisible and can see other invisible units.

Well... I just did this one for the hell of it...

"Faugh a ballagh!"

So far the Irish Brigade is the only brigade with special graphics...

Really starting to shape up nicely. Having all the units invisible will add to the challenge of playing this scenario and I do think it makes things more realistic.

Really starting to shape up nicely. Having all the units invisible will add to the challenge of playing this scenario and I do think it makes things more realistic.

It certainly leaves you in a bit of a pickle if an enemy army suddenly attacks somewhere in the hinterland. It might be a large army or a few raiders. But cavalry can quickly find out.

Hmm, cavalry... haven't quite figured out how to avoid the silly problem of cavalry (move three) moving faster along railroads (roads) than infantry (move one or two).

The static graphics look great! Everyone will know the symbols of divisions and regiments in no time!

I'm curious how tough it will be with all units invisible... I think it will definitely give AI some advantage over human player (since for me at least, more units will have to be used to secure your borders, run patrols, extra defenders), whereas the AI will likely still play with similar style as it does with visible units.

It should be quite interesting, looking forward to it.

Tom

Oh man. Haven't really had any time to work on this stuff. But I have made an important change to combat.

Whenever I research regimental histories, they always seem to be raised at full strength, around 1.000 men, and muster out with half or fever. Based on what I've read in Battlecry of Freedom, it seems that the various states were more concerned with raising the most regiments than reinforcing those who had suffered heavy combat casualties.

So combat experience now works... in reverse!

Silly you say?

Maybe, but since terrain disease does not seems to work for anything but jungle, I have to figure out a new way to weaken field units. I don't think anyone ever did something like this before.

This means that a field army will be worn down if not reinforced with "Fresh" units. Hell, even the brigade units with their extra hit-points will not be indestructible killing machines they were.

How does this sound?

It sounds like an interesting idea...

One thing which would have to be tested is what if a unit with 1HP gets promoted? Do they remain with 1 HP, or do they die?

Top Bottom