Scenario: American Civil War (18611865)

Virginia slightly reworked:

Manassas and Front Royal have been moved. Manassas Gap to the Shenandoah Valley added in the mountains. Some other minor terrain alterations near Harper's Ferry added.

I have added a number of special units, like the Stonewall Brigade and the Iron Brigade. Their attack/defence strength is no greater than your regular infantry, but they have more hit points. This is to make up for the AI's inability to use armies.

I am thinking of adding a buildable Brigade unit to the game.

Is it possible to just get the map without all of the other parts of the scenario?

Sure. Remember, some areas of the East Coast are slightly out of proportion. This was done for game purposes, with "oversized" famous landmarks and such. For instance, Boston is on a peninsula, with Bunker Hill nearby, Richmond has Malvern Hill next to it, Mary's Heights at Fredericksburg and so on. And the Virginia peninsula and other peninsulas have been added so you can recreate all the little campaigns of the Civil War.

Attachments

• ACW10.rar
    48 KB · Views: 161
I have been watching the Civil War journal for the second time, so this would be really cool.

I just changed the map again. Added more hills around Tennessee and Kentucky.

I've noticed that the Ohio and Tennessee Rivers do a good job of keeping the fighting in the State of Tennessee. Pretty cool. Same as with the Potomac River in Virginia.

Well, vmxa, I hope this scenario will do history a bit of justice. I have been trying very hard to make it historically correct and playable at the same time. :)

Well, the Virginia peninsula has been overhauled and pretty much redone. Other changes have also been made in Virginia. Since much of the action will take place there, I am trying to give the AI a chance.

The toughest part of this game is to get the AI to play along. Some of those "woah, nice move" expereinces I have seen are probably the result of coincidence more than AI-General Lee on the battlefield. But I am doing what I can to make the fight against the AI an enjoyable experience. Using coast as rivers is really useful to get the AI to fight battles where the actual battles were fought.

I could really use some game testers, though. I don't really have a lot of time for playing around in-game.

Although my current Civ workload is heavy atm with my projects, I still would be interested in helping playtest. I could commit to playtesting about 4 to 6 hours a week.

Sorry, been working overtime this week. Oh, and I can't seem to stop trying to perfect the map.

But Moff Jerjerrod, gameplay is what I want tested the most. When I get home, I will see if the current version is playable, then send it to you/upload it here.

Sounds good! I finished reading Bruce Catton's Terrible Swift Sword, A Stillness at Appomattox, and The Coming Fury last year, so I think I would make a good fit for playtesting from a historical perspective. :)

A couple of screenshots taken while I was play testing just now.

Virginia. Guns captured at Harpers Ferry being transported south.

Mississippi. Wyrm's awesome gunboats being put to good use.

Armed forces: The sides are fairly even at game's start

Question: since there are about 19 units (11 buildable and the rest are special units) using the same rifleman graphics, should I skip the animated units and go for static ones? Fairline made some really good looking ACW units for CivII.

Nice screenies, particularly the second one. It reminds me of Ageod's ACW, a game I hold in high regard.

I'll have to check out Fairline's work but I would not be opposed to animated units for an ACW scenario. I wonder what other players think?

Nice screenies, particularly the second one. It reminds me of Ageod's ACW, a game I hold in high regard.
Now I had to check out that game. Downloaded the demo... and I just couldn't help but wonder how those cities would look in civ, so I did some copy-paste work.

Think I'm gonna buy ACW. It seems pretty cool. Anyway, if I ever get around to asking the developers, I might use these cities in my scenario. It's what I have been looking for all this time. Simple and small cities.

I love those cities! They look good. I have ACW from Ageod and it is a great game. If you are accustomed to fighting tactical battles though they are not a feature of this game. Instead combat is abstracted but the decisions you make such as army composition, leaders, supplies etc. really affect the outcome of battles. I highly recommend this game to anyone who is a civil war buff.

Yeah, I really like those cities too. Think I am going to stick with them.

Now, static units are always a bit boring, but what if I used regimental/brigade military symbols and such? I think someone actually did a few of those some time ago. I'll keep the ships though. Edit: negative on units, they were unit32 symbols.

...Oh, and in case anyone is wondering what ACW game we're talking about, you can check it out here.

You know what would really be cool is to have some of the artwork they used for their units incorporated into a C3C scenario. Below is an example of what I mean. I think these could be the basis of some nice looking static units.

Top Bottom