[Scenario] Earth January 1942

how do i download this and what mods do i need? still new to this site so still not sure hoe to do stuff

sorry for the really late reply, if you havn't been able to figure it out yet

download it here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470

There are two seperate files, I would follow Gedemons installation instructions also on that page.

@Daybreak
Hopefully with addition of the Military operations the US (especially the AI) can get more involved. And I know Gedemon added the increased ocean tile movement which seems to help alot.

Gosu, research projects require a military academy.

I am playing with Japan. Its turn 18 now and I'm not able to research any projects in my city with the academy. Is it too early in the game or why is that ?

Just figured out i should post here instead of the ww2 europe thread for my concerns and suggestions about 1942:

1. Indonesian cities need harbors. This will help the japanese subsidize the cost of their occupationt hrough the trade. Most all of the island cities should have a harbor, to allow for the embarcation.

2. Russia needs a tremendous land army put out in Western Siberia that will arrive to fight germany 7-12 turns in. Germany is incredibly over-positioned to crush Russia within 10-15 turns and Russia is incapable of outproducing or catching up in sheer infantry to just defend their entire line. In reality, the Russian line needs to be 2 or 3 tiles deep and full of infantry. At this stage in 1942, the german war machine was grinding a halt in southern russia due to stiffined resistance from Russia and their willingness to occupy every inch of ground with entrenched infantry and massed artillery.

I would suggest adding somewhere between 8 and 10 infantry and 4-6 artillery to the immediate border, especially right behind moscow and leningrad, and seeing if the osmosis of free space ins outhern russia might 'soak up' the german reinforcements.

3. It was already mentioned, but USA needs a single tile city in western England to base aircraft and rally and then embarc large land forces.

4. 1 or 2 more low population cities in Algeria and Tunisia would add to its strategic value.

5. China needs to have a ton of more infantry. Similar to Russia, they are too easily rolled up by a human player playing Japan. One suggestion i might have is to give chinese infantry a special buff that hardens them to attack, making them harder to kill. I watched the China Theatre very closely while playing as Germany and Japan just got quagmired due to their inferier gameplay, despite overwhelmign advantage. In my subsequent game as Japan, china was crushed with pathetic ease. i had captured their two big cities within 10 turns.

China needs infantry to occupy every tile of Chinese territory in eastern china, and to occupy every tile bordering Japanese territory in the middle contested area southeast of Xian. This would be the easiest thing to impliment.

6. Buildings. Why can you not build banks or harbors anywhere? I would be ok with a bunch of the islands being undeveloped and having to build or buy harbors there, but i cannot even do that, and subsequently they become worthless. Harbors and banks would make it much easier to really justify a huge japanese empire, much less fund the whole thing.

7. Western desert campaign. It starts with the victory already assured for the axis, which is just plain backwards. in january 1942, italy was on its heels, and the Afrika Korps was just getting involved, beginning to push to El Alemian. England needs 2 more tanks there.

8. Sahara desert. This should be basically impassable. Some tile-specific conditions may be required, but i shouldnt be able to drive 3 tanks down to lagos by turn 20 and start sacking the Sub-Sahara.

9. On the whole, its still pretty easy, but not as easy as the Europe scenario. USA doesnt get involved enough in a significant way, though. On a purely AI driven basis, i would make all of north africa and vichy france and bordeuax "Occupied American Cities" to incentivize the AI to recapture them. Having them be 'occupied french' is good and well from a historical sense, but the original impetus to liberate france is insufficient for the AI to get involved, and they dont harass Europe in the same way they go after the Phillipines and Guadalcanal.

I dont have a ton of experience with the mechanics of teh AI, but putting whatever hatred negative values at the top end for the belligerent powers here would be ideal.

10. Spawn soviet convoys that start in New York and head to Murmansk. They should all be fighters, bombers, and heavy armor. Ditto English convoys heading from New York to Plymouth/Liverpool.

11. If the Axis captures Egypt, spawn gold convoys heading to Italy and Serbia for Germany and Italy, to incentivize this.

12. I know this is asking a lot, but the invasion plain of france/germany/poland/russia needs to be heigheted by at least 3 tiles. Its way too crampt. The map will look funny, given the accuracy of the rest of the map, but it could be compressed to the north in Scandenavia, and the extreme north of Russia.

13. I think transportation rates are fine, but i should find some way to hardcode the AI wanting to move 'in blob' and not 1 at a time. Move 3 infantry and 3 tanks together, not 1 every 2 turns to arrive alone and die, etc. WW2 was exemplary of 'massed manuever' as 3rd generation warfare, and the AI needs to be taught to do this.

14. I just wrote a longpost in the europe thread about my ideas for incorporating strategic bombing of cities, the need for city repair to cost money, etc, so i wont paste that here, although its worth considering if you and Gedemon work together on these things.

I'd be happy to test new versions for bugs/playability. Great work, i prefer this map to all the others, with the exception of just sitting through 200 turns as USA int he 1936 to reenact the invasion of North Africa, which i did while watching television and 2 entire movies to just kill the time while the AI processed 200 turns of nothing lol.

Youve got a great product here, but before you make other factions playable like Australia or Canada, i would really encourage you guys to refine it a little further.

Ya, two easy things that would make this imminently more playable right off the bat:(at least, easy by my gauging of the difficulty degree of modding)

1) Harbors for starting on nearly all of the indonesia and pacific islands,

2) Capable of building all of the structures in the original R.E.D. 1939-1945 europe game.

With these two things, this would be a terrific mod, minor balancing issues aside.

There should be some kind of plane that is good against ships like a torpedo plane. There should also be a dive bomber for the U.S. Also beef up China and Russia they got smashed in my game.

There should be some kind of plane that is good against ships like a torpedo plane. There should also be a dive bomber for the U.S. Also beef up China and Russia they got smashed in my game.

This is a product of the incomplete nature of this particular scenario. Attack aircraft have a bonus against naval units, but most nations are unable to access most of their units due to the incomplete unitlist/building list or something.

Russia and China both need some kind of militia unit that has cheap upkeep and durable on defense but is not good at attacking. It could be useful everywhere as a 'battlespace filler' but other factions with smaller areas to defend like the uk would overutalize such a unit.

But its become increasingly obvious as ive given it more thought that modding in specific behavior for overall strategy to the ai and tactics for the enterprising use of units in general and economy of force as a whole is just way beyond the scope of what the engine could tolerate.

If there was a larger and robust community of interested people, it might stand to make it more userfriendly for multiplayer, but mp takes so long and civ5 really isnt situated for good multiplayer from a platform pov.

but anyway

I think I've found a bug. I was invading japan as the US and some jap troop was on a mountain attacking me but I couldn't attack back. Another one is that I could land on a British aircraft carrier in port and my plane was left behind when the carrier moved.

I think I've found a bug. I was invading japan as the US and some jap troop was on a mountain attacking me but I couldn't attack back. Another one is that I could land on a British aircraft carrier in port and my plane was left behind when the carrier moved.

pretty sure the issue of carriers is a logn documented bug without an obvious solution - rebasing aircraft to a city tile, even if there is a carry on it, puts the aircraft in the city, always. they are never loaded onto the carrier. so you need to spend another turn rebasing to the aircraft carrier once the carrier has left the city. This makes sense for a variety of reasons, the primary playability being that you cant just extend your aircrafts range by half the carriers movepoints or to preserve the security of your aircraft carrier.

there are tons of bugs on this map, a lot of work left to do.

is there anyway to turn off permanent alliances and permanent wars? When I set up game, I checked 'alternate history' cause I thought I might be able to make peace with some allied powers, namely the russian giant.

I was playing as Japan and the Chinese were really putting up a great resistance. I conquered all of asia and my fleet was bombarding Darwin. I captured Honolulu and as such was recieving periodic naval assaults from America. For some reason my reinforcements were really low but I think that's cause of my playing limitations, so my infantry would heal 1 or 2 HP per turn. Anyways,.. one turn, I see 3 russian tanks at the north of China and this is the turning point of the war cause there is no way I can hold the line up there. The US is also using naval ships to spot my fleet at Hawaii and bomb the out of them with planes. My moral was low, CAN I MAKE PEACE WITH USSR N AMERICA and continue fighting the Chinese???

This map is really one of my favourites. It would be great to add a 1936 world map, with just a few changes.

And in the long-terme, I'd really enjoy a 1914 european or world map, with RED.

Congratulations for your work !

I accidentally poste this in the Europe 1939 topic, but here is my problem which has shown up on several of the maps.

I love the mod but when I click on the orange Choose Production banner and click on a production, nothing happens! It just acts like I didn't click it. I had already disabled G&K, and after the production problem showed up, I tried removing the expansion folder, yet my PC was strangely acting up and the game froze. I was loving the complexity of the one turn I played (I am a WW2 history buff, and it seemed to follow the timeline quite well), but would like to play more!

Also, just a suggestion, this game could fit in well with GK, because Marines would make island hopping a little more realistic. Thanks! Oh, and I use RED on all my saves and it makes it look so much better.

I've read through this thread and noticed a lot of talk about not being able to build projects, or once you've completed them not being able to build the actual unit. I've seen that it was supposed to be fixed with a certain version, but I have the newest and I have that problem. In 1939 Europe, projects worked, but not 1942 or 1936. Anything I can do? It really ruins the playthrough.

@DeadShotm1: I had that problem too. After disabling G&K, the problem still continued even though it was supposed to stop. I played with disabling DLC and discovered that ALL DLC had to be disabled. If that doesn't work for you, disable all but Mongolia DLC.

same here. After disabling G&K i was able to start szenario, but then half of the units that i expected in the beginning did not exist. Also production seems not to work in any way.

Any suggestion?

"We Shall Never Surrender" doesn't work!

yes, it's in the todo list, only the Soviet, German and American traits are added. The others are either vanilla or to be implemented.

any updates on this map coming soon? seems like a lot of bugs were reported that i was going to report.

game needs
-more harbors
-integration of gods and kings (MG's, Religion, Spies, etc)

Hey sorry guys I havn't posted in a while,

I've actually completely reconstructed a new Earth map which is about the size of the Giant Earth map except Europe is bigger, I feel it's much more realistic also. But I'm creating a world 1936 map which gives me a base to work from, the city names are much more realistic as are their locations and populations which are horribly off on the current 1942 map.

Each nation is much more balenced also, things like coast tiles are limited which means embarked movement is much quicker. The amount of productive cities is realistically balanced and so is personal and material. I added a building which will decrease production of military units in cities that are colonies so that the mass production of unit problems in the Euro/Seaboard 1936 map will be gone (Like having 50 Spitfires in one city by 1940...). I hope to put as much detail into the map as possible.

Anyway once this 1936 map is done, I will remake the 1942 map addressing the problems you guys have came up with. I should have screenshots of the 1936 map soon! And Greece will be playable too.

@lose
G&K won't be possible until the entire mod is upgraded which isn't easy I'm sure Gedemon is working on it :).

And Gedemon if their is anything I can do to help upgrade to G&K I'd be happy to help. And the Chinese UA works I think? IMO I think Bushido is perfect for Japan maybe change it too "Bushido Code".

That's great news :D

About G&K, I'm not sure the work is worth the gains. The G&K spy system is almost useless in it's current form for the scenario (no techs to stole), and I don't see how religion would be implemented here.

Now a spy system could be used of course, but even based on the current G&K version, it would require some works.

Only advantage I can think of is that the air AI seems a bit better, and interception would give XP without workaround (while the interception XP system of that mod has been broken by the pre-G&K patch, ironically...)

But as I finally plan to completely take over the air AI to be able to add airfields on the map...

I've not tried the Chinese UA, so I can't tell (did you made a change to the trait in the civs XML ?), but I agree that the Japanese one is fitting.

Top Bottom