• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[SCENARIO] World War I

I just finished the scenario as Italy - and Considered it a victory since I lost no Italian cities and ended up with both Trieste and Graz. The defense of Graz took up the last third of the war and had some very vicious moments.
When the scenario ended it announced that germany had won and then just sat there waiting for other civilizations and never gave any final screens - I like to view the process of the game at the end.
To Date this is the best scenario I have played (best civs is still first people),
I am going on to Trips Southeast Asia and then to Foundations of Empire.
I just want to thank everyone who has made/helped make these scenario's , mods, Civ's, and maps. You are at least 50% of the beauty of Civ 4. The game itself is excellent, but you guys(&girls) are the icing on the cake. Thanks to all.
:goodjob:

Trip said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone....

I would try one more time. Everyone else seems to be able to get things working so there's probably something lingering somewhere in \My Documents\ or something. It's odd that everything else seems to be working. Whenever things don't work like this for me I just uninstall-delete-reinstall a few times and see if it goes away. ;)

Trip, thanks for theCiv3 Civil War scenario - I enjoyed it.

I would like to enjoy 'World War I' & 'Battle for East Asia' but I appear to be having similar troubles to Pigfarmer. After 3-4 complete uninstall/defrag/clean installs of Vanilla Civ4, then Patch 1.61, then step-by-step opening of game, with following results:

1. Could start new game, load saved game, & play 'Desert War' mod without any problem (with v.1.61 game seemed to load faster, too).

2. On installing WWI & BfEA, can start new game, load saved game with no problems, BUT on trying to play either Mod, game says must restart, restarts, then CTD as first panel is loading. Nor can I play 'Desert War' at all - same result - CTD.

3. Initially loaded Mods in MODS folder of Civ4 programs folder where vanilla Mods were loaded on original install. CTD. Tried loading in MODS folder in My Games doc. folder. CTD. Tried both - CTD. Loaded by copying .zips into Mods folders, then unzipped. Deleted all old & unnecessary files. CTD.

4. So - can play normal games - cannot play ANY Mods/Scerios.

Help!:cry:

wanderer@idx.com.au

Attachments

• drwtsn32.log.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 172
Great scenario.

I played first as GB where I managed to save Belgum and France as the cost of heavy casualties to my contemptable little army. Later attempts to knock out the Ottomans did not go so well. I capture the middle east and invaded Asia Minor when the germans won on time. I didn't manage my cities and failed to account for rebels both proved disasterous. Interestingly the rebelion started in Ireland.

I was more successfull with Germany knocking out France as per the real German plan before tackling the East and Italy. I gave up invading Russia after capturing the baltic ports it was too big. The yanks anoyingly kept tuning up as well as the Brits, so my vast armies had to be well spread out to deal with them and rebels.

Boths attemps led to resonably historically accurate, might have been, outcomes. Certainly the best scenario I have played. A few civ specific reskins or units might help to add colour, thought that may be asking too much of a freebie

Many thank to Trip. Though I did waste most of a wet weekend and failed to do any domestic duties.

How big is the map?

This mod runs unusually fast, which is suprising considering the size of this huge map.

All in all, good work Trip. Most polished scenario out there.

Well, I've got a problem. I'm playing as the Ottoman Empire and everything was going good until I tried advancing a turn from August 1918 to September 1918, this comes up:

Any help?

Well I got that problem resolved, but now I got another one, it should be a whole lot easier. I want Germany to make peace with the allies, but when I go to world mode and make Germany peaceful with those other nations, all the central powers make peace with the allies. Anyway to just get Germany to make peace?

^That's sadly what I was thinking, I didn't know if there was someplace you could do to change that. Thanks for the response.

So here it is, i play this in Noble and as GB.

I didnt make any units for 20 turns, just to have planes, isntead i build ub almost all my Britain and ireland cities with buildings, i manage to save belgium at the cost of the half starting army and around then i start production of: 1 cavalry in edinbourg, 1 cannon in edinbourg and 4 infary in london, bristol, manchester and Hull, also edinbourg and plymouth was my plane manufacturer.

I just build build and build for 15 turns, i manage to have an army of 35 infary, 10 cavalry and 10 cannons with 9 planes to accompanie them, i also recaptured some french cities and leave guard behind since france wasnt producing much, the strange is that i didnt saw any german offensive with serious force all this time...

And then the campaing starts!

I must share a "secret" with all o f you, the woodsman promotion was a really savior! 20 of my infary have lvl 2 woodsman and as result they had 19 X 1,75 of 75% more defence when defending in forest wich means 50% more defence there, so the germans were facing units with 38 strength in defence!

First goal was the city of Strassburg, i fortified my army in front of the city for 4 turns, a veeeery long 4 turns, in the first wave i manage to lost only 1 infary but all my foot units were less than 50% of their power, i send my planes to see from where reinforcemnts were comming and i bomb them! Also 5 fresh units straight from the mainland came to help and another 5 units came from french and belgium who was guarding cities. Like that 4 turn based by and my army was now more experienced and 20 new units and 6 new planes join the army, then i stroke! i lost 3 units BUT i kill 25 units (the 10 was cannons who had withdraw when they hit me) after i took the city in order to secure it i pillage with my cavalry the roads close to it. I wait 2 turns to be reinforced, i left behind 5 infary to guard it and 5 more that was badle woonded, now an army of 50+ units set offensive, i deside to make a straght line front and then sweep out the rest of the germany, in the next 8 turns stuttgart and munich felt easy. Then i deside to reorganize the army, i was 30 turns before it ends and 2 turns ago tanks was available and the first 2 join my army, raiding german cavalry mess my railroad connection and untill it was rebuilder i deside not to wait for them and strike with artillery and infary!
So 1 tank with 4 infary start marching for prague who had 2 badle wounded units from my diplane bombs... 35 units (1 tank 7 cavalry, 6 cannons and the rest infary) start the march for leipzig (with the thought to march to berlin) The Armored divisions (11 tanks) breached the france-germany borders and marched to Colonge. This is how my game is going untill now 20 turns to the end of game :) to do this i played 3 times as GB, i did the same mistakes done in the real war and manage to lose and also to have germans in the mainland near london many times...

Also to the east with the ottomans, i conquered all the middle east and messopotamia and now im is Mikra asia (greek word i dont know the english) and along with venizelos i m ready to take kinstantinoupolis back :) and all that with a small army with 5 artillery and 5 advanced infary (i have some basic infary commin together and place them as guards). The war there was easy but not that easy when i left only 1 unit back and not before i start building reinforcments in more than 2 cities.

*Stats*
2 turns before victory
Cavalry killed: 53 lost:7
Basic light artillery killed: 32 lost:8
Advanced light artillery killed: 23 lost:6
Machine gun killed: 24 lost:0
Light Machine gun killed: 17 lost:0
Tank killed:0 Lost: 14
Poison gas killed:15 lost: 7
Biplane: Killed:23 Lost:15
Basic infary (rebels) killed 105
Basic german infantry killed: 5
Advanced german infantry killed: 27
Basic ottoman infantry killed: 38
advanced ottoman infantry killed: 11
Basic british infantry lost: 33
advanced british infantry lost: 5

Total losses: 95 units (and 19 sea units more)

Game result from stats, germans had military based in artillery and cavalry and ottomans mostly infantry, also austro hungarian when i reach their borders had only 1-2 units in their cities max :S i dont know why they were so low in military and why they didnt send units to defend their cities from me, i manage to capture 4 cities in 4 turns sending 2 units each and backing them up with 7 biplanes.

I attach the final map and the final map with my armies advance, the white is the main army of artillery, cavalty, artillery and infantry and the grey and blue is the reinforcments (blue is 8 tanks and grey is 10 tanks) that have most tanks. :)

Attachments

• worldwar1map.gif
    worldwar1map.gif
    194.3 KB · Views: 396
  • worldwar1armymap.gif
    worldwar1armymap.gif
    192.4 KB · Views: 379
I downloaded and started playing it yesterday. I'm really glad you made this, Trip. World War I has interested me for a long time, and you depicted the scenario very well. The borders, the cities, the forces, the events, the tech tree, and almost everything else is looking good. The permanent alliance thing is kind of annoying though. I tried sending a Great Merchant to an allied city, but I couldn't get any money. I had to trade outside my alliance for that. And I'm kinda annoyed that when I force an enemy to accept peace terms I end up at peace with all of their allies. Furthermore, I understand how the automatic redeclaration of war is necessary to make this a war scenario, but it kinda makes me sad too. The only purpose of war in my normal games is to achieve peace. Funny really, but I'm dissapointed that I'm robbed of my only purpose for war in this game. Since peace is impossible I get bored with the war, since I feel like there's no goal whatsoever. I'm not interested in new territory, I'm just interested in keeping what I have, and that's proven somewhat easy against the AI. Then again, I'm playing Germany. Maybe I should play as Italy, or better yet, Serbia. Since playing as a major power is boring, playing as an underdog should be fun.

You may want to consider putting Russia in its own alliance, maybe w/ serbia in case that faction feels compelled to surrender with out making the western powers make a treaty w/ the central powers... just a thought, as this is what happened in reality...

But wasn't that because of the Russian Revolution? If my memory is right, than it were the Bolsheviks who signed the Peace Treaty (or Cease-Fire) with Germany. Maybe one could add Kerenskyites (or moderate revolutionaries) and Bolsheviks as insurgent, non-playable civs.

Honestly, Russia and Great Britain didn't like each other much anyways. They would have pursued different foreign policies in regards to the Austria-Hungary problem. It was only Germany that presented the common enemy. In other words, if Germany had done the same thing as Italy (IE: Refused to follow through with their treaty obligations to Austria-Hungary) Russia would have gone to war anyways, but Great Britain and France would not. The Entente was far from a unified alliance. It had its two constituent parties. I would say make Russia and Serbia a permanent alliance, and make Great Britain, Belgium, and France a permanent alliance. Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire can stay a permanent alliance I suppose (although, if I had been the German Emperor, I wouldn't have been so "close" to a dying empire like the Ottoman Empire) and I probably would've tried to re-befriend the Tsar of Russia. As I recall, Russia, Germany, and Austria had been in an alliance (Alliance of the Three Emperors) for a while.

Playing as Germany, I managed to knock out France, am steadily advancing against Russia, handed Serbia to Austria, am propping them up, and generally doing well. The question I have is that in November, 1917, the Balkans suddenly divided up along historical lines (Greece, Romania v. Bulgaria, etc.) and the USA entered. Is there some python thing I don't see? because I can't find any place that says to declare war on whoever in Year X. Also, I got a pop-up about US forces landing, yet I don't see them anywhere. Is this because Germany controls all of France?

What someone mentioned earlier, would it be possible to achieve peace at some point in the scenario or will there always be war? Would it be possible to change that? If I wanted to change it myself how would I go about doing this?

Trip said:
Hmmm, that is odd. My best suggestion would be to uninstall Civ 4, delete everything related to it (the install folder and the stuff in My Documents\My Games\) and then reinstall from the CD, patch to 1.61 and then extract the mods where they belong. If that doesn't work then we'll have to try something else.

Hello, The WWI scenario is great. I did a quick play through to see what was what and now I'd like to play with a couple of friends. HOWEVER, even though I can play single player, when I hit multiplayer and scenario, it doesn't show up. Is there something else needed? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
Jason
:ninja:

Top Bottom