Schizophrenic Cities

agoodfella

Prince
...some cities just end up producing random units upon completing a build even though I have not edited the cities orders to build anything.

is this just me or am i doing something wrong?

has anyone else experienced this? what is the solution?

This happens to me sometimes, too. I haven't set any city production to automate in any way, or queued things up at all, but they still take it upon themselves to produce a spearman or something superfluous.

My usual solution? WHen I get the "Work has completed on a <blah> in Annoyingville, and construction has begun on <Useless Spearman>" popup, I just zoom into the city and change it manually. Usually the "forced automation" doesn't continue more than a couple of production rounds.

FWIW, I never use automation in my cities, and I have never had this problem, pre- or post-patch. Are you positive that you have no automation options enabled?

In civ IV, you cannot switch hammers from one production to the next. If a city is building something and you tell it to build something else, the earlier production is stacked back, in a last in first out order, with all the hammers used for it stored. I think this is causing your problem.

or popup comes up and says something like "sir x city is a great center of research, advising building a library" and u clicked build it when available

You can end up with something in the build queue which you don't actually want, and if there are a couple of hammers towards it from overflow it will persist when you change the production - go into the city and remove it from the queue.

agoodfella said:
...some cities just end up producing random units upon completing a build even though I have not edited the cities orders to build anything.

is this just me or am i doing something wrong?

has anyone else experienced this? what is the solution?

You might have something in your build queue (lower left corner in the city screen) or you might have acidentally turned on prodution automation (you can disable it in the small white box in the bottom of the city screen)

If the queue is empty, the city will automatically start on something that has stored production. That is, if you put even a single hammer towards a spearman and then switch to a temple, it'll switch back to the spearman when you're done even if you remove it from the queue. Note that this doesn't actually dedicate any overflow; you can still change the production the turn after. Forests, unfortunately, are another story entirely...

Top Bottom