Scholastism

nichopoleve

Warlord
Noticed a bug when you choose the scholastisicm policy in the patronage tree.

It calculates the new science values as it is suppose to do and it gets displayed in the city screen for all the cities.

However it does not calculate the new values in total towards the new tech research.

Before I chose the policy I had 22 turns to go on machinery research. 256 science/turn

After I should have: 16 turns to go with 316 science/turn.

This does not work.

First off, if you ever want to check/create the logs for errors this is the (handy) thread to which I was once referred:

Solving Bugs

Second, unless just a typo, 2.5.2 is the current version of CivUP, but that doesn't have a bearing on the issue here.

Anyway, I've also had this problem in the past, so I decided to look at it again (hadn't gone for Patronage for a while) and slightly fast tracked a game I had going with IGE:

- I have three cities (one is a puppet) and three allied city states and one friend (Screenshot #1).

- Before selecting Scholasticism I was generating precisely 60:c5science: per turn: 10:c5science: for free, 50.01:c5science: from cities (Screenshot #2). (Note I'm in a Golden Age, but that won't matter for this).

- After entering the Medieval Era and selecting Patronage plus Scholasticism, my cities indeed reflect the change in their individual screens, e.g. Athens now produces 40.8:c5science: per turn of which 4.9:c5science: is coming from City-States (Screenshot #3). Sparta also gets 4.9:c5science: from Scholasticism, while Samoa, my puppet, gets 1.2:c5science:. A total boost of 11:c5science:.

- [The algorithm for Athens and Sparta is "1 (city) / 2.3 (empire)=44% of 11:c5science:", while for Samoa it's "0.3 (city) / 2.3 (empire)=11% of 11:c5science:", where 11 = 3 for CS allies (x3), and 2 for CS friends (x1). This is good and what we want since the above individual city science bonuses match the promised CS bonuses].

- All told then, Athens = +40.8:c5science: , Sparta = +21.6:c5science: , and Samoa = +4.6:c5science: , for a new, Scholastic enhanced, total of 67:c5science: from cities. Higher than the base of 11, but there are of course multipliers included and to this new total of 67:c5science: we should be able to add the 10:c5science: we get for free.​

OK, kind of boring and obvious, but the upshot is that this bonus, as stated in the OP, does not get added to the science per turn total and stays 'stuck' in the cities. After choosing Scholastcism my :c5science:per turn remained at 60 total, with only 50 from cities (Screenshot #4; there you can see the breakdown of the nationwide yield of 60:c5science: along with Athens' increased yield, through Scholasticism, of 40.8:c5science:).

I also ran it for a few turns to see if it was secretly being added, but it wasn't. Choosing Trade Pact (formerly Educated Elite), on the other hand, is fine since you want production bonuses to stay localised to a city.

As far as code goes and my limited knowledge of it, what changed for Scholasticism (a change made in version GEM1.13.3 - "Scholasticism: 2 per citystate friend, and 3 per ally (changed to new system because vanilla version is not modifiable)"- where it also didn't work) was the insertion of this line:

Code:
MinorScienceAllies="0"

I do not mean to suggest this was the only change, I'm sure it wasn't and is just the only I have found, but the main reason I mention it is that I've experimented with it a bit. Changing the "0" to "false" does nothing, while removing the line altogether restores the old bonuses. So, a cheap and nasty workaround while this is awaiting repair would be to remove this line (you can find it in GEM>Policies>Trees>Patronage); that way you can at least get some sort of science boost when selecting Scholasticism.

[Lua log attached; GEM1.13.4/CivUp2.5.2]

-

Attachments

• Scholasticism1.jpg
    Scholasticism1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Scholasticism2.jpg
    Scholasticism2.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Scholasticism3.jpg
    Scholasticism3.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Scholasticism4.jpg
    Scholasticism4.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 63
  • LuaScholastcism.txt
    28.4 KB · Views: 77
Thank you for checking into this.
I download these mods from steam.
Where do I find the file then?

I found it :)
C:\Users\"YOUR COMPUTER NAME"\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\G&K Enhanced Mod (v1.13.4) (v 1)\GEM\Policies\Trees

Top Bottom