Sci-Fi Books

Of course she knows what she's writing, I think that she just doesn't want to be marketed under the "sci-fi" label, because in her mind that would mean that her works would be less respected and would end up raking in less $$$.

It's a very silly point by her, she might as well admit what she's really trying to do. It makes her and her fanboys (and girls) look like idiots, to be honest.
I guess it hasn't occurred to her that she'd make even more money by allowing these books to be marketed to science fiction readers in addition to those who read her books because they're Margaret Atwood books. There are quite a few who are into dystopian fiction.

I wonder what she'd have made of the average Con-Version SF convention in Calgary. The main Guest of Honor was always an author. No actor was ever a guest at that convention, or at Noncon. The closest to "Hollywood celebrity" Con-Version ever got was J. Michael Straczynski (creator of the Babylon 5 TV series), and they raised extra money from donations to cover his expenses. Otherwise, the guests were authors, artists, editors, local (ie. Albertan) university professors of English and various science disciplines, etc. I remember one SF author saying in his GoH speech how impressed he was that the major focus of our conventions was on writing, editing, publishing, and art. He said that this was something most SF conventions didn't do anymore. The con activities included writing seminars, short story competitions, sessions where people could bring samples of their writing and have it critiqued, and so on.

I liked the Foundation series, but as a whole I don't think it really compares to all the other sci-fi classics. The story is just kinda.. well, I don't know. I didn't find it very gripping, in terms of the original 4-5 novels anyway. It didn't seem like a novel concept or anything like that.

I mean, I read all of the original Foundation novels and I liked them, but I always disagree when they show up on "top 100 sci-fi novels" lists or whatever. I think there are a lot of sci-fi novels out there that are a lot better. IMO Foundation only ends up on the list because it was one of the first big series Asimov came up with.

Mind you I quite enjoyed Prelude to Foundation. That was the prequel written by Asimov shortly before he passed away, IIRC.
When you say "novel concept" do you mean a new concept? Or do you mean a literal novel?

The first few Foundation books were never originally written as novels. They were published individually in various SF pulp magazines, and only later were they gathered up and printed in novel form. So if there are disconnects between sections, that's because the stories or sections weren't originally written to mesh together as a real novel.

Asimov was very much interested in making every last penny he could out of his stories, though, and had a talent for coming up with ways to get them into anthologies. He also had a talent for "writing to order" for other peoples' anthologies. Just about any editor could phone him up (no email in those days) or write him a letter asking for a story on a specific theme conforming to a specific length, and he could do it. Quickly.

Is that the one where
Spoiler :
It turned out that other people from the future assassinated Scipo Africanus at Cannae, allowing Carthage to defeat Rome
?
Yes. :)

Here are some books I've enjoyed that I haven't seen listed here yet. As I think of others I'll add to the list:

Armor: John Steakley (quintessential combat sci-fi)
The Dosadi Experiment: Frank Herbert (Second best work by Herbert IMO)
Gateway: Fredrick Pohl (Buy yer ticket on a million year old alien spaceship and takes yer chances!)
The Coming of the Quantum Cats: Fredrick Pohl (One parallel universe America invades another)
Convergent Series: Larry Niven (some dam fine short stories in this one!)
Neutron Star: Larry Niven (And another collection of great short stories!)
A World out of Time: Larry Niven (A corpsicle returns to Earth millions of years in the future)
The Mote in God’s Eye: Niven and Jerry Pournelle (good combat adventure and engaging story-telling)
A Spaceship for the King: Jerry Pournelle (combat adventure)
Startide Rising: David Brin (well written space opera – Brin jammed so much into this one novel, and yet it flows and engages so well!)
The Man who used the Universe: Alan Dean Foster (dysfunctional person manipulates the rest of the universe for its own good)
Dorsai!: Gordon Dickson (great combat sc-fi)
Tactics of Mistake: Gordon Dickson (great combat sc-fi)
Seeker: Jack McDevitt (great mystery adventure as the heroine searches for a long lost human colony)

D

Larry Niven
Gordon Dickson
I'll second these authors. My own favorite Larry Niven novel is A Gift From Earth, which deals with the ethics of compulsory organ donation and a judicial system where capital punishment is the penalty for just about everything... and the dead peoples' bodies are completely harvested for parts. Naturally, it's the aristocracy that reaps the benefits of this.

The Dorsai books are fantastic. I'm not a fan of military SF in general, but I love this series because of the characters and how Dickson set up his in-universe background. Fandom really took to this series as well, as some conventions' security teams were set up as Dorsai (called the Dorsai Irregulars), and there is a fair amount of Dorsai-inspired music (Gordon Dickson himself was an enthusiastic filker).

Really?
I wasn't as big on Count Zero as Neuromancer. The plot felt less coherent and I didn't like some of the semi-mystical ways Gibson handled the loa.
As far as Mona Lisa Overdrive goes, I'm ashamed to say I just couldn't get into it.:blush:
Yeah, Gibson wore off for me quick, too. Neuromancer and Count Zero were outstanding - I'm still waiting for the movie or tv miniseries - but I've read a couple of his recent books and I can't recommend them. I can't even really remember them.

I'll have to check that one out. Is it marketed as a Star Trek parody?
Good question, I dunno. I mean, it so clearly is a Star Trek parody, anyone who's into Star Trek will get it and anyone who isn't won't care anyway. It's better if they never come right out and admit it, like Christopher Guest's movies.

The Martian - Andy Weir
Survival story...a man is stranded on Mars in the near-future and has to...well, survive.
This one's been on my "to read" list for a while now. It's gotten a lot of good reviews.

Some others, older but still worthwhile if you're not already familiar with them:

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (1992) starts off with the 100-person voyage to establish a permanent colony on Mars. It then launches ahead, into the politics of a fully-colonized Mars. I'm no physicist or engineer, but it feels like the product of heavy research; if it's very unrealistic, I might prefer not to know. :p I can't say the second half was bad, I liked it fine, but I enjoyed the first part much more and I wished that had been the focus of the whole story.

The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman (1974) is part of the core curriculum for any fan of military fiction, not just of military sci-fi. A soldier leaves Earth to fight and finds himself caught by the time dilation effect of Einstein's Theory of Relativity: He experiences only a few years in space, but returns to Earth decades into his future, utterly cut off from his family and society. As above, I can't vouch for the accuracy of its science, but I bought into it.

Lilith's Brood, by Octavia Butler (1987) is the collected "Xenogenesis" trilogy in one volume. A human woman helps a shipful of aliens repopulate Earth centuries after a disaster that nearly wiped out mankind. I really liked the first book, which I think was titled Dawn when it was published by itself, but the 2nd and 3rd gradually lost my attention. Maybe trying to read all three at once like this was just too much, I dunno.

For a library, I'd make sure to have science fiction by writers from different parts of the world.

The Revelation Space triology - Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap - Alistair Reynolds
I'd chuck in Chasm City as a first book in that series. It's a bit different (1st person perspective) but takes place in the same universe and some of the characters make a guest appearance in the trilogy.

Some of these have already been mentioned, and rightfully so:

Dune: The quintessential sci-fi classic. This is one of the finest books ever written, whatever the genre. The later books by his son and Kevin J. Anderson are absolute tripe. Steer very clear of them.

Foundation Trilogy: The next three books aren't great. The first three are essential reading, even if they are better suited to teen fiction.

I, Robot: A very good collection of short stories by Asimov, complete with framing device. A good read.

Gateway: This is a good book in its own right, and the twist ending is absolutely gut-wrenching. The next two books in the saga are also good, but I wouldn't bother with the later books unless you really want the complete set. The sixth and final book especially is not good, in my opinion.

A Fire Upon the Deep: A classic by Vernor Vinge. It is very complex, maybe even moreso than Dune, so pay attention to it. The prequel, A Deepness in the Sky, is also fantastic. I didn't like the sequel.

Ender's Game: A great book by a person who later descended into hackery. The first sequel is okay, the rest garbage. Nothing else Card wrote is worth your time, except maybe The Worthing Saga. Even that's debatable.

For established universes, I would suggest The Joy Machine for Star Trek, and anything by Timothy Zahn for Star Wars, especially the original Thrawn trilogy.

I'm sure there are many I will kick myself for not thinking of later.

For original Star Trek novels, I'd have to say that my top recommendations would be Spock's World, by Diane Duane and Federation, by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Spock's World is like two books in one - the main story is that a group of Vulcans decides that it would be logical for Vulcan to secede from the Federation, and Spock is among those asked to speak on the proposal. The "B" story is a series of short stories detailing life on Vulcan from prehistory to the present (23rd-century present).

Federation is what I consider to be the real story of Zephram Cochrane, not that nonsense in the First Contact movie. Both Kirk and Picard are in this story as well, and the ending is the best I've ever seen in any Star Trek novel. This is a book that deserved to be a movie.

It didn't take much reading to realise you would have more knowledge of quality Star Trek material than me. I was also quite fond of Yesterday's Son and [/i]Sarek[/i], but don't really remember them well enough to recommend them, unlike The Joy Machine. I think the latter was originally meant to be an episode if TOS got a fourth season.

Yesterday's Son was good. Did you read the sequel?

The Mote in God’s Eye: Niven and Jerry Pournelle (good combat adventure and engaging story-telling)

D

I think you undersold this. It does have those qualities, but it is also a well reasoned analysis of the consequences of unchecked population growth. Any researcher pushing for "the longevity vaccine" should be required to read it.

I think you undersold this. It does have those qualities, but it is also a well reasoned analysis of the consequences of unchecked population growth. Any researcher pushing for "the longevity vaccine" should be required to read it.

It does have those qualities, yes, however Dosadi Experiment takes the consequences of population growth, resultant pressures, and its consequences over generations to the next level. FYI in case you are looking for another book that (bluntly) discusses this topic.

Other books I highly recommend which I haven't seen listed:

War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells. Quintessential reading for any avid sci-fi fan
Battlespace: Ian Douglas. Book 2 of the middle trilogy, however it is a good standalone read. Revenge is a dish best served millions of years later!

D

Philip K. Dick (not sure which book to recommend but probably some of his short stories)
Aldous Huxley (Brave new world)
George Orwell (1984)
Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy)
Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trilogy)
Neal Stephenson (Anathema)
Less known in the US/UK are the Strugatzki brothers .

Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Larry Niven, William Gibson, Stanislav Lem ans Iain M. Banks have already been mentioned.
For Banks I would recommend anything except Excession (at least if you haven't read any of his other culture books)
I would also recommend Isaac Asimov's robot stories instead of/in addition to the Foundation books as his robotic laws were revolutionary.

The Asimov novel I'd recommend is The Gods Themselves. While I like his fiction, I will
steal what Arthur C. Clarke said about his nonfiction : "When Isaac flags, he is merely brilliant".

The Asimov novel I'd recommend is The Gods Themselves. While I like his fiction, I will steal what Arthur C. Clarke said about his nonfiction : "When Isaac flags, he is merely brilliant".
I used to read Asimov's essay collections for bedtime reading and at school. I still remember in our free reading period how some of the kids couldn't understand why I'd read a science book. "What assignment is that for?"

"No assignment," I told them. "I'm just reading it because I like Asimov's essays."

"You mean for fun?" :eek:

Yep, such was life in Grade 9, in a school where reading nonfiction books for fun was considered weird. :shake: Mind you, I was considered weird in that school anyway for several more reasons than that. Girls didn't read "boys' books" (ie. adventure stories). And apparently nobody read science fiction, in spite of that library having an excellent selection of SF. That's where I got into Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, and Andre Norton, as well as others not so well-known today, such as Milton Lesser, Lester del Rey, and Alan E. Nourse.

I haven't been in this sub-forum much lately, I didn't see this post until now.

When you say "novel concept" do you mean a new concept? Or do you mean a literal novel?

I meant a unique concept. Should have realized that using the word "novel" there might have been easily viewed as being ambiguous. :p

The first few Foundation books were never originally written as novels. They were published individually in various SF pulp magazines, and only later were they gathered up and printed in novel form. So if there are disconnects between sections, that's because the stories or sections weren't originally written to mesh together as a real novel.

Good point, but other books have been put together in a similar fashion, and the final product was always.. assembled better.

Then again the story sort of calls for disconnected stories... So I can't really fault Asimov for doing it the way he did it - but I guess in the end I just don't like the concept enough.

And I mean.. I do like the concept, but.. not the execution, I guess.. although I couldn't really point at another way of making that series happen without having to resort to similar pitfalls, other than having some sort of a robot character who survives throughout the story. But I don't know if that would have worked either.

Good point, but other books have been put together in a similar fashion, and the final product was always.. assembled better.

Then again the story sort of calls for disconnected stories... So I can't really fault Asimov for doing it the way he did it - but I guess in the end I just don't like the concept enough.

And I mean.. I do like the concept, but.. not the execution, I guess.. although I couldn't really point at another way of making that series happen without having to resort to similar pitfalls, other than having some sort of a robot character who survives throughout the story. But I don't know if that would have worked either.
It's hard to adequately answer this, since I have never read the Foundation series. I started to back in college, but chose the absolute worst circumstances. It was the two-week period in December known as "Final Exams" and I'd had an exam in the morning. A rather tough one, with an ambiguous question among the essay choices (turns out the question was put there as a joke, but some of the students didn't realize it was a joke and wrote an essay to answer the question). So I went home and decided to unwind with a science fiction book from my personal library. I chose Foundation, since it had been sitting there for a couple of years, unread. Asimov would be perfect, right?

Wrong. It's a very bad idea to try to get into Foundation right after a grueling 3-hour sociology final. After a couple of pages, I put the book back on the shelf, and to this day I still haven't read it. That was over 30 years ago.

I think I still have the book, and maybe enough time has passed to give it another try. :mischief:

Philip K. Dick (not sure which book to recommend but probably some of his short stories)
Aldous Huxley (Brave new world)
George Orwell (1984)
Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy)
Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trilogy)
Neal Stephenson (Anathema)
Less known in the US/UK are the Strugatzki brothers .

Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Larry Niven, William Gibson, Stanislav Lem ans Iain M. Banks have already been mentioned.
For Banks I would recommend anything except Excession (at least if you haven't read any of his other culture books)
I would also recommend Isaac Asimov's robot stories instead of/in addition to the Foundation books as his robotic laws were revolutionary.
I've said this before (maybe even here) but while I liked the Mars Trilogy, it got really tedious and there were long stretches (tens of pages) where it just seemed like Robinson had smoked a ton of weed and just rambled. Those sections seemed to get worse in Blue and Green Mars and nearly killed it for me.

I've only ever read one Star Trek novel and it was about the USS Daedalus and was pretty much non-canon.

Are any of the other ST books any good?

Are any of the other ST books any good?
Anything by Diane Duane is excellent. I like her Rihannsu version of the Romulans a lot better than the nonsense TNG came up with. Make sure you don't confuse her with Diane Carey's books, though, which are uniformly and without exception, utter crap.

Greg Cox writes good Star Trek novels. My favorites are his "Khan Noonien Singh" trilogy (that's not its official name, but serves as an adequate identifier). These books take Khan from childhood to his death in The Wrath of Khan, and beyond in the third book as Kirk goes back to Ceti Alpha. We find out how Marla died, and the books also incorporate various elements from several TOS, TNG, and Voyager episodes.

The 40th anniversary of Star Trek was celebrated with the Crucible trilogy of novels by David R. George III - a look at how the events of the Guardian of Forever had affected Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. The McCoy novel is the best in my opinion, since it's partially alt-universe: What kind of life would McCoy have had if Kirk and Spock had not found him and Edith Keeler had lived?

A.C. Crispin wrote some good stuff, too - a duology of novels about Spock's son with Zarabeth (the woman he met in the ice age in "All Our Yesterdays"). The author reasoned that he could have made Zarabeth pregnant, so she wrote Yesterday's Son and a sequel. She also wrote a novel about Sarek.

You'll notice that these are TOS novels I'm recommending. That's because there are very few of the novels from the other series that I'd consider good enough to recommend beyond "it was entertaining." And in fact, I'm really far behind on those anyway - there was a long period of time when I was struggling for the basics, and books just weren't something I could buy. So I'm either catching up or there are just some that I decided not to bother about.

But I will recommend Peter David's Star Trek novels, no matter which series they're based on. I've read most of his Q books, and they range from hilarious to thought-provoking. There's the added bonus in that he's one of the ST authors I've actually met (others being Sonni Cooper, Greg Bear, Alan Dean Foster, V.E. Mitchell - actually I knew her husband first, since he's an art and book appraiser who specializes in science fiction/fantasy - and David Gerrold).

While they're not novels, per se, I will also recommend Alan Dean Foster's Log series. These are adaptations of the Animated Series and he was able to add a lot of original material to them to the point of expanding several to novel-length stories.

Of course your preferences may not be mine. But these are the ones I consider the best of the ones I've read. There are still several dozen I own that I haven't gotten around to reading yet, and lots more that I don't own.

Some of the Star Trek pro authors are members at TrekBBS, so if you want to get in touch with them and ask questions, there's a TrekLit forum there.

Yesterday's Son was good. Did you read the sequel?
I actually read the sequel first, then tracked down and read a copy of the first book. I've since read them both several times. I don't recall the sequel's name though. Also good.

Top Bottom