ScoutX, any interest?

scoutsout

Minstrel Boy
After exchanging some PMs with some newer players who are looking to get into SGs, as well as some ideas with some stronger players I respect... I've got some rough ideas for "Scout1". Although I have benefitted tremendously from GK2, this will not be a "Training Day Game". There are two excellent Training games, well worth surfing for those who are working on thier game (this includes me).

First: a 50/50 mix of stronger players and Regent/Monarch level players who are working on their game... three of each. Any more than that, and we spin off another game (like Bugs1 and Bugs1 PTW, or Gram1 and Gram1.1....)

Second: One very strong player suggested a variant game.. I'm undecided on this....perhaps I should make everbody research Advanced Flight, in keeping with a them I have in mind... I might leave this open. If somebody like Akots were to check in and say something like "I'd like to take a team and pursue an early conquest win"... then I would welcome that. (For those who need to work on their warmongering, Akots is "pretty darn good"...and that's an understatement...)

Third: Another solid player suggested playing C3C, and picking from Ision's "bottom tier".

Hmm... let's see... Ision's 'bottom tier'... a variant unto itself? That would mean: No expansionist civs... (Ision likes that trait...) No civs with a "builder discount". (Scientific or Religious) We can leave that discussion for the moment. My thoughts:

Game Level: Emperor. I hope this would keep it interesting enough for the stronger players... without letting the new guys get kicked in the teeth they way I did in the first version of Gram2.0... :crazyeye:

What I want to know from "the community":

Are there some Regent or Monarch level players who are interested in this?

Are there some "Emperor Plus" level players who would like to play alongside some Regent level players, and share some pointers along the way?

Sidenotes: I PM'd a "pretty crafty individual" to see if he'll generate an interesting map. We'll see about that....

So... at this point I am going to "run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes."

Edits:

Variant: No Research

Roster A
TedJackson
Bede
Tinkez
Smellincoffee
mtgfreak
Tallanas

Roster B
Karasu
DJMGator13
AlanH
Nikof
Mistfit
Grunthex

Roster C
scoutsout
romeothemonk
SesnOfWthr
Manwaring
JavierLQ
bed_head7
Slicknick1136

Rosters are closed, but if we continue to get de-lurks we could spin off another game...

Alternates
(Possible Roster D if enough De-lurk)
Merum
Detlef Richter
Mauer

i am interested
i am a monarch player that has tried, and failed on emperor
As for the civs that you are talking about, France would be my choice
yes i need to work on my warmongering, so that would be nice

@mtgfreak: If there is to be a game, you're in it! :thumbsup:

(I'm "pretty sure" there will be a game here....)

Stick me down for some carnage Scout :D

Not bothered about Civ version or settings.

Ted

TedJackson said:
Stick me down for some carnage Scout :D

Not bothered about Civ version or settings.

Ted

Wow!!! Talk about de-lurks! The one who introduced me to SGs, GK2 and opened up whole new worlds for me! I mean ... here I am... trying to put a little something back in, and ... wow.

I am truly ... honored...no... flabbergasted. Yeah, that's it!

Thanks for chiming in Ted!

Do you honestly have no specific interest, or do you want a slugfest?

Hi Scout,

still building Cathedrals in every city? :D :D :D

I'd rather let the improvers choose the basic settings for the game. I see we already have one candidate for some war-mongering so things are shaping up nicely on that front :)

Given we'll be playing at Emperor (and a reasonable map & starting position) then we should have ample opportunity to explore most aspects of the game. Alternatively we could try a variant which sidelined one of the major components (e.g. Always War has very little trading required or No Research where trading skills are critical).

Any way up we should be in for some fun!

Ted

I've completed one game at Monarch (Domination, won mostly by knights) but am looking to become comfortable in it and strengthen my game enough to consider Emperor solo. Currently, I am in two live SGs (SGOTM02- Team DGT; RaceWars 1; with another being discussed (DGT3)) I would be interested in this, provided I find out how to run both 1.15 and 1.22, since one of my live games is at 1.15. :)

To be honest, I'm rather tired of military wins, but still interested. I'd personally like to see what the Ottomans are like.

Scoutsout: Like Twelve Angry Men? ;)

TedJackson said:
.....we could try a variant which sidelined one of the major components (e.g. Always War has very little trading required or No Research where trading skills are critical).

Any way up we should be in for some fun!
Ted

Sign me up for some fun.

The No Research variant is attractive.

:salute: Scout

If you're not sick of me from SGoTM2, and you need another Monarch player, then let me know - both the no research variant and the warmongering versions would be good, as my natural game is "scientist/builder" but with cathedrals in only half my cities ;)

I am a regent level player and I'd be interested for sure.
I need to work on my warmongering as well as other skills.

I've beaten Emperor on C3C and played together with Ted on SGOTM2 which we won. I would like to join if you decide to play the NoResearch variant (need to tune my brokering skills :rolleyes: ). Warmongering added to this should make it fun ;)

-Tinkez

I am interested in playing this one as well. I usually play emporer, and whup it. The variant I use is everything random, play the first save. I have started out in/near massive jungles and still won, and I think that helps so much more than pick out of 5 saves.
My biggest beef with the SG community is that people only play great starting locations, and versus certain opponents, and the real challenge of the game is to take what is given you. My favorite wins come from slogging through the Zulu's early, the Vikings in the MA, and the Germans and the Greeks in the IA.
That being said I am definetly interested, but am a higher level player. I would argue for an all random start and see what develops.

Well, I'm glad to see the interest!

I'll go ahead and tell you guys the theme that Bede and I have been tinkering with. If "Monarch to Emperor" is "The Great Leap", then we thought we'd set up a "Jump School" for going from Regent to Emperor... does that sound too cheesy to you guys? (Apologies to Ision...) Tribes, landmasses, variants, etc. are all open to discussion.

Update: Mad-Bax has agreed to create a fun map for us. (Thanks MB!)

Since it looks like we're getting some interest here, I'm just going to list those who seem interested, we'll sort out 'teams' later. It looks like we're going to get enough to spin off an additional game.

Jumpmasters:
TedJackson
Smellincoffee
Bede
Tinkez
romeothemonk
..and your sometimes-humble host, scoutsout

Jumpers:
mtgfreak
Tallanas
Manwaring
Slicknick1136 <-expressed an interest in a PM
bed_head7 <-expressed an interest through slicknick

It looks like we've got room for another Regent/Monarch level player, or 4 more Regent/Monarch level players and 3 more "Emperor Plus"... :crazyeye:

Everybody: Please post whether you can play Vanilla CivIII, PTW, or C3C (and if C3C, which version). Or (if you're like me) you can play "any of the above".

Edit: Whaddya think about my itty-bitty paratrooper badges? :D

I use C3C 1.22. and have 1.15 but prefer 1.22. If needed I can step down, but I think the most fun is showing players how not to give up, as opposed to showing them how to rig the game to win.

I can use any of the following:
[civ3] 1.29
[ptw] 1.27
[c3c] 1.15
[c3c] 1.22

Ted

I can play Civ3 1.29, PTW 1.27, and C3C 1.15- although if I can find a reference thread of sorts, I can probably play both 1.15 and 1.22..

Hi scoutsout,

I'm very interested in your succession game. I'm playing my first Emperor game now, which looks like a win down the road since I just took over half my starting continent from the Greeks. (Although I got distracted by GOTM 32.)

However, I'm going to be out of town July 12-28, sans computer. Would it be okay to sign up and have to skip a few turns, or would that be obnoxious & I should wait for a future SG? :(

I like the no research idea, my tech trading could certainly use some honing. And I only have Vanilla Civ3.

Thanks!
nikof

As some of you have expressed an interest in the "No Research" variant I thought I'd just post a link to mb2 - a space oddity a "No Research Space Race. Only at Monarch, but still fun :)

Ted

Top Bottom