Screenshots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 11 of Rise to Ruins

here's the main village, with a fully upgraded castle

and here's the defenses, which so far are impregnable by miles :)

Last edited:
But then, like Himeji Castle, you never actually get attacked. :p

Once the corruption claims all the empty land outside of my village borders, the threat level will supposedly increase very harshly.

they will only attack the walls if there isn't another way in. Apparently this rule doesn't check for pathfinding distance, only a binary yes/no.

Rise to Ruins? Are you expected to lose each game?

I've been playing Banished with the Colonial Charter mod and the Adam & Eve starting condition (You start with a husband & wife and some supplies and that's it)

I now have a town of 1200 that is currently able to sustain all its needs without having to import anything. This is the main settlement cluster:

If you look at the mini-map you can see the large food making area just to the left. There are lots of farms, pastures, orchards, fields, mills, bakeries, meat processing places, etc. Along with some hunters & gatherers in the forests I am currently producing 170k units of food while my city only needs 140k every year. The food is distributed around in a network of storage barns and markets. In the following picture you can see some of the pastures on the right and the wheat fields, mills, and bakeries across the river on the left

My city is not sustainable long term. The problem is that I have not been building many new homes. Building new homes drives population growth, which I am trying to avoid. However, the problem with not building homes is that eventually they all fill up, and new families are unable to find places to live until everybody else in another house dies. This reportedly leads to mass stravation events, as people end up being born in large groups all at the same time. The usual solution to this is to build a couple homes every winter, so you have a steady stream of people dying at different times. But the size of the map is limited, and so you can only make so much food and chop down so much firewood

Check out the population graph for the history of my town

You can see where I sort of stopped building new homes every winter. The population growth was just too crazy and I had to cut that out. The graph is starting to plateau, but as you can see the number of students and children is not increasing at the same rate as the number of adults at all.

This is not a sign of sustainable growth at all, and I will have problems when a whole crapload of old people start dying on me and I don't have teenagers there to replace all of them. I am not really sure what's going to happen actually, but I don't like the look of that graph.

It is possible to build a chain of trading posts along the main river, literally one beside the other. Using this method you can "summon" a trader at a regular basis and set up an autotrade to buy firewood from him, selling some sort of processed good that your town is able to produce. This way you don't have to worry about preserving the forests and you can use a lot more of the map for food making purposes. The problem is that it seems gimmicky, but I will probably have to build a bunch of trading posts anyway.

I am considering letting my town run overnight to see what happens to it...

Do you get new immigrants each year or is population growth based entirely on breeding?

Do you get new immigrants each year or is population growth based entirely on breeding?

In my game it's 100% by breeding. So you start with 1 couple in their 20s, and they will usually eventually have 2-3 kids. That first part of the game is the toughest, because the more kids you have the more food and other resources you will need to gather. The kids only become workers and are able to help once they become adults. So basically one adult will spend most time dealing with food and the other will gather other resources and build a house. Then once the kids are old enough to start moving out you build another house. But there's also other buildings you need to have built before the 2nd house ever gets built, buildings to make firewood and tools that you need to survive on top of the food. Then you gotta worry about building a hospital just in case there's an outbreak, and you need a steady supply of stone and timber. So the early game is all about being smart about the timing of when you do things and building the right buildings at the right time. And then if there's an accident and a stone crushes one of your peop

In the stock game once you build up your town big enough and are able to build a courthouse, there will be nomads arriving at your town occasionally. You then have the option of letting them in or not. I forget what happens when you tell them to go away, I usually let them in. I think there might be a chance of them getting upset but I'm not sure.

I don't like the nomads, because you'll get like 20 people all at once and you have to build a bunch of new houses. It usually ends up depleting some of my resources.

I built the courthouse in this game already, and there's no nomads at all, which I don't mind at all.. I guess there's no nomads when you're playing the "Adam & Eve" start (but there could be no nomads for another reason I suppose)

If you're now doing some math in your head trying to figure out how to get to 1200 people from 2 people.. the people in this game age fast. So after 1 year they will be like 4-7 years old or something like that. It's for game balance purposes and you don't really notice.

Last edited:
Well this is bizarre, is anyone else seeing this? @Moff Jerjerrod's new post ITT is a duplicate post #7750 and when I loaded the thread, appears amidst the rest of May 25's posts instead of at the bottom with the other new ones.

Spoiler :

edit: I made this post, a duplicate 7751, and @warpus' most recent post also got recycled back to 7749. The most advanced post ITT is 7756, while the true post number (of mine) should be 7759.

So will this town end up as a ghost town when all the boomers die off and there's barely anyone to replace them?

Well this is bizarre, is anyone else seeing this? @Moff Jerjerrod's new post ITT is a duplicate post #7750 and when I loaded the thread, appears amidst the rest of May 25's posts instead of at the bottom with the other new ones.

Spoiler :

edit: I made this post, a duplicate 7751, and @warpus' most recent post also got recycled back to 7749. The most advanced post ITT is 7756, while the true post number (of mine) should be 7759.

I'm definitely seeing that duplicate post of mine as well. It's weird because if I try clicking on view latest post in thread from the root directory of All Other Games forum I get sent to the thread immediately after my duplicate post.

So will this town end up as a ghost town when all the boomers die off and there's barely anyone to replace them?

I think basically what will happen is that a lot of my citizens in the "Laborer" category will start dying off and not being replaced fast enough with new students converting to laborers (this happens automatically). The way the game works, if somebody dies then they will be automatically replaced with a laborer. So if a baker dies, you don't have to manually replace him, a new laborer just takes over that job.

Laborers are also responsible for moving resources around the map though, and all these different jobs my citizens have are a part of a bit of a machine where resources get processed to other resources, then taken elsewhere, mixed with something else, which is how my city produces both basic necessities and luxuries for my citizens (and for trade)

If some parts of that machine break down due to not enough laborers moving stuff around, then I could be for example producing enough food with my farmers, but the food might not be getting to all my citizens fast enough. Then those citizens start having to walk far to find food, which disrupts let's say the production of iron, which leads to a stop in the production of tools, which leads to me not being able to chop wood. It's a cascading effect that you need to keep an eye on at all times, with respect to your basic necessities anyway.

Right now my general laborer pool is still growing. I have 200+ laborers. I think to keep the machine well oiled I need at least 80-100. As my city expands though I need more laborers to move everything around. My student population isn't increasing that fast, so pretty soon I think my laborer pool will start decreasing.

So at least in theory I will start to have problems when I have about 100 laborers and that number continues dropping further. Eventually I think people will start starving and vital industries will be hit, leading to a breakdown in the machine and the creation and delivery of vital resources. In theory I should be able to stop the madness before everyone dies, and rebuild, but I'm not exactly sure how those dynamics would play out as i've never gone through that in the game. This is by far the largest city I have ever built

I'm definitely seeing that duplicate post of mine as well. It's weird because if I try clicking on view latest post in thread from the root directory of All Other Games forum I get sent to the thread immediately after my duplicate post.

It happened again with this post!

Day 29 in Rise to Ruins

village population is approximately 150 and some will probably starve next winter

also, I've nearly exhausted the rock supply near the village, might have to start importing rock from my new settlement. Corruption controls 95% of the land outside my village fires so things are about to kick off, hopefully.

I've been playing a bit of Thronebreaker and managed to get a pretty cool combo. It's an interesting card battler/puzzle game and it's in the Witcher universe so I've had a ton of fun with it.

Attachments

• 973760_20190816172928_1.png
    973760_20190816172928_1.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 183
So if anyone is curious, I ran my Banished game overnight and accidentally left it running while I was at work too. Overall it was running on the highest speed for about 15 real life hours.

Turns out I ended up checking in at just the right time. I looked around and actually had MORE people than before. My food reserves were almost the same as before and firewood was doing very well too.. but my tools were down to 20% of the initial amount. I checked and my production of tools was way too low. So if that had ran a bit longer people would run out of tools and then a lot of people would die.

I am not sure what in the tool production chain is the culprit, but I must not be mining enough of one of the metals. Maybe one of the mines ran dry. I haven't had time to doublecheck that, and I totally forgot to take a screencap too! I will post that the next time I run the game. I had a peek at the population graph and at first after I went to sleep my population continued increasing, but then dropped to about 80% of the initial amount. Ever since then it has been growing, though and is now about 25% higher than the initial amount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom