SDKs has been updated

There is not a single unique unit in the asset update. Is this supposed to be like this?

@dshirk, thanks so much for this release! It's great to have all the XP1 and XP2 assets to play with.

I did notice that the DLC art isn't included though - so no Domrey or Giant's Causeway assets for example - are there any plans to eventually release that too?

Did you figure out what is the correct path for all assets to be available simultaneously in the editor?

Did you figure out what is the correct path for all assets to be available simultaneously in the editor?

Not yet, no. If you create a new mod with Empty Mod (Gathering Storm) you can view slight more but still not XP Leaders and Units etc.

I think they've kept the existing pantry structure there because they don't want every ones Modbuddy projects to suddenly break. Perhaps the only way is to create a new merged pantry with everything in one then point your Assets dir at that.

@dshirk: Please can you explain how to configure a Modbuddy project so that all Expansion1 and Expansion2 assets show in the Asset Editor - Asset search? At the moment we're struggling to figure it out...

We can get the Expansion1 and Expansion2 checkboxes to appear, but none of the Expansion2 assets show up.

Here is what I have after adding the modart code lines. This using WE as a base project.

upload_2019-4-3_14-30-52.png

upload_2019-4-3_14-31-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-3_14-30-21.png
    upload_2019-4-3_14-30-21.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 125
Excellent.. i can now refer to authentic source files rather than plunging "almost blind" into complex XML structures to identify anything worth analyzing.
Having those assets should save many of us.. hours worth of trial/error steps when trying to produce some GFX alternatives or to design whatever else.
Thanks a bunch, Dennis+Firaxis staff!

Some info from @Leugi in case it's useful to anyone dealing with Expansion1 and Expansion2 assets not showing in the browser:

Important: In order for the new Asset Editor to allow you to open and reference XP stuff, remember to add dependencies on your Mod.Art.xml file. The AE now has a Mod.Art.xml editor so that's easier, but changes to the file dependencies prompt you to restore the Asset Editor. Still, it works and it does allow you to finally use XP stuff. However, it seems sometimes the Asset Browser messes up and doesn't show XP assets. They can still be accessed however if you open xlps/artdefs and press the "Open" button. Also remember to make sure the AE has actually closed itself before reopening or it will simply not open xD

I said the Asset Browser seems to mess up. However the assets are loaded in because now if you load an artdef or xlp from the xp pantry you can open the assets from there. It's annoying tho. Seems to be an issue with the browser specifically. As everything else understands the xp assets exist. Even the previewer. A good way to deal with this tho is once you open the assets you need you can resave them into your project. That way the browser will recognize them.

Last edited:
Some info from @Leugi in case it's useful to anyone dealing with Expansion1 and Expansion2 assets not showing in the browser:
Seems that the browser messes up all time, not just sometimes. The dependencies are there thanks to the few lines you suggested adding manually to the end of the modart.

The editor looks like this
upload_2019-4-3_17-27-47.png

Opening via XLP works, I can confirm. Just tried it.
'Shared' loads, but Exp 1 and 2 won't.

What's the thing with the 'dependency chain'? Perhaps there it goes wrong? Seems like these depend on each other.

Last edited:
Seems that the browser messes up all time, not just sometimes.

Agreed. I've never seen any Expansion Leaders, XP1 Unique Units or any XP2 Units in the browser, and other people describe the same issue.

A dependency chain is a stack of projects to look at while cooking and previewing assets. In general, you should only depend on the most derived project you need assets from, for instance, if you wanted to use EXP2 assets you would have ONLY Expansion 2 listed in the dependencies. Each dependency listed is really a stack of dependencies, so having Shared, Civ6, and Expansion 2 is redundant. The Expansion 2.Art.xml has Shared as its dependency, and Shared.Art.xml has Civ6 as a dependency etc

A dependency chain is a stack of projects to look at while cooking and previewing assets. In general, you should only depend on the most derived project you need assets from, for instance, if you wanted to use EXP2 assets you would have ONLY Expansion 2 listed in the dependencies. Each dependency listed is really a stack of dependencies, so having Shared, Civ6, and Expansion 2 is redundant. The Expansion 2.Art.xml has Shared as its dependency, and Shared.Art.xml has Civ6 as a dependency etc

That makes sense, but it doesn't explain why Expansion 2 assets don't show in the Asset Editor Asset browser when Expansion 2 is in the dependencies.

That makes sense, but it doesn't explain why Expansion 2 assets don't show in the Asset Editor Asset browser when Expansion 2 is in the dependencies.
So, I tried having just Exp 1 in the dependency and same thing, nothing loads. Why is it so redundant for a mod to depend on several pantries. They got different assets.
I am going to do good ol copy-paste of what i need...

The main problem is the dependency information controls how the cooker overrides an asset that exists in a dependent project. If more then one project you depend on overrides the same asset, there is no way to control which one is used during the cook. At run-time mods do have some control over this with LoadOrder, but at cook time there isn't much we can do.

Wouldn't it have been easier for everyone to have dumped everything in one pantry....
My problem is that I can't figure what depends on what...what is the chain of dependencies. Does having Exp1 in the dependency mean that Shared and Civ6 base are already there?

The SDK team has a reason that they kept them separate, but fear not, we have a modbuddy update incoming that should make this part easier.

The SDK team has a reason that they kept them separate, but fear not, we have a modbuddy update incoming that should make this part easier.
Yeah, thanks. Just make the rules clear and tell us what to do.

PS: Why did you leave out the Macedon/Persia/Australia DLC content?

Last edited:
Top Bottom