Seafaring is Superfluous: A No Ships Succession Game

No worries, we can research Medicine and get you back up to speed in no time.

Too late, I already stole that from the Americans during the last turnset I played...

Quick log:

preturn RB JSB
turn 1 JSB build, Verona build (at 115,35) and Salamis at (131,15), science to 80%, lux 10%, tax 10% -> tech every three turns, three deliveries to own cities (around 100g each)
turn 2 GOT learned start Iron Working, lost 2 vans (attack by Americans)
turn 3 gold to Cannae (90g), and other delivery 140g. Moved phalanx out of city on hill (fortified) and RB crusaders.
turn 4 lost phalanx (but got extra shield I wanted for RB), RB Barracks in Boston, dye to Atlanta (hides no longer demanded) 172g->hides demanded again, 6 vans to Holstebro for Shakespeare
turn 5 Americans discover Monotheism and attack our crusader with a crusader (zoom to city trick by AI or just cheating???), Shakespeare build, Iron Working discovered, start learing Engineering, gold to Nuremberg (72g), hides to Atlanta (192g+172g), dye to washington (84g), silk to Washington (demanded 276g), wine to Washington (90g), lux 50%, science 50% to start celebrating
turn 6 Holstebro build aquaduct, Engineering learned ->start Sanitation, salt to Washington (90g), hides to Atlanta (84g+ 168g + 168g), RB barrack in Cremona
turn 7 hides to Atlanta (232g), dye to Cremona (76g), salt to Konigsberg (44g), buying last units before attacking Washington
turn 8 Sanitation discovered->Invention starting, gems to Bonn (102g), Isaac newton completed with 8 vans (will be build next turn), Americans change to Republic
turn 9 Isaac Newton build, dye to Washington (132g), wine to Washington (176g), captured Washington after destroying wall (only one warrior as defender)->americans wants peace->forced by senate->RB wall
turn 10 more then 8M, hides to Atlanta (168g), silk to Philadelphia (150g), bribed Atlanta for 760g. We could bribe New York to get Pyramids next turn

Next player should check if some cities need other units/building to start building.

Attachments

• FR_A860.SAV
    145.9 KB · Views: 90
If Catwalk is here he can go before me, otherwise I'll start my turn tomorrow. No time to take a detailed look at the save just now.

The next 4 tech will be democracy, gunpowder, chemistry, explosives in some order. We are losing enough production to corruption to make the government change a high priority. Enough land still needs irrigation and roads to make engineers a requirement soon also.

We are in celebration mode, but few cities are capable of growth. Holstebro can push at least one more turn before happiness will prevent celebration, I will grow the SSC as long as possible. Meanwhile to allow growth in other cities, we need aqueducts everywhere, some harbors, and some more trade routes.

We have 28 cities, 19 settlers. I want more settlers but where could they be supported? Capua, Bremen, Cannae, Brandenburg. Problem is building settlers now instead of freight and aqueducts will slow down our growth to size 12, which is needed to make up for the trade cut:

We have 15(+18) vans and Invention will halve their payouts at the start of the next turn. Should I deliver vans anyway, pushing for a quicker road to democracy and explosives, or build aqueducts while stockpiling vans, and deliver once most cities have grown? (3-5 turns per advance depending on science rate)

Why are Dortmund and Munich producing marketplaces? They will switch to aqueducts. Other cities will finish their current projects before undertaking aqueducts also.

In the diplomatic arena, I will continue my predecessor's goal of hurting America until they can hurt us no more.

I don't have access to the game at the moment, but here are some general thoughts.

Something to keep in mind is that without numerous cities, we will be unable to get enough black hats to push up our luxury effectiveness. This means that our cities will have to produce more luxuries in order to celebrate. Also, we have less trade than usual because we are working roaded squares instead of ocean, and have a lot of domestic trade routes instead of foreign routes. This means we may need marketplaces in order to give cities enough luxuries to celebrate. I would at the very least check what cities will celebrate at 80% luxuries before cancelling marketplaces.

Regarding caravan deliveries, I would deliver caravans when they are demanded, as well as when cities could do with a little extra trade to boost luxuries. Beyond that, I would stockpile after invention, but still make some deliveries.

I don't see why we really need any more settlers at the moment. Most of our cities have enough roads and irrigation to work for a while. It may simply be worth sending the settlers from the relatively improved East to the less improved West.

To me, a much more important endeavor is to build the structures needed to do some more celebrating. So I would recommend shield-heavy worker allocation and setting production to Aqueducts, marketplaces, and, possibly, temples.

turn 0 860 - several settlers prepared to change orders. Konigsberg, Nuremberg arranged to celebrate to size 8. Various IRB to even out production, changed some orders to produce aqueducts.

Salamis, Genes harbor. Invention>Democracy (next up Chemistry>Gunpowder>Explosives). Holstebro sewer, celebration ends, worker reassignment and temple begun to alleviate that. Salzburg gold van.

turn 1 880 - Americans come out of disorder into Republic, refuse to talk. Cologne silk Holstebro 102. Konigsberg copper New York 78. Dortmund silk New York 96, phalanx disbanded to allow 10/turn production. New York would cost 472x2, saving money for the moment. Crusaders moved up to Atlanta.

Holstebro celebrates, Cannae gems van, Bonn gold van, Bremen gems, Hambourg gems. Konigsburg and Nuremberg reach size 8.

turn 2 900 - SanFran revolts, bought for 206x2, 23g looted + temple, walls, harbor, settler, horse. Some cities working at food deficit to hasten aqueducts, none facing starvation. Regrettably we can't afford to rush build many and van payouts will stagnate until our cities grow, so we're taking 8 turns per city per aqueduct to produce them the old fashioned way.

Cremona dip. Naples gold van, Boston silver, Berlin silver. Happiness issues end Washington celebration at size 6, Elvis recruited. 9m citizens.

turn 3 920 - Not much of interest, apparently. I didn't expect the turn to end so fast.

Crete coal, Stuttgart silk. Democracy>Chemistry. Revolution! Disorder in Munich, Hambourg, Konigsberg, Nuremberg, Cologne, Boston. Heidelburg cloth, Leipzig wine.

turn 4 940 - Production got messed up a bit with the brief anarchy, adjustments made. Chicago revolts, bought for 174x2, 19g looted + barracks, temple, market, walls, diplomat, barracks sold, troop withdrawal request accepted (I was hoping for war). Infrastructure is so scarce I'm going to make a settler or two in America.

Glorious German civilization is largest in the world, pathetic Americans with their 3 cities are sixth. Crete celebrates. Holstebro temple. Order restored everywhere, celebration recommences uselessly in most cities.

turn 5 960 - Cunaxa beads Cremona 46, yuck. Americans are disgustingly submissive now. SanFran, Atlanta reach size 8.

Nuremberg gems van. 10m citizens.

turn 6 980 - Paid 184 for NONE settler near Buffalo. Bremen silk Buffalo 147. Cannae dye SanFran 84. Washington spends 132 on aqueduct.

Dortmund, Washington aqueduct. Salzburg harbor. Chemistry>Gunpowder.

turn 7 1000 - Maintenance up to 31. Leipzig and Heidelburg xinning shields to speed aqueduct production. Bremen spends just over 100g on aqueduct.

American crusader moves next to diplomat but does not expel it. Perhaps they have resigned themselves to peace. Crete celebration ends at size 5, requires harbor or trade route or both to continue, and we're down to 131g (100 required for harbor) so I'll sit on that. Capua, Cunaxa, Brandenburg, Bremen aqueduct.

turn 8 1020 - Maintenance is 39, income still 12. Capua dye Stuttgart 78g (and 2 badly needed trade routes, both can now celebrate). Washington spends 116 on harbor. Cannae silver Washington 105 unblocks gems and coal. Munich gems Washington 129. Munich spends 85 on aqueduct, Crete 100 on harbor.

Crete, Washington harbor. Cannae, Issos, Atlanta, Munich aqueduct. 11m citizens.

turn 9 1040 - Heidelburg cloth Holstebro 39(n) attempts to unblock commodities, instead changes them to (gems) (silk) silver. Brandenburg spice 40(n) unblocks silk.

Americans develop Construction. Holstebro wool van. Chicago settler. Gunpowder (barracks autosold for 120) > Explosives. Bonn, Konigsberg aqueduct. 13m citizens.

turn 10 1060 - Holstebro reaches size 20. Stuttgart silk Holstebro 93. Issos beads NewYork 54(n) unblocks gems and coal. Leipzig silk NewYork 42. Hambourg gems NewYork 105. Salzburg gold Cannae 102. Boston silver Naples 72. Leipzig, Heidelberg, Salzburg, Stuttgart spend 100 on aqueduct, Cologne 60, SanFran 76.

Dortmund, Capua, Issos, Konigsberg are barely celebrating.
Holstebro should lose its last forest next turn, leaving only 1 swamp and 1 hill not producing trade. It is getting difficult to celebrate there also.
The few cities still lacking aqueducts (excluding 4-5 baby cities) will finish construction in 1-2 turns. Crete, Salamis, Genes, Verona, Chicago have not started, and Cremona should not be allowed to grow.
The pitiful trade returns were necessary to establish trade routes, a task whose completion is left to my successor. I have depleted the caravan supply somewhat and not replenished it, as operation aqueduct required all our resources. As a result, I hope the next president enjoys a period of growth and prosperity while preparing to deal with the mounting concern of raw sewage in the streets.
Wonder construction was neglected under my rule. When explosives are discovered in 2-3 turns, it would be nice to have Leo's, and I must give my apologies for not making any preparations for that. There are 4 caravans in the vicinity of Holstebro which could be used for such a purpose if you are so inclined.

View attachment FR_A1060.SAV

If Catwalk doesn't post by Friday, I'll start playing.

I'm thinking that I'll cut luxuries and run 80 or 90 percent taxes in order to partial rush buy the infrastructure that we need. I don't like the idea of running 50% luxuries on a more or less permanent basis to haphazardly grow a handful of cities at a time.

Should I have cut luxuries and taxed enough to rush 20some aqueducts while building vans then, instead of how I ran these turns? Holstebro would not be so large but the small gains in other cities will probably turn out to be inconsequential.

I haven't looked closely enough at your save (and I don't have access to that one or the current one at the moment either) to say for sure. I'd be able to give a more concrete answer if we didn't currently own Atlanta and Washington. Growing these cities has an impact on all the cities that trade with them (which is quite a few).

Basically, since we don't have the benefit of intercontinental trade, we don't get as much benefit from a high luxury rate. Normally, having trade income means that devoting a large portion of your trade to luxuries doesn't impact your income too much, and growing cities a few at a time helps a lot more because you can get a lot of money back simply by delivering a few caravans from a newly grown city. Also, because of the pace of technological progress, time is more valuable relative to gold in a standard trade game.

In our circumstance, however, running a 50% luxury rate consumes half of our total income, so running it for a prolonged period of time is much more costly. From what I remember about our game, 40% taxes yield roughly 380 gold. We'll figure that running 50% luxuries over 10% luxuries would have cost about 300 gold (we did have some growth, and some workers might have been re-adjusted to make 10% work) or some equivalent amount of science. A simple question for you to decide if you should have run the luxuries is this: would you prefer to have the population you started your turns with and 3000 gold in the bank, or the population that you ended your turns with?

If we're not growing a substantial number of cities, then we are paying quite a bit of gold per citizen. The SSC does have to grow more than our other cities, so we can't celebrate it only when we are celebrating our other cities, but it would make more sense to celebrate it afterwards instead of before. After a celebration, we usually have to run a higher luxury rate than we did before the celebration, until we catch up in infrastructure. We can then buy a marketplace and bank in our SSC, and with the doubled luxuries (and, perhaps some entertainers) celebrate as much as the city can, without running high luxuries everywhere in the civ. At the very least, if we have to raise luxuries, it is not as much as if the city had no improvements. Once the celebration is complete, the improvements can be sold if we really don't need them, making the cost 200 gold plus maintenance and any discounting for shelling out the 400 gold early. The cost is somewhat less than the lost taxes by celebrating the city before the others (and all we lose is the production of the extra citizens in the time between the early celebration and the late one).

After Democracy, I probably would have cut science for taxes (to get the infrastructure ready for celebration). I don't think that explosives are crucial to have for our next celebration, so getting funding for the necessary infrastructure (and diverting some to Leo's) would have been wiser, in my opinion.

I have drawn up a schedule for the celebration and what must be built during the celebration. With the appropriate use of partial rush buying, I have estimated that the stockpile of gold required before the celebrations start is roughly 6000. This is assuming that all cities have temples and aqueducts before the celebration starts, but does not take into account taxes gathered during the celebration (so there will be some margin for error). At 90% taxes, I take in a little over 700 gold per turn (after maintenance), so this turnset will be almost exclusively devoted to raising the money and building the necessary temples and aqueducts.

(0) AD 1060: Raise taxes to 90% and re-arrange civ to accommodate this. Only science produced is in Holstebro by 3 scientists. Rush a marketplace in Washington for 156 gold, because at current tax rate, break-even occurs in less than 7 turns (and I expect to be running this rate and stockpiling money for at least that length of time). Will do the same for Holstebro soon. Sell unneeded walls in Washington, Cremona. Rush harbour construction to Cremona to 40 shields; disband the Cremona crusader in Atlanta so the former city gets 2 shield production (should finish harbour by the time it is needed) and the latter city can produce a temple next turn and get started on a harbour. Sell the temple in Holstebro, as it is unnecessary.

(1) AD 1080: WLTCD cancelled everywhere. Aqueducts in San Francisco, Salzburg, Stuttgart, Cologne, Heidelburg, Hambourg, and Leipzig . Temple in Atlanta, Market in Washington. Rush market in Holstebro to 60 shields. Munich Silk (d) to New York for 111g. Rush Aqueduct in Crete to 60 shields so that the rest can be built by the city.

(2) AD 1100: Verona cloth. Dortmund Salt. Aqueducts in Nuremburg, Boston, Berlin. Rush Stuttgart to 40 shields, rush a Temple in Washington.

(3) AD 1120: Holstebro Market (switch scientists in the city to taxmen), Cunaxa cloth, Naples Aqueduct, Brandenburg dye, Washington Temple.

(4) AD 1140: Capua beads, Issos temple, Konigsberg temple.

(5) AD 1160: Carthaginians begin King Richard’s Crusade. Salzburg temple, Bonn temple, Stuttgart harbour, Munich temple, Hambourg temple. Draw up a plan to turn luxuries on for the 1220 turn. According to plan, I will have to spend 4000 gold on rushbuys; already have 3700 and will collect balance in the next two turns; surplus gold collected will be kept to make emergency rushbuilds, etc. Spend 250g on rushbuys.

(6) AD 1180: Temples in Cunaxa, Naples, Brandenburg, Bremen, Nuremburg, Boston. American attitude down to Cordial, Berlin Silver to Buffalo (d) for 92g, and attitude back up to Enthusiastic. 76 gold spend on rushbuilding.

(7) AD 1200: Atlanta Sewer, Heidelburg temple. Spend 804g on rushbuilding. Raise luxuries to 60% and adjust some production. Science to 20%. Stop food accumulation in Genes. Holstebro gets less trade from its Washington trade route than Washington gets, so I think that I made an error when I recommended building Genes on that spot to be a station city for Holstebro. If this is the case, I want the city to be easy to disband.

(8) AD 1220: WLTCD just everywhere. Crete aqueduct, Holstebro food, Capua temple, Cologne temple, Washington Sewer System. 7 caravans into Holstebro for Leo’s; will let the city supply the last 50 shields manually, because there is no urgent need for the wonder. Spend 846 gold.

(9) AD 1240: Carthaginians nearly complete King Richard’s Crusade. Sewers in Cannae, Cunaxa, Brandenburg, Bremen, Konigsberg. Harbours in Issos, Naples, Hambourg. Berlin Food. Spend 480 on rushbuilds.

(10) AD 1260: Utique builds KRC. Barbs land near Chicago. Explosives, begin Economics (over bridge building and Chivalry) since there are no techs on-path to refrigeration. Chicago Coal. Cremona harbour. Atlanta harbour. Stuttgart builds temple. Cologne harbour. Bribe barb legion for 82g and crush barb stack. Forgot to record expenditures. Employing the explorer to go from Holstebro to Washington using the “G” command reveals that Genes should indeed have been built on the swamp instead of where it was built. I’m not sure how I made the mistake when I employed the explorer during my last turnset, but we do have to uproot Genes and build it beside the current location. We should check the path to other cities before we make a decision, however.

Notes:

I spent much more time planning this turnset than I usually do. I had a production schedule for what had to be completed by each “celebration turn” in order not to lose time due to lack of structures. Part way though the turnset I made a guess as to what turn I could start the celebration and made more accurate calculations (which showed that I could indeed start the celebration when I did). Unfortunately, the schedule extended beyond my turnset, so I have some minor instructions.
Everything is set up for next turn (although the next player might want to double check that all cities have a food surplus). On the turn after, make sure that the cities in the following list that have an improvement beside them (I lifted the list out of the Excel sheet I was working with) will build that improvement in the year 1300 (that is, conduct any necessary rushbuys at the end of the next player’s first turn).

Washington
Berlin
Leipzig
Hambourg SEWER
Konigsberg HARBOUR
Boston SEWER
Munich
Heidelburg SEWER
Nuremburg SEWER
Cologne SEWER
Bremen HARBOUR
Stuttgart
Bonn SEWER
Atlanta
Salzburg SEWER
Dortmond
Brandenburg
Naples
Issos
Cunaxa
Cremona
Cannae HARBOUR
Capua
Chicago
San Francisco SEWER
Holstebro
Genes
Crete
Verona
Salamis

Nothing much is complicated beyond the year 1300, just a few aqueducts and a harbour or two. The next player may have to rush buy a few improvements to keep some cities celebrating, but I don’t foresee any great difficulty. If my calculations are correct, most cities should be able to grow to size 16 or 17 (a handful that I didn’t think could make it didn’t get sewers).

Cities that built everything I expected them to need were set to produce libraries; change these to whatever you like.

We’re currently researching Economics, and we could use Adam Smith’s, so some more caravans wouldn’t hurt. Leo’s is almost done (I didn’t see any need to finish it right away).

In my opinion, our next tech path should be Refrigeration, although it will probably take us a while to get there. If we can, I’d like to get it before HG expires; if we can max out our cities using HG, we won’t need to get CFC or build lots of courthouses.

As I mentioned in my log, Genes does not actually function as a station city for Holstebro-Washington trade routes; we may want to uproot the city.

Attachments

• FR_A1260.SAV
    146.8 KB · Views: 108
Now, it will be my turn or Catwalk's... I'm thinking that I'll start playing Tuesday if he does not post by that time.

Catwalk was supposed to be back on the 27th of May, so he's been missing for about a month now. If you are able to start sooner, you might as well do so.

Amazing, Prof, thanks for showing how it should be done. I had no idea how insufficient my planning was.

Genes is only needed as a station city because we can't build bridges on the Berlin River. We're going to have to research bridges eventually unless we can get them from somebody else, and we will only ever build them on three squares.. You're probably right to put it off.

Cremona is going to restrict Washington, Boston, and Atlanta if we don't cut it down a bit. The only squares not workable by other nearby cities are the swamp and 3 ocean tiles to the east, leaving a food deficit of 6.

Once the current irrigation square is done, Chicago should be able to celebrate to size 10 if it gets an aqueduct and happiness allows (road shortage may prevent it).

Crete can make gems and silk and has a coal van 2 turns from delivery but is producing a temple, maybe switch that to caravan?

Top Bottom