Seed 5432154321 Rant

an old man

Chieftain
I spend quite a bit of time looking for (what I think are) good seeds. Having tried somewhere around 50, this is definitely superior to all the others. It has so many tribal villages that I got at least 3 builders and 3 population increases, 5 scouts (one of which I raised to level 5), and a LOT of technology increases. It also has lots of resources and for many of the cities there were three grouped double food hexes for making farms.

I was playing large continents and do not know what variations there would be to this seed if using other land mass options.

And I use the same number for both seeds.

I hope someone tries this and also finds it worth pursuing and would welcome hearing how it compared to other seeds you have played.

Well well well..... I tried this seed again in a new game with different leaders and skill level and while entering the seed number noticed that after entering 5432154321 for the random game seed, and clicking on the random map seed to change it also, the game seed changed to 5432154112. There is no seed 5432154321. When I entered this for the random map seed and then clicked on "begin game" the seed number changed to -2147483648 (it took me several times to get this number correct as it flashes very quickly to the loading screen when clicking on "begin game".

So if anyone wants to play the seed, the correct seed numbers are (I think it IS right this time) 5432154112 for the random game seed and -2147483648 for the random map seed.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.......

Note that playing with a different civilization may very well give a different start location, due to starting biases. Also, goody hut rewards are decided on when you step on them, and I don't think they rely on the game seed, but rather another seed (e.g. your computer clock, likely down to the second or even more precise).

Note that playing with a different civilization may very well give a different start location, due to starting biases. Also, goody hut rewards are decided on when you step on them, and I don't think they rely on the game seed, but rather another seed (e.g. your computer clock, likely down to the second or even more precise).

If you play the same seed and make exactly the same moves, you should get exactly the same rewards from tribal villages. There's a community of (mostly Chinese) players that relies on this fact to optimize games to ridiculous levels. The map is generated from the map seed and everything else comes from the game seed.

If you play the same seed and make exactly the same moves, you should get exactly the same rewards from tribal villages. There's a community of (mostly Chinese) players that relies on this fact to optimize games to ridiculous levels. The map is generated from the map seed and everything else comes from the game seed.

Does that also mean that if you load a saved game, you get the same results from the goody huts? Because I thought that wasn't the case anymore these days. I remember that in Civ 4 you could enable or disable new seed on reload, but I thought they removed the same seed thing, just like it wasn't a thing in e.g. Civ 2. That said, I will admit I could never be bothered to try and abuse it anyway.

Does that also mean that if you load a saved game, you get the same results from the goody huts? Because I thought that wasn't the case anymore these days. I remember that in Civ 4 you could enable or disable new seed on reload, but I thought they removed the same seed thing, just like it wasn't a thing in e.g. Civ 2. That said, I will admit I could never be bothered to try and abuse it anyway.

You can try this yourself. Make a save before taking a tribal village, then take the village, reload the save, and take the village again.

You can try this yourself. Make a save before taking a tribal village, then take the village, reload the save, and take the village again.

I mean, I'm willing to believe you, I just wanted to make sure.

You’re kind of both right, I think. Reloading and taking the hut on the same turn will always give the same result. But reloading and taking the hut on another turn will cause a new roll for the reward, if I’m not mistaken.

You’re kind of both right, I think. Reloading and taking the hut on the same turn will always give the same result. But reloading and taking the hut on another turn will cause a new roll for the reward, if I’m not mistaken.

Well, sure. Lots of things happen between one turn and the next. The seed starts a sequence of pseudo-random numbers. Everything that needs a random number uses the next one in the sequence. So, if the AI takes a tribal village, that uses a number. If one unit attacks another, that uses a number (or more than one, most likely). Etc.

In fact, the turn doesn't matter at all. If you yourself do something else that requires a random number before taking the village, even on the same turn, then you'll get a different result.

If it's like older civ games, anything that calls RNG sequence done before taking the hut should change the outcome. Probably even doing a combat or something similar.

If it's like older civ games, anything that calls RNG sequence done before taking the hut should change the outcome. Probably even doing a combat or something similar.
Yes, that is how it is. Shuffling your event order can change the outcome even on the same turn.

Top Bottom