Setting-Appropriate Curses

Somewhat lighthearted one for a follower of the Octopus Overlords, shamelessly stolen from the Foglio's excellent comic Girl Genius:

"Ah go kiss an octopus...oh wait! Your mother already did!"

When someone says something you disagree with, you respond by saying "That doesn't rhyme." Or when faced with a difficult or suspicious situation you casually say "Something about this just isn't rhyming."
Heh, that's pretty good.
Edit: I love the Balseraphs so much I am planning on writing up a monkey ton of information on how I see their culture and daily lives. I'll share it with everyone when I finish.
Yes, please do. They are actually one of the 'nations' I have the most trouble visualizing.

Elves when referring to dwarves....
The stumpy's
or in more sophisticated circles....
Our bearded brother's

I would imagine that the single most offensive thing one Balseraph could call another is "Boring."

How about "Square"?

How would the Grigori curse? Since they don't respect the gods, are they more blasphemous, or do they save up their major curses for stuff they actually believe in?

Everyone says "god damn it". Doesn't matter if you actually believe in gods.

I thought I remembered reading that the Grigori were know for their "very interesting curses devoid of religious connotations/wording/vows" (or something like that). Of course, taking the gods' names in vain seems appropriate for those who despise them too.

I thought I remembered reading that the Grigori were know for their "very interesting curses devoid of religious connotations/wording/vows" (or something like that). Of course, taking the gods' names in vain seems appropriate for those who despise them too.
If it's anything like Toril(Forgotten Realms), taking a God's name in vain is actually mildly beneficial to the God in question...

Everyone says "god damn it". Doesn't matter if you actually believe in gods.

I'm fairly certain that a devout Christian is less likely to use "Jesus Christ!" as a curse than a non-Christian. Besides, look at the literal meanings of blasphemous swearing. If you say "For Christ's sake, turn off that god-damned music or I swear to God I'm calling the police!", you're actually saying, "I demand that you turn off this vile music--which has been declared unwholesome and perverse by the LORD God Almighty--in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, or else I will call the police. This I swear before God in all his majesty, and my I be cast into Hell, where there is much weeping and gnashing of teeth, if I fail to carry out this sacred duty!" In a world where Confessors can keep track of such oaths, and probably punish you severely for failing to carry them out, you're more likely to take something like that seriously.

The Grigori, I imagine, wouldn't really take an oath like that too seriously. They'd be idiots to think Junil has no power, but they don't believe Junil should have power. I could see them mocking Junil's oaths as hyperbole, since none of them believe that they should ultimately be binding.

That being said, the Magister's post sounds familiar to me. A topic on languages, perhaps?

EDIT: Found it.

The Grigori, more than any other, are strongly affected by the many newcomers, who flee the oppressive reign of the priests, gods and religions. Grigori is, in many was, the English of Erebus, constantly undergoing change through the adoption of new words, altering them to make a seamless, flowing and evolving language. The Grigori are particularly noteworthy for their very interesting swearing, which is devoid of religious connotations.

From Wilboman.

Yeah, those confessors... sometimes I feel their ability to force people to confess and carry out what they said may be potentially more dangerous than the ritualists. At least when you're fighting the bannor, make sure they don't capture any soldiers and then work out every plan you had with a series of yes/no questions.

ARISE! ARISE I SAY!

I just found this and immediately thought of this thread - plenty of inspiration here - my personal favourite is "green hat".

Definitely not for underagers, the faint of heart, or people at risk of their boss reading over their shoulder.

I'm going to have to try a few of those out.

Some links just for fun.
Elizabethan Curse Generator

Celtic Curse Generator (At the time of posting, the site is down. Don't know if that's temporary or permanent. When it works, it lets you select a combination of phrases and translates them into Gaelic. The one I made was "May the malevolent hedgehogs gnaw on your manly parts.")

I would imagine that the single most offensive thing one Balseraph could call another is "Boring."
Possibly "Mark", as in "easy mark." This is from the old circus/carny days when the carny folk would put a discreet chalk mark on the clothes of naive or gullible visitors so the rest of the circus would know that this was a fool you could easily separate from his money.

And a modification of an old Chinese curse for the Balseraphs.
"May Perpentach notice you."

The Elohim might be derided as "psalm-singers" or "holy joes". Trying to think of an insulting name for the Bannor, but it's harder when the target in question is a militant religious zealot, heavily armed and armored. That inspires a certain wary respect, even if you detest them.

Malakim = Dust bunnies. (Or sand fleas.)

Balseraphs = Loonies. (Except the Balseraphs probably relish the insult ... "Ha! Stupid straights don't get the joke!")

that site is awesome, now i know how to respond to being cursed out in spanish (i don't speak it but i live in california)

A couple that came to mind:

"Ice and Fire!" - An expression of dismay, used when something has gone horribly wrong. Refers to the catastrophe that occured when Bhall fell and Mulcarn entered the world.

"Dwarf-handed" - Stingy, or if you want to be a little more charitable, frugal, because Dwarves are both.

"Bellhead" - Insulting term towards Balseraphs, or anyone who is a little detached from reality. Comes from the bells that Balseraph clowns wear in their headdresses.

"Iron Skulls" - Insulting term towards the Bannor, because they often wear their helmets when politeness would require them to take them off. Also means they're a bit thick, or at least rigid.

Top Bottom