Setting-Appropriate Curses

vorshlumpf

Emperor
Curses, epithets, profanities. They're great to use in a role-playing situation when appropriate to the setting. In my D&D game last night, we came across this colourful aspect but were stumped on the spur of the moment. So I ask those here, what sorts of curses do you think would be heard on Erebus?

Well, aside from the common ones you'd see on earth, like bastard and the like, there are probably a few that would be Erebus specific..... Not that anything I recommend would be taken as canonical I hope.

Junil's Jaws! (for the alliteration!)

Icicles could refer to the Doviello/Illians.....

Orcs probably have a whole lot of epithets about their anger issues, hygene, and stupidity..... not that I'm creative enough to think of any.......

Monster lovers for Kuriotites.

Godless could refer to the Grigori.

I'm going to stop now, before I come up with more lame things.

As straight as the circle of Gaelan! *Shoots himself in the head for such idiocy.*

Edit: I could see any of the horsemen's names being taken in vain.

or anything sexual referring to kilimorph

Did anyone watch Rome when it was on? I loved the cursing in that, the ones based around gods' names, e.g. "Juno's c**t", "sucking Pluto's c**k", etc. Perhaps something like that could be applied to Erebus, similar to Tyr's idea above.

I don't have any detail on this. The only cussing that went on in the D&D games was usually right after a bad dice role and wasn't in character. If I were to put some thought in it I would go back to our own medieval cursing, especially those of celtic and medieval origon. Doing that gives us the following:

Apron Knight - A pimp.

Bathhouse - Bathhouses were usually also Brothels.

Bite - Unpleasant term for vagina. 15th - 18thC.

Bow - Euphamism for Penis, i.e. it “shoots arrows”.

Cods - (Slang) Testicles. A very common term for them. Gave it’s name to the “Codpiece” on a gentleman’s hose.

Cwm - Female genitals. This word is Welsh for “valley”, and is derived from celtic roots. The word later (around 18thC)morphed into “quim” in English.

Dowsetts - Testicles. A Dowset was a dish of Stag’s Testicles. Yummy!

Duckies - Breasts, 15th - 16th C.

Foin - 14thC term for sexual intercourse. Lit. “Thrust with a pointed weapon”.

Jay - A prostitute.

Lance - Euphamism for Penis. Used throughout the mid-late medieval times.

Nock - Vagina, 15th-16thC. The term refers to the “nock” on an arrow, which is the groove where the bow string sits.

Nonny-No - Female genitals. Very late 15thC and throughout 16thC. Nonny-no was a nonsense word used to referr to the private parts in bawdy folk songs. Later Hey Nonny No (ref “There was a lover and his lass”).

Pillicock - Penis. This term was used in the North of England, and is still used today as Pillock. See the section below for more. First Used in the 14thC.

Scutt - Pubic hair 15th - 16th C. A scutt is a rabbit’s tail.

Stalk - An erect penis.

Sard - To have sex. Used 10th-17thC, first appeard in the Lindesfarne Gospel.

Swive - (verb) This meant to have sex, often referring to extra marital sex.

Tallywacker - Penis. The term derives from a notched “tally-stick” used in early banking and accounting. This originates from the 17C, but it is Kris’s favourite so I had to put it in.

Tickle-Tail - Penis ALSO a promiscuous woman. Used from 15thC - 18thC.

Tup - Sexual intercourse. This word originally referred to mating sheep and goats.

Tread - Sexual intercourse. This word originally referred to mating birds.

Twanger - Penis. The first use of the term I have found is in the 1480’s, but I have found no evidence as to the origin.

I'd probably mix these with Erebus references to come up with curses, such as:

"Ceridwens Bite!" - Strong explective

"As nice as Keelyn's Duckies" - nice, abbreviated just to "Keelyn's Duckies" or "Ducky" to mean good.

"Mulstalk" - abbreviation of "Mulcarns Stalk", someone who appears strong but fails at the last minute or an impotent man. Mulcarn would be the only god to just his name abused so badly since the feeling is that you cant draw his ire by misusing it.

"Burning Swive" - an explective, sudden impending doom. A reference to the night Bhall fell and fire rained down on Erebus. Even more prominant among the Bannor where it means a sudden drop from normal peaceful life into hell.

"Galloweis!" - Most common among the Bannor. Named after small demons in hell that hunted the bannor. They didn't attack directly but would stalk the bannor looking for exposed children to capture. If they captured a child they would torture and possess them. A few days later the children would sneak back into the camp attempting to kill their parents, even if unsuccessful or captured they were beyond saving and the Bannor would be forced to kill them.

Sweet Jesus! That's quite a great list of old profanity. I'll try some out at Easter dinner with the grandparents. :p

Alexis's Bite would have an amusing double meaning that would be enjoyed by Calabim kids.

Thanks for all that, Kael. That's pretty awesome! Here's my own contribution.

When doing my own research, I looked primarily at religious curses and their origins. One page I found (the essay being spread around the 'Net quite a bit) talks specifically of Catholic/Christian curse words:
http://www.studyworld.com/newsite/ReportEssay/literature/Mythology\Evolution_of_Profanity-7.htm
Apparently 'gadzooks' is derived from God's Hooks, a reference to the crucifixion, and was therefor quite offensive. 'Blimey' comes from the Cockney expression "Gorblimey" or "God blind me". Generally anything referencing God's / Jesus' blood or the crucifixion was a severe expletive.

The wikipedia page on profanity is also an interesting read. In particular, I like the list of types of profanity for each culture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity

It's hard to use our world's religious profanity to come up with appropriate Erebus profanity. The "God" of our world doesn't have different spheres of influence or varied origin stories, like the pantheon of Erebus. Also, despite what some people may claim, one will not get struck down by cursing in our world. Though that won't exactly happen on Erebus, you certainly don't want to get a god pissed off at you.

Other considerations I tried to keep in mind were based on sound. Alliteration. Rhyming. Hard consonants. Quick and easy sayings. These are what make long-lasting profanity.

So, here are a few ideas I came up with:

"Junil/Lugus blind me!"
I think a follower of Junil would use this curse if ever confronted with something they feel blasphemous. Junil simply seems like one of the most rigid gods to me - but that could be because of how the Bannor present his teachings.
Anyone would use the Lugus version, of course. He is the sun god afterall. In this case, it would be similar in usage to the Junil version, but more widely applied to anything the speaker doesn't want to see (or hear).

"Junil bind me!"
I don't know why this came to mind, though it has an obvious similarity to the previous one. In this case, the speaker is voicing concern over their own conduct. Think of, "or so help me!"

"Bhall's fall!"
It rhyming made this obvious. I think of this being used when the speaker is made aware of some rather bad news. Of course, would be considered blasphemous by those who currently worship Bhall. Similar to "Damn it!"

"Arawn take you!"
A common battle cry, but also a curse used upon those you wish ill-will, especially when you can't do anything to them yourself. Similar to "Damn you!"

"The attention of Arawn."
An idiom meant to express the state of being ignored.

"Sirona guide me."
"Lugus light the way!"
Similar sayings used by the devout hoping for extra wisdom or foresight.

"Pieces of Sucellus!"
Similar to profanity surrounding the crucifixion, I thought there should be something for the dismemberment of Sucellus. Simply used to express shock. Often shortened to simply, "Pieces!"

This next one will come across as a rip-off. It basically is, but I like it too much. (thanks, Rex rgis of Ter)
"Agares' Blood and the Ashes of Hell!"
A very strong expletive, likely originating from the Bannor survivors of hell. "Agares' blood" refers to the many twisted creatures that live in the realm of Agares. "Ashes of Hell" specifically refers to the choking fields of ash within Agares' realm, but generally indicates the many horrible forms of geography in that place. The two together sum up what the Bannor had to endure while in Hell. Variations include:
"Agares' Blood!"
"Bloody hell!"
"Blood and ashes!"

I hope to get more (at least one for each god), but this is a good start.

Hey, I just sign on just to put down some swear words.

Kilmorph take me - A dwarven swear word base on Odio's Prison

Dumb/Uncivil/Raunchy as a greenback - A term for Orcs and greenskins

- A God's - Apron Knight - A bad term for a priest.

Root Rot/Firestarter - A swear word for the elves, of corse in elvish would be better sounding.

Gre-tap - Short for Greenskin tup. . . Or a child whos parents were greenskins

As bad as a Calabim's bathhouse - So the bathhouses in the game are really?

Also "You are as useless as Mulcarn's Bow" comes to mind.

Ops Double Post. . .

Guess I'll just list the ones I like:

Lugus Blind Me!
Arawn Take You!
Burning Swive!
You MulStalk!
Agare's Blood!

As Dull as Mulcarn's Lance. . .

How would the Grigori curse? Since they don't respect the gods, are they more blasphemous, or do they save up their major curses for stuff they actually believe in?

Grigori about god-worshipers: shepherd's lambs, shearlings.
Calabim aristocracy about:
- Calabim people: Sweet herd.
- Clan, Doviello and Barbarians: Wild herd.
- Lanun: Seafood.
- Hippus: Fast food.

Actually mentioning gods in Curses is not obvious. Leave it to Elochim. :)

Malakim may wish your oasis to dry up. Calabim vampire can abuse the equal naming him a food. Lanun propose a kraken in your ass. Kuriotate say you stinky and wish you to drown in your excrements (as sanitation is important in big cities). Hippus say you are pedestrian (sorry) or call a blight on your horse. Swartalfar will abuse your mother while orc - your father and your clan. Balseraph say you are goody. Etc...

Here's one:
As Loyal as a Hippus.

I'll take it upon myself to think of some good ones for the Balseraphs. The one that comes to me just off the top of my head isn't profanity per se, but a simple exclamation having to do with their leader's penchent for speaking in rhyme.

When someone says something you disagree with, you respond by saying "That doesn't rhyme." Or when faced with a difficult or suspicious situation you casually say "Something about this just isn't rhyming."

Edit: I love the Balseraphs so much I am planning on writing up a monkey ton of information on how I see their culture and daily lives. I'll share it with everyone when I finish. I am not planning on any of this ever making it into the game of course, I just love the civ so much I want to create my own history and personality for it. One of my first entries is on the promotion of a student of magic to a full fledged adept. The potential adept is taken to the court at Jubilee where he is posed a riddle by Perpentach. He has one week to give his answer. If he fails, instead of joining the ranks of the adepts he is taken to the slave ghettos and made an entertainer to help bolster the morale of the slave force. His own immediate family is also thrown into bondage to encourage him to do a good job. If he succeeds, he is granted the title of Adept which aside from being important militarily and culturally, actually enters him into the Nobility. This is a huge economic boon for himself and his family. It is a huge risk/reward system encouraging only the smartest and most cunning students join Perpentachs ranks of the Aristocracy.

Top Bottom