Settle the GA or CLTURE BOMB?

I was just wandering what people would do about GAs. Do you usually settle them or culture bomb them? When is it more effective to settle over culture bomb. What are some scenarios that you might want to save GAs for? Just a few questions I wanted to ask. :)

Depends on the situation.

If going for a culture win and early in the game, settle.

If going for a culture win and late in the game, culture bomb.

If not going for a culture win, use for a golden age or culture bomb in a newly conquered city, depending on what looks most useful.

You can also bulb radio or mass media with a Great Artist, which can be worth it if you have a spare one knocking about and are going for a quick UN win. I think they can bulb Military Tradition too ;)

None of those techs are fully bulbable with a great artist but if it's speed your after and you can't use one for a golden age it's ok for knocking a few turns off.

Also when if you've taken some enemy cities after a bit of warring and their borders are a little too close for comfort at peace, it may be wise to stick a GA in there to culture bomb it.

One adder to Dr. Lake's list - if you are losing ground on the borders and want to protect a critical tile, settling the GA will usually assure you maintain control.

Culture bombs are also good for blocking off land that you can later settle when you feel like it.

For non culture wins usually settling is better due to other effects. For culture wins, compare bomb culture vs expected culture (factoring multipliers) by your projected finish date via settling. Usually, bombing wins for culture games unless you get one very, very early in the game and have a top 3 city picked for sure to place it.

Okay thanks everyone. Though I don't care if more comes. Crap I misspelled culture.

For non culture wins usually settling is better due to other effects. For culture wins, compare bomb culture vs expected culture (factoring multipliers) by your projected finish date via settling. Usually, bombing wins for culture games unless you get one very, very early in the game and have a top 3 city picked for sure to place it.
This is all true, but sometimes the best option is simply to pull a well timed Golden age with it , even if you're going to culture. The maths on this are quite intricate indeed :D

Assuming :bts:, if you get him in the late Industrial or early Modern era, founding Civilized Jewelers is an option as well. A few extra :gold: per city ain't too shabby. The downside is it's no-go with State Property. Another downside is: to really empower Civ Jewels, you need to hold onto resources that are valuable for trading. The upsides are: you can combine Civilized Jewelers with Creative Constructions and Sid's Sushi to generate Over 9,000 :culture: per turn along with those corps' :food: and :hammers:.

If Jewelers is already founded (or I'm planning to found it), I usually burn'm on Golden Ages or settle GA's in my Wall Street city to milk his :gold:. In my mind, :gold: is more strategically important than :culture:. For border cities, :culture: is more tactically important than :gold:. It's of tactical relevance in both scope and timing. Having a :culture: border war with a neighbor is usually temporary. Sure a settled GA gives a good bit of :culture: to help push back, but so can running artists, building :culture:, cranking up slider or a SoD conquering the offending neighboring cities. Once that :culture: besieged border city is no longer a border city, the :culture: from that Great Artist isn't really helping anything unless you're going for a cultural victory.

State property and culture really don't mix. Mercantilism for a free artist and then free market to get extra trade routes when you go 100% culture.

Top Bottom