Settling on Stone/Plains/Hills

50_dollar_bag

Imitation Louis Vuitton
I just started a Monarch/Fractal/Standard/Normal 2.08 game last night and my starting position was on top of a plains/hill with stone, there were about 4 more plains hills and about 5 floodplains, there we're 2 other resources that would be in my BFC. Thinking it's not usually ther best to settle on resources i thought long a hard about moving and finally decided "F*&k it, i'm going to settle in place, the result was a 2 :food: 3:hammers: city centre square. Very nice. To top it off I was Ramses the Industrious leader of the Egyptians.

Needless to say I've bagged every stone wonder in Thebes except for Chichen Itza, and every other wonder barring the Oracle and Great Library BIDL, and Colossus and Great Lighthouse built in my best coastal city, and Versailles which was engineer rushed in another of my cities.

Why don't I ever get starts like that? :(

The closest I ever came to that was a plains hill surrounded by grassland riverside and flood plains tiles. Oh, and a gold mine. I was Victoria, so I started with mining to get the gold going early. Awesome early production, research, and happiness. :goodjob:

My settler was on wine next to a river. He was surrounded by hills, forest and coast so i couldnt move without wasting turn. I decided to settle on the wine. My city centre now produces 3 commerce (im financial) Thats a huge help to early research.

Here's the easy way to tell: Look at the raw unimproved production of the tile (disregarding the feature on it, e.g. floodplain, jungle, forest, because these are removed when you settle). Compare the three values -- food, production, commerce -- to a standard city's 2/1/1; any numbers exceeding these values will remain if you settle there.

For instance, settling on a grassland banana (3/0/0-1) will give you a 3/1/1 city. But a floodplain (for the same 3/0/1) only gives a standard 2/1/1 city like any regular desert, because the floodplain is erased when you build your city.

In the same way, a regular plainshill (0/2/0) doubles your hammers to 2/2/1, and if there's a production resource (like stone) on it, it jumps to 2/3/1 -- a huge bonus if it's your first settlement.

The only "blue circle" suggestion that really gets my goat, is settling on top of a "gold mine"......which the AI seems to love doing on a regular basis, when settling one square either way will leave it workable almost immediately...it's a criminal waste of income in the very early days, when commerce is oh so important.

I don't give plains hills very high priority for settling on except for my first city. Your first city is stuck with unimproved tiles at first so that extra hammer in the city tile makes a big difference. In every other city I make my choice based on the what the city resources will be after border expansion and after all possible improvements have been made. The only exception to this that I make is for strategic resources that I can't afford to wait for a border expansion to get.

I don't have any particular objection to founding on a special resource if that gives me the best city location but otherwise I would prefer not to.

Top Bottom