SGL Pops up in GA!! Yahoo!!!

Capt Cook

Chieftain
I'm playing the Mongols on regent & I just had an SGL pop up in my capitol on the last few tuns of my GA! Very exciting!! He just appeared there with no alert of any kind.
I used him to Hurry Leonardos workshop so I could upgrade my Pikeman to Musketmen & get ready for the inevitable invasion I forsee as coming. Just a hunch but the Celts & Americans have been acting weird lately.
I sure hope they invade now & don't wait too long!

That's a lot of money wasted on muskets a fairly useless unit. Why not build Knights (defense of 3) and upgrade those to Cavs?

Wait, did you says: "they invade?"
Shouldn't that be: "invade them?"

I had an SGL pop up in my golden age and I managed to grab all the middle ages wonders except for Sistine Chapel and Shakespeare's theater!

That's a lot of money wasted on muskets a fairly useless unit. Why not build Knights (defense of 3) and upgrade those to Cavs?

I'm building Keshiks, best mongol horseman at this time & I can upgrade them to cav's later.
I'm setting up for defense because of the aggression of the Americans towards me & the fact that the Celts are very aggresive anyway. As soon as I finish researching chemisrty to get to cannons I plan on clearing my continent of opposition. This will put me up against a possible 3 opponents at once.
I am really trying for a cultural victory, never had one before so I thought I'd try it.

Wait, did you says: "they invade?"
Shouldn't that be: "invade them?"

No...if you read all of the post (I don't mean his sarcastically), he says "inevitable invasion I forsee as coming". Sounds like used Leonardo's to upgrade this defense in preparation, and he doesn't want it to go to waste.

SGL's only spawn when you are the first to discover a tech. Is it possible that you had just finished researching something the same turn he appeared?

I've had SGL's appear without notification, but it's always in a "free tech" situation.

I did just get education for free from the Great Library. I don't remember if it was that turn but it very well could have been.

BTW, I did get attacked but it was by the Aztecs. They attacked my 2 cities on their continent. Darn good thing I upgraded some of those units ahead of time. I also took out all their outlying cities on another small Continent to the north so now that small Continent is mostly mine.
I'll sue for peace as soon as I take over an island between our 2 continents. It will make a great staging area for an invasion later.

I don't know why but... I never get SGL's! I'm nearly always the first to research a technology, and I was playing Greece (Scientific) for a whole game and never got one. And the last one I had was, like, 10 games ago! I suppose its just luck if you get one.... Which i seem to have hardly any of.

I did just get education for free from the Great Library. I don't remember if it was that turn but it very well could have been.

But you could not have gotten an SGL from a tech obtained through the Great Library. (If that's what you're saying.) The Great Library only gives you techs known to 2 other civs with whom you have contact and SGLs are only possible if you are the first to research a tech. So if you got the tech through the Great Library, you could not have been the first to research it.

Do you have a save of when it happened? I think it would be beneficial to look into this, if only to explain to you laboriously and precisely as to why you got the SGL.

Call me old fashioned, but the more work it requires, the more I want to investigate!

in a regent game playing the sumerians, i collected six SGLs by the end of the modern ages when i launched my SS. i always kept them if i have to rush wonders, but the AI's were so low on tech so i forgot that they exist :) what a waste really :)

I've had this happen with Invention, just as I switch to produce Leonardo's, I think there is a better chance with scientific trait leaders. I think it also happened with Mathematics, I used the SGL to increase science production and that triggered a Scientific GA.

I've had this happen with Invention, just as I switch to produce Leonardo's, I think there is a better chance with scientific trait leaders. I think it also happened with Mathematics, I used the SGL to increase science production and that triggered a Scientific GA.

Never do that. You just wasted a SGL if you trigger a Scientific GA. It doesn't work.

Why not, game bug? I must admit I didnt really notice any huge difference.

If you choose to use him to start a science age, then you will notice the turns for a certain technology decreases. However, the next turn it will stay the same and then again and again. So don't use your scientific leader to start a science age. Here's what I mean:

Researching Mass Production (8) turns. Science age started. Mass Production Decreased to 6 turns.

Next turn. Mass production (6) turns.

Next turn 5 turns.

Next turn 5 turns.

next turn 4 turns.

etc etc. So it doesn't actually give you any benefit if you start an age of science. Basically a waste of a good scientific leader.

So use your science leader to hurry wonders. Scientific leaders are pretty rare, and I only got one before in my whole C3C time, which is only about 3 months ago.

Yes, it's a bug. You will see the "number of turns to research" go down, but if you actually count the turns there is no reduction.

edit: cross-post.

Top Bottom