SGOTM 02 - VQ Red

GreyFox said:
That is like 30 tiles away :eek:-

Then that should mean a maintenance cost of -6 (confirmed by this thread)

Founding right away would take Hunting to 7turns, but we would have to drop to 60% science to break even meaning the actual figure is 11 turns (and remember the upkeep increases when Tokyo hits size 2).

lurker's comment:
Er, guys: it's a Fractal Map. That means it wraps. That means it's closer if you count going the opposite direction. I estimate that it's 10.

EDIT: Although the map hasn't been centered yet :hmm: maybe it's wider around than it looks?

ChrTh said:
Although the map hasn't been centered yet :hmm: maybe it's wider around than it looks?

I think so. I don't know whether it is the case with fractal, but according to Sirian's map guide the standard-sized Balanced, Islands, Archipelago, and Continents maps are 84 plots wide.

EDIT: of course this also assumes that the description we have been given actually matches the map we are playing...

GreyFox said:
I would suggest, if we want to move the settler for scouting instead of settling immediately, that we move the settler westward, so that we close the gap between Kyoto and Tokyo.
:clap: :thumbsup: ... and give praise and thanx to the old Fox. For he does marvelous reconstruction work. :D

I'm going to play my broken record one last time for each team:

First post in this thread said:
Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

Anything I post there will NOT be repeated individually in every team thread. You may even find some useful information there now :p

AlanH, it's two - oh hold it - respectively one a clock in the morning ... and you're still working here?

:worship:

AlanH said:
I'm going to play my broken record one last time for each team:

First post in this thread said:
Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

Anything I post there will NOT be repeated individually in every team thread. You may even find some useful information there now :p

I think you referenced the "Reference Thread" instead of the "Maintenance Thread", Alan .... Heh, this suggest that perhaps working at 1AM is not so good afterall :lol:

-

You are correct. However, I think you take my point?

@ChrTh: It will be wider, minimap scales dynamically according to the known world by the player. I don't think the map is smaller than 50 tiles wide.

And, of-course, all these are moot:

AlanH from Maintenance Thread said:
Some late breaking news about your game:

1. We now know that there are seven rivals on the map (not including the barbs).

2. Much pixel-counting effort has been expended to try to work out the distance between Kyoto and the settler. To settle the debates, and to help your strategy discussions move forward, we'll divulge that the second city, if built where the settler stands, would cost 7 gpt in maintenance.

Nah! A failure of my sense of humour, not yours, in the face of 20 posts to edit :rolleyes:

GreyFox said:
Lurker
VQ-Red calling Codeman ... please report to the SGOTM2 thread and start spamming it. We have to thrash the blackies in terms of number of posts!!!! :lol:

reporting for duty, sir!:salute:

Good, everybody has posted now ... all we need is to wait for the save ... :sad:

What do everybody think of moving the settler westward to reduce the maintenance cost?

Hmmmm ... under the pretense that all moderators are evil (okay ... maybe not all, only Gythaar :D) ... I predict a ultra-super-duper agressive AI civ is just west of our settler.

i vote yes to exploring. more info is needed. anything else i could say has been said.

do we know for sure maint would be lower west and not east? could someoone explain more of why on a round (globe) it would be closer to go west?

Because we made the following assumptions (which are well-founded I think):
- based on my pixel-counting effort, we are 30 tiles away
- a standard map is usually 80 tiles wide

So if Kyoto is 30 tiles west of settler, it must be close to 50 tiles east of settler. So, Kyoto is closer westward rather than eastward.

--

okay. if it's a standard map and that 80, then i agree. but i also agree it's assumption, though i agree well founded as well.

that settled, we are closer west than east. let it be written! we have spoken-er written. :)

That leave us the daunting question of how are we going to surpass those other threads in terms of pure post count if all the strategy we can talk about has been settled :mischief:

Let's examine the roster :)

Maquis (Leader) -- North America
GreyFox -- Asia
Scowler (Scribe) -- Europe
Codeman -- North America
armstrong (Yet to Report) -- North America
Krockel -- Europe

Of-course our official lurker dot is from Europe as well.

I would suggest a swap between Scowler and Codeman to interleave players according to continent.

--

A nice mix of nationality in our roster. Nice! :)

Get -7 from founding Tokyo is just nasty. We need to move as far westward as possible to cut that cost. Preferebly we could settle next to a forrested plain hill and work that to avoid reaching size 2. But that's kind of defensive!

Hello there ... does anyone know what has happend to armstrong ... he hasn't shown up since two days in VQ07 and VQ08. Neither has he shown up around here yet. :scared:

@GreyFox: Thanks for mentioning the lurker as well!

As for the lack of discussion:
an earlier . said:
I'd say do some of brainstorming and discussing until the save is up. By then let everybody have a close look at it. Oh ... maybe a second look at it? - OK. - Now let's do some of brainstorming and discussing. :D

@AlanH (post #27 in this thread): :rolleyes: Obviously ... :lol: ;)

Regards to all, .

Top Bottom