SGOTM 03 - Short Straw

Congrats guys! Can't believe it either, we tie for bronze and decide to simply merge the teams. Very strong game, good conquests. You were a bit behind on the diplomacy front, too bad you didn't find out about Ori's spreadsheet earlier in the game.

Congrats guys! Can't believe it either, we tie for bronze and decide to simply merge the teams. Very strong game, good conquests. You were a bit behind on the diplomacy front, too bad you didn't find out about Ori's spreadsheet earlier in the game.
thx. Yeah something bizarrely appropriate about merging the teams and then the tie.

I hope you guys who aren't playing will consider lurking over there unless you have read some threads already.
Well I'll take that as an invite but I really am going to try and take a civ break. Not sure how long that lasts tho.

I thought we played a pretty good game. I thought we were out of the running for medals when Alex attacked us--that really set us back a lot. Mao building the pyramids and lighthouse was just an incredible stroke of luck that got us back in the running I think.

I think a better strategy would have involved more diplomatic planning. Deciding early who the allies were going to be based on leader personalities and religion also taking into account the civics. Then spam missionaries to convert our targets to the faith.

Also might have made sense to try for the pyramids--that might have worked poorly with Alex's attack but others seem to have built it and was huge with the phil.

Be careful trading to avoid the "traded with my worst enemy" penalties--that might have meant avoiding all those early OB that got us so many contacts and waiting for caravels to get them.

This was a fun game, and as usual I learned a lot. It was fun playing with you all (well actually all but one but you guys know that).

Mushroom, RTB, llib--good luck with your new teammates! GO team One Short Straw!

Grogs and LMTOOPS take care and hope our paths cross again.

ungy said:
I thought we played a pretty good game. I thought we were out of the running for medals when Alex attacked us--that really set us back a lot. Mao building the pyramids and lighthouse was just an incredible stroke of luck that got us back in the running I think.

We had some good luck and some bad luck, no doubt about it, but that happens in nearly every game. The best players out there, the ones whose names show up on the medals of GOTM game after GOTM game, are able to roll with the punches and win no matter what lady luck throws their way. We've got several players that are close to that level and I think we did a pretty good job of taking advantage of the good luck aspects (Beijing) and minimizing the damage from the bad luck (Alex) and ending up with a pretty decent victory time.

Thanks, Team One. Not sure finding the SS earlier would have made much of a difference since most of us were operating under the assumption that skull-thumping the world and stealing their votes would be faster than playing nice. We really only came to the conclusion that we might get some other people's votes pretty late in the game, so if we had known about the SS earlier, it probably would have just meant a few more turns of biting our nails at the end. :lol: You guys (and especially the CFR's) showed that a 'true' Diplo victory was not only possible, but judging by the 2 CFR teams' results, faster. That's the great thing about (S)GOTM's, you get to compare games and see which strategies work better.

The tie thing is definitely pretty cool considering that our two teams have merged, at least for SGOTM4. I'm still trying to figure out how you miscounted the turns when you said our next vote wasn't until 1568 though. You were right that you guys were guaranteed the bronze laurels, just not solo bronze laurels. :lol:

mushroomshirt said:
I figured we would be out of the running for sure after Alex declared on us early on. Kind of appropriate that we tied team one since we are the same team now in SGOTM4! I hope you guys who aren't playing will consider lurking over there unless you have read some threads already.

Thanks, I haven't looked at any of the SGOTM4 threads, so I'll try to keep an eye on Team OSS thread and maybe pop in from time-to-time with a comment, assuming none of the Team One players in the mix have a problem with it.

ungy said:
Mushroom, RTB, llib--good luck with your new teammates! GO team One Short Straw!

Grogs and LMTOOPS take care and hope our paths cross again.

Thanks. It's been a pleasure playing with you all and I'll keep an eye out for you on future sign-up threads. What I'm thinking I may do is lurk the Team OSS SGOTM4 thread a bit, sit out SGOTM5 (the next vanilla one) and then throw my hat back into the ring officially for SGOTM6 (the next Warlords.) I'm not playing a lot of Civ4 right now, so I'd like to just stick to one version to avoid confusion. Anyway, no matter what happens, I hope to run into you all again.

Congrats to Short Straw for the bronze tie. :goodjob: We have a bronze tie in Vanilla too! :eek: What are the odds? :lol: Gypsy Kings and Memphis Blues. GK had the bronze in the clubhouse, sweating out MB. Sound familar, Team One? :D

Now that you have merged, you will be even more fomidable! :eek: But SGOTM 4 is about who can lose the best, so who knows?

dV of Gypsy Kings

Congraulations on a fine finish! da Vinci is jumping to conclusions about your Bronze. You may get tin Silver!

Good job on beating our Vanilla date. :goodjob: Guess that proves Warlords is easier... :p

Congraulations on a fine finish! da Vinci is jumping to conclusions about your Bronze. You may get tin Silver!
OOPS! ... guess I am not following warlords close enough. Just went with what I was reading ... I guess it's tied for AT LEAST bronze? Time for a close look ...

dV

:trophy2nd: Looks like we accomplished our goal of getting a laurel this time around! We are in good company with team one and peanut. :trophy2nd:

Great playing with everyone again!

Top Bottom