SGOTM 04 - Geezers

I'm sorry guys but I am going to have to withdraw before getting started :sad:

RL and a change of priorities means I wont be seeing much of civ (death of a close friend can be a powerful change in one's priorities)

:beer:

RL and a change of priorities means I wont be seeing much of civ (death of a close friend can be a powerful change in one's priorities)

Sorry to hear that Andronicus. :sad: You have my sympathy and condolences for the loss of your friend.

Btw it would help AlanH if you post your withdrawal in the signup thread as he's unlikely to be monitoring this thread.

:beer:

I'm very sorry to hear your news, too, Andronicus.
Real life doesn't get much more real than that.
Catch you around here in the future, hopefully.

I am very sorry to hear this, Andronicus. You have my condolences for the loss. You are always welcome back once you are in the mood.

Team Updates again:

CRC lost to Gandhi in 1891
Murky Waters lost to Gandhi in 1947

One Short Straw is in 1850 and is attempting to rush build the Space Elevator for Gandhi
VQ is in 1909, Brennus is short 2 parts from winning
Fistful of Dynamite won't lose to Gandhi, and are considering whether they should win by domination or by time...it is 1975 there
Peanuts is in 1652 and just giving up land to Gandhi...meanwhile, the Mongols are the power and score leaders?

Fifth Element lost to Hannibal in 1953
Trash Team lost a time victory to Gandhi
XTeam won a time victory, and eliminated Izzy by culture flipping her capital!! I didn't know that was possible!
Chokonuts was conquered by Gandhi in 1926...they did what we considered doing...going off on a little island, playing OCC, and hoping to last until someone launched
CDZ quit
Real Ms. Beyond quit
Smurkz quit

Only 4 teams left, One Short Straw and Peanuts are the only teams I expect to have a shot at getting Gandhi to launch first...although Peanuts are in a pretty bad spot to do that.

Thanks for the update Thrallia. :goodjob:

I really do wonder why Ghandhi was so hell bent on war rather than science. :confused: Perhaps his aggression was modded in to make the game more challenging or maybe this is just a side effect of being always at war with us. :dunno:

I think we did not have a high enough power rating. I believe if we would have been number one in power he would have not concentrated on military that much, but leaving the planet.

I think we did not have a high enough power rating. I believe if we would have been number one in power he would have not concentrated on military that much, but leaving the planet.

You could well be right mark. Mind you I seem to recall Ghandhi being number one in power (stupid misleading power screen :mad: ) for an awfully long time during the game. IIRC it wasn't until the 1500s or maybe even later that one of the other AIs (Hanny?) overtook him. So we would still have had lots of problems with Ghandhi attacking us.

I suppose if we had decided to wipe out Ghandhi's opposition, starting with Hanny, we might have gone up in power earlier. However I seem to recall that one of the reasons we went for Brennus was because Hanny was so 'powerful' and also had Washy as vassal.

Perhaps the real lesson of the game is that SGOTMs are designed to be difficult. I suspect we assumed that Ghandhi teching for space was a sure bet and made our plans on that basis. Something to bear in mind for the next game.

I see we have two new players for the next game: pariah and drhirsch.

Yes!
A welcome to the two newest members of team Geezers, if they happen to stop by this thread. Otherwise we can give them an official welcome in about 12 hours when we get our own thread for the new game.

With new recruits arriving, I'm beginning to feel more like an old timer. (Of course I feel like an old timer! What am I thinking!)

On another track, I just got BTS today. I'll have to check carefully the version conditions for starting this SGOTM. Are they decided yet?

Yes!
I'll have to check carefully the version conditions for starting this SGOTM. Are they decided yet?

I believe the pre-SGOTM05 thread said that we would be using vanilla version 1.74 which is why the game start was delayed. However you may want to have a dual install of vanilla for other games such as HOF or GOTM if you play those. I believe there's a post in the GOTM forum about that.

It's all far too confusing. I'm not loading up anything until I know I can do everything with it. I'm not going to bugger around with dual installations or anything whacky like that.

This may be my last post with you guys till after SGOTM5...but if you haven't finished GOTM20 or WOTM11, then I'd wait to install BtS until you do.

If you've finished them, then there's no reason not to go ahead and install BtS, as it will update Vanilla to 1.74(and Warlords to 2.13, I guess?) automatically, and GOTM21 and WOTM12, and SGOTM5 will all be requiring the new patches be installed.

Top Bottom