SGOTM 04 - Geezers

Ahhh, so that was why I couldn't find Banking...for some reason I assumed banking was required for Guilds, not vice-versa.

I always seem to forget that...its why I tend to run into cash flow problems in the mid game...I never research Guilds because I don't care about Knights that much(spears and pikes are way too common among the AI by that time), and remember too late that banking is past guilds.

As for Gandhi's caravels...they are actually in about the same spot they were before I started exploring Gandhi's territory...they chased down my trireme just past Karachi...its a shame that he could shortcut through the city and I couldn't, or he never would have caught it :evil: +1 movement for our boats is definitely nice...its a shame we lost out on circumnavigation...5 move caravels and 6 move galleons are awesome!

as for the city site...I liked mine because it has good production and commerce...gold is always a nice thing to have, and horses help with production...remember, the biggest limiting factor for the AI in a space race tends to be production, not commerce...we need Gandhi to have so many good production cities that even if he makes stupid choices for part builds, they'll build pretty fast(although we may need to take and raze a few tiny cities that he stupidly builds a part in!)

We need to find some real friends somewhere!

Short of getting religion I can't see that happening. Even then the AI acts in it's own interest. However I think it's more a case of power, lots of gold and spies that we need. That way we have a better chance of crippling any adversaries that might attack , out produce or out tech Gandhi.

That's an interesting suggestion you made in the maintenance thread, Thrallia. Although it may not help you in the popularity stakes. ;) However it's not so much the spoiler as the end game write up that's really needed. However I do agree that more spoiler write ups would be nice.

We'll definitely want to prioritize getting spies once we get closer to the modern age.

Re Spoilers: I'm not so much worried about the midgame spoilers as the endgame ones. I like the midgame ones, but understand why people would be hesitant to post one...but there were ZERO post-game spoilers, which I feel shouldn't have happened. Obviously, that means we didn't have one either, but still...22 teams, 19 of which finished, and no one did a spoiler :(

I think requiring at least an endgame one to get a set of laurels would help.

Got it. Everything looks good. Who ever chose Astro........:bowdown: Excellent choice. Sorry we lost the Trireme Thralia, but they won't catch our Caravals. BTW. we should send boats in pairs in to Gandhi's terratory.

Plan: Zig zag the two existing caravals east to find the two missing links. Build more Caravals and Zerks as become available. Just thinking. Would it not be great if the two missing civs are immidiately to east of us and backwards? Maintain tech pace through beg burrow or steal.

Yeah...lets talk about steal part of it. We have the forces, we need a west coast city. so why not annex old Sarai? We will most likely get close to 200 gold in the process. We have 4 cats (3 fairly close) and bunch of nice axes, swords and maces. As far as we have crossbowman, we have nothing to worry about Hannies UU's. Heck if my poor immortals can take on the Longbowmen, Zerks should rip them into pieces. Just instigating. Since I originally liked Kahns new city site, all I would do is capture the workers and let it grow to 2 and then capture it for keeps. Please comment on this madness.

We are just about to loose 2 forest tiles from ElDo. I will chop those 2 for the forge and what ever.

We should hire another scientist in Yayoi next turn.

Ning H. and Barb city need culture very badly. 3 and good food sources are being wasted for each. Perhaps we might be able to rush courthouses asap and start a Lib.

I can play tomorrow.

We've also got some Zerks built already that could easily dispatch the LBs in Old Sarai...also, if I recall, Khan had at least 6 workers in there last time we looked, so he may have at least 2 more there that we could get when we capture the city.

Why do we need a west coast city?

Astronomy rules.

Because it takes ages for any vessel on the east coast to get round to the west? :mischief:

Because every time we've tried to go around our continent from east to west, we've had the ship destroyed by pirates or Indians...weird, sounds like the 1500s. lol

Guess what Sanchu has a lot of? :evil: Four workers for the cost of 1 Gpt sounds like a good bargain to me. The big downside is that Hannibal really, really likes his bosom buddy Genghis. :cry: So Hannibal is likely to go to war with us if we attack Genghis which makes the workers rather more expensive. OTOH Genghis probably wants that spot so that he can get the horses to attack us again. If we do go to war then it may be worth changing to Police State to reduce WW this time. We'll also have to watch out for Ghandhi attacking us again. Thoughts?

Sorry Sam, I missed this. So you too feel the need. Great. Also Thrallia seem to encourage it. So how does the other 3+1 feel about it?;)

I will play up to the point of gathering the forces in our own areas and check to see if all is OK with it. As I see I won't be the one to knock on Old Sarai. But oh well. :sad: :p I would keep our main city taking team a tile behind the bombardment team if they have cats and only move in at the turn before.

I am on turn 6 and an opportunity came up. Kahn trained a settler and it left Sanchu with the cat. So Sanchu is defended by a single LB and a worker, and we have a Zerk, cat and a spear near to DOW next turn and the garrison at Gem City to DoW now. One of our axe is next to the cat and settler and another Zerk and a cat is also nearby.

I say we hit him next turn using the zerk. But I am tired now, so it will need to happen tomorrow. Any comments? See attached drawings. BTW It took 4 turns to find the other continenet and another 2 to find Izzy's portion of the continent. It look very promising with Zerks. I won't post a save......Oh well.....here it is.

EDIT: I like to keep the city for all the river front cottage space it gives and we can replace with mills before we give it to Gandhi.

We have the army I suppose it would be a shame to waste it... :viking:

Crossposted.

Just glanced at the save and I think that all that brown is making our purple ugly. Khan has to go.

Top Bottom