SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Feb 22, 2007.

1. cabert

cabert Big mouth

leave him, hopefully he will stop building units

2. stuge

stuge Emperor

Cool. I'll put the story together next week and then post it here for review and suggestions.

And it looks like I'm up. This weekend will be rather busy but I guess I could get a report done by Monday.

3. remconius

remconius Deity

Dont forget we need to teach him the art of war. Taking his city should make him angry, then he'll take our cities and get more powerful. WE can hide away in a small settlement somewhere.

4. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Pigswill, is this roster right?
    • stuge {Up now}
    • cabert {Up soon}
    • MrMahk
    • Cam_H
    • Patagonia
    • pigswill
    • remconius
    Stuge,

Looking forward to your report! :)

5. stuge

stuge Emperor

And that is to be hysterically joyful when a city of yours is captured.

In my first turns the nicely set up worker bait enticed one of Gandhi's maces towards Haithabu.

Ohmygosh ohmygosh, will he... will he... ...

YES! He bites. :dance:

Gotta hope that this mindset doesn't follow into other games.

We got a great engineer in Carthage. I was absolutely clueless as to what to do with him, so he's now sleeping in Edirne. Perhaps we should aquire plastics and build the Three gorges dam in Nidaros for Gandhi to hopefully capture.

We're now dancing to the tune of "I believe I can fly." I picked radio as next tech, to enable bombers and see when Brennus get computers, which is just before robotics for mechanized infantry.

Speaking of Brennus, he decided to get frisky:

Hey, don't blame us for your problems with her, dude.

I turned her down, thinking: "We don't need distractions right now." And then I regretted it immediately. We could really do with Istanbul free of Konya's culture. Oh well...

Other intresting international developments:

Santiago once stood where that tank stands now. Brennus and Izzy made peace soon after. Izzy also made peace with Mehmed. We may want to pounce on Brennus and Mehmed quite soon, before they can recover and replenish their armies.

Here's the save.

6. cabert

cabert Big mouth

got it!

Didn't check everything, but it seems we have what it takes for a massive rush of units.

What I suggest :
    - teching to radio (duh! 3 turns left without using our gold)
    - building workers for further luring of gandhi
    - $ rushing forges all alround the place (we have gold, silver and gems!!, I can't believe this isn't done yet)
    - using the GE for mount rushmore (!!!). Didn't see the guy, but it would help a lot.
    - starting bombers in every single city.
    - $ rushing them in low hammers city
    - hitting brennus in the next turnset or at the end of mine

I'll play tomorrow, either as I just put it or following any good suggestion that may come.

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Cam_H; rota looks about right.

cabert: let's bomb Brennus (and pinch kremlin!).

8. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Guys, this is getting painful. I played one turn then alt-tabbed to take notes and the game crashed.
    Too bad, gandhi just took carthage where I put fishing nets.

I noticed that everytime I install a lod a different HoF mod, my settings are reset and my autosave interval is lost.
    Luckily, I have a save from the beginnig of the turn. I'll do a short report with hand written notes to avoid alt-tabbing.
    If it keeps crashing, I'll give up on this game.

9. cabert

cabert Big mouth

report, no more crash (after the 1882 one, for which I had an autosave)

1880 : did as I said I would. So I toured all our cities.

1881 : another tour of cities to rush those things I said I would (forges!) + others I felt were necessary (happiness, health, culture in istanbul)

1882 gandhi captures carthage. Mount rushmore done.

1883 : radio in. I start computers, with 0% science. Airport in Nidaros (! we want reinforcements!). Another tour of our cities, starting 16 bombers + another set in queue. I used up a good deal of our money to keep cities happy (markets) and healthy (grocers), so we're making quite some cash at 80% gold.

1884 : shopped around. money? no problem

1885 : first set of bombers in salamanca. Landed defensive units in spain, offensive units too, but on the "enemy" borders.

1886 : war! 4 out of 6 bombers intercepted :(. Still 1 less celtic city.
    Verlamion is captured. I put all those CG infantry there, hoping brennus counterattacks there and gets hurt. Another round of bomber shopping.

1887 : another celtic city disappeared. another set of bombers appeared.
    Isabella helped us out (200 gold) because, her, hum, well, she's nuts? Then again, I was nuts enough to ask her.
    At this point, I think brennus won't ever be a threat again.

1888 : Brennus has tanks and uses them. I make him pay by destroying another city (nemetonna was size 18 and well placed, but we don't want to dominate the world do we?)

1889 : I keep Tolosa. We need another base for our bombers.
    I plunder an offshore platform, then realize brennus has loads of oil all over the place.
    We have some happiness issues. I $ rush GT in washington + jails in some other places.

1890 : Gandhi completes apollo! [party]
    Vienne burns.

1891 : did I mention Brennus isn't going to be a threat? He just razed our capital (he sneaked in from gandhi's land).. Should have looked better, sorry guys.

1892 : I got us another capital. The kremlin suits us better anyway :p.
    On the home front, i rush a few gunships. I must say that the withdrawal of our capital helps gandhi (no more cultural pressure).
    There is a great merchant going for a boat in istanbul, direction = spain.

1893 : no more celts in old vinland. 1 less celtic city. Brennus doesn't want to talk. what a stubborn guy :lol:. Gandhi isn't going to win in the next 20 turns (casings due in 21 in madras).

1894 : gandhi is walking towards phrygian!
    trade mission for 3750 gold. I buy us an oxford university in tiflis, and a fresh airport.
    I shop around for health and happiness buildings.

1895 : started bombing then realized you guys wanted to play with our buddy brennus too.:mischief:

the save

10. stuge

stuge Emperor

Got greedy, eh? 15 turns -shame on you. ;)

Shucks about Nidaros but it doesn't matter much. If Gandhi builds a city there it'll be size ten in the time it would have taken Nidaros to come out of revolt.

11. cabert

cabert Big mouth

right!
    don't we all play 15 turns?:mischief:

It will make up for the short rnds I made earlier :p.

12. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Just as long as we're happy (and Gandhi is building a spaceship).

13. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I was considering the opportunity to kill brennus completely or to squeeze some techs out of him.
    What do you say?

14. patagonia

patagonia Emperor

Pointy-stick research is good if possible (Mehmed would capitulate at the start of my set, but wouldn't part with any knowledge whatsoever). I'd be inclined to leave Brennus alive but crippled like his Ottoman counterpart, since Gandhi might be able to get some use from him in the future.

15. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Got it, took a quick look at the save, and will play tomorrow.

Nice job in the war, Cabert. We could easily finish Brennus off, but I agree with Patagonia and would prefer to just sign peace, get some techs, and leave him with those 2 cities to knock him out of contention for space but leave him in a position where he is still be able to help Gandhi.

Gandhi's only real threat as of now (besides us!) is Isabella. I will keep my eye on her and prepare for the war we will have to fight against her eventually.

16. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Since Brennus wouldn't talk right now, I suggest the following:
    - keep hurting brennus if needed (pillaging!)
    - asap sue for peace, including a switch stupid civic (vassalage is a lot less good than free speech!) if available (I don't think so)

after the war (should be fast now, it's 9 turns since I declared), we can keep $rushing things for a while, before going full speed into science.

edit : brennus is spiritual, it won't hurt him a lot to switch to suboptimal civic then go back to the real one.

17. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Ugh. I just played the first few turns and then it crashed. I have an autosave from the turn before it crashed (I started my set in 1895 and have a save from 1898, it crashed in 1899), but I do not know whether I should use that or start from the beginning of the set and I don't want to get us disqualified or anything. Anyone know what I should do?

Edit: I will also say that nothing eventful/unexpected happened in those few turns that might not occur if I reload from the first save.

18. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Mark, I believe that the standard practice is to contact AlanH and explain your predicament.

Good work Cabert! :thumbsup:

19. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Ok, I just sent the PM, thanks Cam.

As a first-time player I just don't want to do something stupid and get us into trouble, especially this late into the game. :)

20. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Ooookay, it has crashed on me 3 additional times. I have a save from 1900AD, so I think I'll just leave it there and let the next person take it (it's on a nice even number anyway :D)

In 1895, Brennus still wouldn't talk, so I pillaged just about every tile of his. He would talk next turn, and would capitulate but the only tech he would give up was Divine Right. So I took peace, DR (might as well pad the score!), his gold (~500), and I had him switch to Free Speech from Bureaucracy, thinking the former would be of less use to him.

Gandhi has been coming along, I believe he took a city in ex-Carthage and he landed a stack of about 8 units on the northern tip of our mainland, they are threatening our 2 cities up there (I suppose "threatening" wouldn't be the best word as we want it to happen).

That's about it, the troops are moving into position, I beefed up our navy and amphibious forces a bit, and everybody would be in place by 1905 for the next player to destroy Spain, but unfortunately my compter didn't allow that.

Here is the save from 1900AD, have fun next player; it should be a "Splendid little war". (That's Teddy Roosevelt talking about how easily we won the Spanish-American War, I figure it's also going to be pretty relevant in our case)