SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

Playing now:

Mehmed's being annoying. He'll offer to capitulate, but won't cough up any techs in exchange for a straightforward peace treaty. Since there's little reason to press on with the war now, a ceasefire was signed.

We caught a lucky break as Brennus declared on Izzy the following turn. Both of their power graphs have taken a big hit and there's been a fair bit of pillaging around Madrid to slow research. Izzy's still at war with Mehmed too (and has pillaged him back to the stone age), but Mehmed hasn't capitulated to anyone.

I've been focusing on assembling two naval SoDs, one in Edirne to take care of the west coast of Spain/Celtia and another in Izmir to take care of the east coast (ferrying units from either Nidaros or Old Sarai on the mainland). Some units are still on "goto" shuttling between those destinations.

Fascism was researched @20% and I've set Mount Rushmore to build in Haithabu. I've left research on and set to refrigeration in case we want the +1 to ship movement that'll bring. Gandhi's made a couple of worker-killing raids with SAMs, but hasn't tried to pillage or take any cities despite my baiting. I've sunk a few Indian frigates as they were attempting to pillage our nets, but otherwise things have been quiet.

Savegame

Got it. Had a look. Gandhi is picking up, not only second in GNP but thanks to Spain/Celt war also second in power. But is he invading?

Mind you,our power chart is looking quite respectable.

Annihilate Mehmed, annihilate Brennus then turn on our ally Isabella.

I'll play tomorrow. Ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Got it. Had a look. Gandhi is picking up, not only second in GNP but thanks to Spain/Celt war also second in power. But is he invading?

Mind you,our power chart is looking quite respectable.

Annihilate Mehmed, annihilate Brennus then turn on our ally Isabella.

I'll play tomorrow. Ideas and suggestions are always welcome.
In terms of helping Gandhi to the earliest win possible, we should lay off the warring for a while. The more civs that know a tech, the cheaper it'll be for Gandhi to research himself and he's a way behind in that respect. Brennus is also his best buddy and thus warrants a stay of execution for now.

Brennus and Isabella are doing a good job of crippling each other with this war and we can probably bribe them into another one at some point. I'm pretty sure they're both researching flight which will up the pillaging ante immensely and do even more damage.

I think the best option for the time being is to continue assembling SoDs ready to stomp on whoever starts researching robotics first. We've currently got one spy in Spain, another in transit and a third intended for the stump of Mehmed's territory just in case he's still got any kind of teching ability (which I doubt).

Edit:
In case I forgot to mention earlier, I settled our GG in Nidaros (IW city) to produce veteran land/sea units quickly.

Plan B:
Abandon the New World; retreat all units to Greater Scandinavia; upgrade units, maybe resume teching, MI would be nice, bombers would also be nice.

Plan B:
Abandon the New World; retreat all units to Greater Scandinavia; upgrade units, maybe resume teching, MI would be nice, bombers would also be nice.
Not really necessary.

As long as we hit Brennus/Isabella before they get mechs we've got all the military hardware we'll ever need (both have sufficient coastal cities to make the Sirian doctrine a viable option throughout the modern era rendering air support pointless), and abandoning the new world is only worth it if Gandhi actually takes cities. He's just as likely to do that in the old country as anywhere, so we should let him advance wherever we can encourage him to do so and withdraw accordingly.

Of course, once we've got a couple of immense SoDs assembled, there's no harm in turning research back on. There are only so many thousands of gold you can accumulate before that gets a bit pointless.

The only gambit we haven't considered that might be worthwhile is to build the internet and try to get Gandhi to capture it, but we've had such little luck enticing him to attack anywhere, much less in one specific location, that I'm not convinced it'll actually be worthwhile.

Played 7 turns up to 1860.

Upgraded old units to infantry.

Building a bunch of battleships coz I'm fed up with nets being pillaged.

Renamed amphib units as 'vikings'.

Abandonned Jelling, Birka, Carthage and Boston but Gandhi's not playing ball.

Considering a raid on Bibracte, contains Kremlin. Brennus is in second place, he and Mehmed are at war with Isabella.

Here's a save:http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm4/Trash_Team_SG004_AD1860_01.CivWarlordsSave

There's a bunch of amphib troops and a bunch of tanks in the oceans west of Celtia.They could be recalled to base or moved just offshore of Bibracte in case we decide to attack. We also have decent stacks in the Ottoman empire.

Gandi's power is climbing so he might get adventurous. Our forces in the homeland are a bit weak. I rushed a few battleships in my last turn, they need moving to protect our fishing grounds (and provide a defensive cordon around the island).

Remconius is UP

stuge is on deck.

Save is in post #729.

hey guys, do we try to write a spoiler?
Pigswill, our beloved captain did a great job for SGotM3, I suggest he tries something for this one too.

edit : I was checking the power graphs/score graphs/ save dates/forum dates for our competitors.
I just noticed that the real Ms. beyhond team didn't post anything after 3rd of may, and the last official save is from the 22th of april. Either they gave up on this game or their gandhi flew away in the mid 18th century.

Suggestion noted and under consideration.

All volunteers welcome!

I was checking the power graphs/score graphs/ save dates/forum dates for our competitors.
I just noticed that the real Ms. beyhond team didn't post anything after 3rd of may, and the last official save is from the 22th of april. Either they gave up on this game or their gandhi flew away in the mid 18th century.

The suspension... :hide:

I'll have all the time in the world after school ends for the summer tomorrow. I suppose I could knock something spoilerish up.

what do you mean?
we don't want to cheat, I just expressed some fear that others may have done better.

Yeah, and I expressed the exactly same fear. When did I say anything about cheating? :confused:

Sounds to me like stuge is our official scribe!

Played 10 non-war turns.

Spent most time moving units from our old world. We dont want to scare poor old G. And I spent time feeding G workers hoping to lure him out. With good effect, he finally bites and takes Uppsala on my last turn.

And if you guys were wondering what the old G-meister was upto:
Check out what our Spy discovered....

Spoiler :
.... his 77 units at Madras :eek: :lol:

I suggest we send an invasion force to G to take Bangalore. This will force his Monstrous SOD to head over to take it back. Being at the coast, G might send it over the channel....

THE SAVE

Top Bottom