SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Feb 22, 2007.

1. cabert

cabert Big mouth

crazy option :
    can we get isabella to switch to judaism? We could let her capture a jew city, then raze all her buddhist cities :evil:.
    It's the only situation where she would trade with gandhi.
    We should spread judaism anyway, even without the crazy option.

2. remconius

remconius Deity

Report:
    -G is building 3 thrusters (2 complete). He's on track!
    -G captured Samarkand and razed another.
    -Researched a few SS techs. Traded them to Brennus and Mehmet.
    -Declared on Isa, captured Barcelona and razed Salamanca.

THE SAVE

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Stuge is UP according to roster.

However Patagonia skipped and Cam_H played a 1 turn set so if either want to jump in before Stuge that would be ok (unless Stuge is really keen to play the next set).

4. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Had a look at the save. Gandhi is comfortably ahead of us on power and up to 32% land (we're below 40%). Maybe its time to hold on to our remaining cities in America. Maybe even fight Gandhi to protect them! Maybe even spend money on upgrading units to help kick his butt without serious casualties.

5. stuge

stuge Emperor

If patagonia or Cam want to have a go before me, go ahead. Consider this a "got it" if there's no word from those two in 24 hrs.

6. remconius

remconius Deity

I dont think we need to hold onto any cities, lets just establish a new base in Isa's lands. Or even in Brennus' former area. I'd rather see G grow a bit more, to say 50-55% so he has more productive cities and builds more parts.

7. cabert

cabert Big mouth

gandhi should win by space, not domination.
    So we need to hold a few cities ;).

8. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Couple of things worth considering:

Gandhi is building units in most of his cities, not infrastructure, so he's not really helping his research. Doesn't he grasp that his destiny lies in the stars?

While we can capture or build new cities easily enough we have to build a hunk of infrastructure which takes time. Losing a city to Gandhi also means losing a market/ library/ grocer/ university/ factory etc.

9. cabert

cabert Big mouth

not a problem if it does him good
    May I suggest $rushing labs first priority in all "wanabee lost" cities?

10. remconius

remconius Deity

Hence my comment about 50-55% he still has 10% to grow...

11. cabert

cabert Big mouth

agreed, of course
    We still need to hold 40+% of the land to ensure he doesn't take over the world (could happen if brennus, mehmed or isabella became his vassal)

12. patagonia

patagonia Emperor

I'm happy for stuge to play on. If the game gets round to me again before G launches, I'll pick up there.

13. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

:agree: ... I'm not in a position to play for several days at best anyway.

14. stuge

stuge Emperor

Update: Work has been killing me, (stupid desperate need of money) but I'll play tonight and whip the report out tomorrow. (Midsummer vacation -yay!)

15. stuge

stuge Emperor

Sigh. Despite my high hopes, I've got a grand total of *two* turns done so far. The computing-maschine and RL just aren't cooperating.

So here's the save to keep the game going, as I doubt the weekend will be any better in regards to playing.

For the next guy.

Some notes:

- Fiber optics will be done in 1 turn. I think we should just turn research down after that for good.

- I wiped out Gandhi's units in Old America. A "no further" sign for Indian troops outside Washington will be in order.

- In the Old continent, Gandhi made no further moves. Most of our troops are being evacuated. The stack from Old/New Sarai on the west coast is being moved to Ning-Hsia, where three transports await.

- Our southern stack in Spain is healing in Barcelona. The other is still outside Valencia and taking quite a lot of flak. We could make an all-out assault right now, but it'd be a do-or-die attempt. Perhaps we should just withdraw the stack and get the tanks upgraded and some SAMs in.

- Gandhi's not gonna get a lot of use out of any cities he captures, given his tendency to tear up the countryside with fighters and bombers. The AI apparently knows no better than me. Sheesh.

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Roster Update

Mr Mahk 10 turns.

Patagonia skip.

Cam_H 1 turn.

Pigswill 19 turns.

Remconius 20 turns.

Stuge 2 turns.

Cabert UP (either for 8 or 18 turns).

17. cabert

cabert Big mouth

Got it and played some (6 turns)
    Isabella is reduced to a non threat, ready to capitulate.
    I didn't take the offer, but here it is

what happened :
    1942 : Seville razed
    1944 : ironworks in NY
    1945 : mehmed finishes a casing
    1946 : another thruster for gandhi, he has all the casings and thrusters. I checked all I could, but he doesn't seem to build other parts
    1947 : another spanish city razed

I forgot at what time (1948 probably), but I captured and kept 2 more spanish cities. We don't want to leave too much room for mehmed and we're not near to the domination limit anymore.

We're suffering heavy war weariness and gandhi is really making our land look like the moon.
    I suggest :
    - taking peace with isabella. Maybe not her capitulation, but then again, if we don't open borders with her, it's not going to hurt gandhi to have her as a vassal. I don't think she would trade with him anyway.
    - stopping gandhi's advance towards washington. If we cover the land with sam infantry+mech inf+jet fighters as interceptors, we could be somewhat safe from land bombing. If it doesn't work we can take his "air city" from him.
    - letting him take what he wants in old vikingland
    - rebuilding the national wonders (no more scotland yard is bad!)
    - building stack of workers to rebuild the barren land
    - continuous $rushing in oldvinkingland

the save. Maybe our weekend warrior would play some turns?

18. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Nice turns, Cabert. I think peace w/o capitulate is the way to go here. She's not a threat for the spaceship nor to anyone else, so why waste troops and resources trying to get her land. Let's see what kind of techs we can get out of the deal though; medicine would especially be nice with the unhealthiness going around.

I agree- go ahead and take it if you'd like Cam, as I won't be able to get to it today anyway.

19. Cam_H

Cam_H Deity

Sorry guys - not this weekend. :(

Back to you Mark.

Isabella's now a Vassal of Gandhi and refuses to talk to us. She's up Fission.

Brennus 'has enough on his hands'.

I'd look at Genetics as a tech' rather than Medicine. It's a Space Ship technology and gives an instant +3:health: - but with all the plundering going on, I'm not sure how our commerce will hold up. We might consider an alternative to Universal Suffrage too.

20. MrMahk

MrMahk Warlord

Well, I played two turns. Because in 1950, this happened:

I had gone into the round thinking that it would be better off just to wipe Isabella off the map, because with two core cities she won't be able to accomplish much and would just be tying up our units and annoying us in the new world. However, now that we are eternally at war with Brennus too, I am doubting we should take out two of Gandhi's three available trading partners.

The situation is also complicated by the fact that Gandhi is really starting to shoot up there towards the domination win. If vassals' land counts towards domination (which is how I believe it works, correct me if I'm wrong), how far are we willing to let Gandhi and his allies go before they get very close to the limit? What if he vassalizes Mehmed next?

Lastly, with my last turn played being 1950, we have only 100 turns left in the game. Based on the computer's inclination not to build parts in the best cities, will Gandhi even make it? And should we start saving up money to "police" him with our spies? I think we really need to rack our brains to think of everything possible to ensure Gandhi will even get all of the techs required and build all of the parts before the time limit. (I figure I'll also point out that Gandhi has also taken the score lead!)

I have uploaded the save if you want to have a look at the situation, as I think we need to really think this one out.