SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Scorched earth policy: raze every city, destroy every improvement. Reduce our empire to manageable proportions in America/Ottoman. As long as we've got aluminium and oil we can produce modern units. Abandon our recent conquests in Spain, wait for them to be recaptured and then retake and raze. Annihilate the Indian presence in Old Carthage.

To combat WW (our biggest problem) build jails in the cities we're keeping, build Rushmore and switch to police state; we can't cash-rush but we can still use cash to update existing units and we can build replacements faster.

Can we raze a city that we've previously captured?

I'm pleased that Mr. Mahk has paused for a re-think of our situation, because I still think that we're pretty uncertain what we're doing - or should I say that I'm still uncertain about what we're doing! :lol:

I'm not criticising the decision to do so, but I wasn't really that excited about attacking Spain so early, as it's slowed the technology race down even further. I thought that it would be helpful to have several tribes involved in a Space Race, and then 'clip their wings' if they were looking threatening.

So - is the deal ...
  • Let Isabella get back her cities and ideally she'll break out of Gandhi's vassalage contract?
  • Wipe Brennus off the map now, and let Isabella take his cities or re-settle the lands of former Celtia?
I'd suggest we look at switching to Police State in addition to the other war weariness corrective measures. The pillaging and destruction of our Towns and other resources I'd imagine will start to hurt our capacity to maintain our economy, let alone rush Laboratories, Factories, and Power Plants in Old Vikinglands.

I have no idea what to do about Old Carthage! :crazyeye: Happy to go with Pigswill's suggestion, perhaps once we kill Brennus off?

One day I'll actually play some turns in this game rather than float in and make calls from the side-lines! ;)

I strongly disagree about letting isabella retake her cities.
1) It was hard work to get them. I don't like my work being useless
2) It's brennus that vassalized himself to gandhi. We don't need to help isabella.
3) we can make sure gandhi doesn't dominate the world by keeping enough population and/or land ourselves.

I suggest taking peace with Isabella (I already said so a few turns ago), switching to police state if need be (I don' think so), finishing brennus then use up our money in sabotaging if needed.
If we manage to rebuild scotland yard that is.

In the game I downloaded and looked at, Isabella was a vassal of Gandhi. I might have looked at the wrong save! ( ... again, away from Civ computer ...).

Pleased to see that you agree about Brennus. :)

In the game I downloaded and looked at, Isabella was a vassal of Gandhi. I might have looked at the wrong save! ( ... again, away from Civ computer ...).

Pleased to see that you agree about Brennus. :)

I didn't DL anything.
I just read MrMahk's report.
There is no way to free him from gandhi (and maybe it's a good thing, he may trade a bit to his master), so let's get rid of him

No, you are right Cam. In fact, Cabert, this happened in your set, as she was a vassal in the save I started from!

That's what makes this situation so complicated. We are now "eternally" at war with Isabella and Brennus in addition to Gandhi. We probably have to kill at least one off because of the domination limit, but we don't want to kill them both because then Gandhi would have only one AI left (Mehmed) to trade with.

They are equally advanced (both up by a tech or two on Gandhi), both have two main cities with war-torn terrain, and are both friendly with Gandhi. The question is, which one do we kill?

No, you are right Cam. In fact, Cabert, this happened in your set, as she was a vassal in the save I started from!
really?:mischief:
well, I don't think so, since I could capitulate her on my last turn (it's the only picture of my report, you can't miss it ;))
Basically, it means she was still free to vassalize = not yet a vassal at this point. Probably IBT.
Then again, I said we should sue for peace, didn't I?

That's what makes this situation so complicated. We are now "eternally" at war with Isabella and Brennus in addition to Gandhi. We probably have to kill at least one off because of the domination limit, but we don't want to kill them both because then Gandhi would have only one AI left (Mehmed) to trade with.

They are equally advanced (both up by a tech or two on Gandhi), both have two main cities with war-torn terrain, and are both friendly with Gandhi. The question is, which one do we kill?

First, we switch to police state. I don't see how we could bare WW from 3 wars without it.
Then we finish the easiest = where the bombers can strike.
Then asap, we sue for peace and make sure gandhi doesn't move further in ancient America.

edit : sorry this sounds a bit harsh, read it as my suggestion, nothing more

Or simply take measures to alleviate WW, ignore Isabella and Brennus and annhiliate Gandhi in carthage/america. Gandhi should find it difficult to pound our terrain if he's got no cities nearby to base his hairy planes.

^That happened a few turns in. I had debated and debated and decided it best that we eliminated Isabella, getting rid of unhappiness in her old cities and giving us a much more consolidated war front.

We are also now a police state- the changes were very noticable, allowing me to lower the culture slider and use the extra cash for some upgrades.

Back to the war front, the bulk of our air force and sufficient "peacekeeping" units are stationed in our two cities on the border with Brennus. I have bombed just about all of his improvements, and the extra troops are stationed there in case he becomes a nuisance (which is unlikely, as he has a total of about 10 troops). There is also a large stack located on the border with Mehmed in case he decides to join the party. Lastly, I have sent a large stack of tanks to the "new world" border with Gandhi, for if we want to take some cities back.

A look at the domination limits- everything seems ok after the acquisition of Spain.

A couple extra notes- our spies still don't show Gandhi building any parts, which is worrisome, and it turns out we had Mt. Rushmore the whole time; it is located in Erdine (a former Ottoman city).

Here is the save.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit lost with the rota, but it looks like I might be up.

I feel bad about doing this having skipped last round, but I've got my end of year exams in a few days and am supposed to be concentrating on those at the moment so I shouldn't really play any turns for a week.

I'm free after that though, so would be able to jump back in if anyone can swap?

I'm also out for the next three days, so it's over to Pigswill as i see it, so now he can take back Old Carthage and none of us can stop him! :lol:

Roster;
  • Patagonia (skip - but can cut-in in a week)
  • Cam_H (skip - but can cut-in in three days)
  • Pigswill
  • Remconius
  • Stuge
  • Cabert
  • Mr Mahk (just played)

Ugh. Please put me on auto-skip until further notice. I've managed to injure my right wrist and playing and typing with only left hand is a real painintheass, so my participation will be minimal for the next couple of weeks or so.

Ugh. Please put me on auto-skip until further notice. I've managed to injure my right wrist and playing and typing with only left hand is a real painintheass, so my participation will be minimal for the next couple of weeks or so.

OK, we won't be asking what you did to injure your right wrist.
Heal and come back :health: .

About the roster, I'll be on autoskip from today until at least the 14th of july.
I guess we're in no hurry and we could wait for cam to play a bit.
Of course, if captain Pigswill wants to play before that, I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't.

Hi guys,

In recent weeks my interest and participation in this game has been somewhat limited. I dont want to make excuses, but my mind has been with RL matters. See below...

Spoiler :

[party]The birth of my daughter, Meis!!!! [party]

She is my 3rd child and doing great.

BTW, who is joining SGOTM5?

Hi guys,

In recent weeks my interest and participation in this game has been somewhat limited. I dont want to make excuses, but my mind has been with RL matters. See below...

Spoiler :

[party]The birth of my daughter, Meis!!!! [party]

She is my 3rd child and doing great.

BTW, who is joining SGOTM5?

congratulations for this beautiful daughter!
I have 3 of those myself, and I understand completely why you can't sit much on the desktop :).

About SGotM 5, I didn't read about it, or do you mean the vanilla one?
It sounds great, but I'll have to remove the dust from the vanilla disk :mischief:

It is the vanilla one. Havent played it at all myself lately. I hope I still have the disk....

I think the SGOTM is alternating vanilla and warlords. As they take months and months each. I figured I might as well join instead of waiting for the next warlords one in September...

Congrats Remconius, she is beautiful!

As for myself, I think I will be sitting out for the next SGOTM, though I have really enjoyed participating in this one.

It is the vanilla one. Havent played it at all myself lately. I hope I still have the disk....

I think the SGOTM is alternating vanilla and warlords. As they take months and months each. I figured I might as well join instead of waiting for the next warlords one in September...

If captain Pigswill is willing to play as barbaric as this game should be, I'm playing along, even if it is vanilla.
I've certainly forgotten how it feels, since I didn't play any vanilla game in the last 8 months, but it sounds fun enough to bother.

Congratulations on the new addition rem!

I'd be up for a vanilla SGOTM 5 if the team decides to go for it.

SGOTM is the only civ I'm playing these days and it'd be good to keep my hand in.

Remconius: :queen: :woohoo: :woohoo:

All: I'm kind of struggling to get into this game (uninspired leadership) so if Patagonia or Cam_H are available that would be good.

SGOTM5 sounds interesting.

Top Bottom