SGOTM 04 - Trash Team

Congratulations!

... and like the others ... congratulations Remco! :)

Next SGOTM

I'm also up for another succession game if you'll have me. While there's always pressing real life commitments (albeit not in the parental department!) I seem to somehow be able to make my way clear for Civ.​

This Game - Confusion

I'm happy to take the game, but continue to be lost as to our plan.

We should help Mehmed to help Gandhi

I'm still advocating that we should encourage a Space Race in order to get Gandhi's mind back on the job. I don't know the inner workings of the AI, but I feel that this is our best course. We are in a poor position now to actually compete in this regard, but we might be able to help Mehmed along - for starters we can gift him Fibre Optics and improve his capacity with some gifted resources. Gifting Fibre Optics to Mehmed will make it cheaper for Gandhi to get it.

Mehmed will of course never finish an Ottoman Space Ship, because we can 'pull the trigger' when he's getting concerningly close. I'd also guess that he might focus less on military if we improve our relations with him.

We can also let Khoisan flip to him by moving our troops out of this 'revolting city'.

I guess my principal concern here is that Mehmed will build The Space Elevator - he has Robotics already, while Gandhi's still researching this tech. Would The Space Elevator be something that we would want Gandhi to build, or is it too big a distraction given the high :hammers: cost?

Abandon Old Vikingland (Mongolia) completely

In the meantime, I would suggest that we clear out of Old Vikingland - there are still cities with lots of units. Our capital would actually be quite a task for India to capture.

Unsure about Old Carthage - can't raze cities that we've owned?

I'm re-putting the question I asked in #822 ... can we even implement a scortched earth policy in Old Carthage given that we've previously owned these cities? I don't think that we can raze them even if we wanted to.

Stop Gandhi's air pillaging

My view is that builds should be focussed on Jet Fighters (anti-air attack) and Battleships (knock out Carriers that are holding aircraft). Gandhi's relentless pillaging of our lands is achieving nothing for either empire.

Research Genetics

I think that this is a useful technology anyway because of the health bonus, and of course it is a SS technology that we can gift to Mehmed if we want.

Either kill off Brennus or set him free

Brennus is playing no constructive role in our game. We should either allow him to get back in the game by withdrawing from his original lands so he can free himself from Gandhi's vassalage, or we should just take him out of the equasion. I'd be inclined to kill him off, raze the cities and leave the lands bare.​

I will play within the next day, but would like some constructive feedback. If you oppose this proposition, then please provide a sensible and better alternative.

I don't oppose any of these propositions.
Only small addition to it :
- rebuild scotland yard and scout out mehmed.
- science? in the long term, no. We need to keep sabotaging mehmed's efforts towards space. In the short term, your plan sounds good.

THank you all, for the congratulations.

With regards to the plan:

I think our influence towards the end date is very limited. Let's crack on finish this game.

What Gandhi needs is science and production:
-Production he gains through more cities, and better cities. AI will build parts in poor cities, so be it... Let's give him more cities, we dont need many.
-Science can be supported by spreading around techs among G's contacts. If we want to shorten tech time, we should get all SS techs and give them to the small civs.

Agree with general plan.

Let Brennus rebuild.

As I understand it (so I'm probably wrong) a former city reverts to you depending on how much residual culture you have there, which decreases over time. We didn't hold on to Carthage for very long, on the other hand wiping Hannibal out meant wiping out all of his residual culture (I think) so I basically have no idea. Capture one city and find out?

Btw, who is up?

I though Pigswill, but I can take it also. If agreed I can probably play tonight

[Edit] Images removed. [/Edit]

Throughout the turn-set, the enemy chipped away at city defences and pillaged our improvements.

Gift Mehmed II Fibre Optics, the City of Khoisan, and a number of luxury and health resources.

Swap research to Genetics and swap numerous cities to build Research.

Troop movements towards Celtia.

Start moving troops out of Old Mongolia.

Almost on a whim I start The Space Elevator in Ning-hsia.

Old Sarai is captured by Gandhi.

We capture and raze Calleva (Celtic).

Gandhi captures Beshbalik. With the fall of our capital, New York gets an insta-Palace!

Gandhi swaps civics into Nationhood. :rolleyes:

Spy moves into Delhi (Gandhi’s highest production city), and it’s pleasing to note that he’s about to finish SS Life Support. He’s gradually plugging away at researching Robotics.

Production of Scotland Yard swaps out of Edirne (87 turns to build) and in to Izmir (21 turns to build).

Gandhi builds SS Life Support. Unfortunately no further progress on any SS parts for the rest of this round.

Mongolia is now evacuated of Viking troops, who head to the western Spanish coast.

We capture and raze Isca (Celtic).

We capture and raze Durnovaria (Celtic);

Our compelling Viking culture :viking: causes India's Carthage to go into a revolt.

With resources to burn, we gift Mehmed II some Wheat.

Gandhi captures Turfan

Gandhi pops a Great Engineer in Delhi. He already has a Great Prophet.

One of our Spies finally makes it into the Ottoman Empire and is aghast at the lack of high :hammers: capability of the empire. Mehmed II is researching a non-SS technology in Medicine :ack:.

Two cities working on SS Thrusters (Gaziantep has a mere 32 turns to complete the Thrusters), one on a Settler, two on SAM Infantries.

Indian Battleships, Destroyers, and Fighter-laden Carriers begin to creep around the western Spanish-Celtic coast, and our navy responds over the next two years.

Barcelona goes into Ottoman revolt … so much for Viking culture! Loads of troops unload there to bring order to the place.

Gandhi takes Bactrian.

End of round observations and pointers;

• Gandhi still has 7 turns to Robotics.
  • Most of Mongolia is now in Indian hands (three Viking cities remain).
  • With Brennus now gone we are no longer getting unhappiness from war weariness and can swap out of Police State (I left this one open for discussion – although whichever civic we choose will probably have little to nil effect on India’s SS building!). Gandhi still has a lot of units, and is continuing to build them. We can opt to continue with military might (Police State / Hereditary Rule), or re-enter the technology race (Representation), or be flexible (Universal Suffrage).
  • The fear that Gandhi might win by ‘Time Victory’ is actually looming as a real possibility. He's not close to key technologies such as Fusion and consequently still has several big SS parts to work on.
  • Mehmed II did not pass along Fibre Optics to Gandhi as hoped, although now that India is the only tribe without this technology (as well as Robotics) it should be easier for Gandhi to research.
  • The luxury and health resource deal made with Mehmed II at the start of this round can be cancelled (except for the Wheat deal) if the next player chooses. He's still Furious, although we have a +4 modifier.
  • Mehmed II is not building The Space Elevator (as far as I can tell from the last round).

The save

No problem ;) .

If Patagonia wants to fit in a round that's cool.

Otherwise the Proud New Father is cleared to take off.

Edit: Am I the only trash player to officially sign up for sgotm5?

I can play (with a hangover) on Tuesday.

If rem can get to the save before then, then he's welcome to take the reins.

I'll head over to sgotm5 now to sign up.

Patagonia / Remco,

Just further to my report;

• The military is a bit 'all over the place' ... getting increasingly sick of Gandhi's air-pillaging, I'm moving our big stack of Surface-to-Airs down to the American-Carthaginian zone, where they could sit on some Mined Hills and blow away Indian aircraft. :)
  • I've switched a lot of cities, including a couple of our highest-:hammers: cities to build Research. I would understand if you wanted to swap some of these to Jet Fighters and/or Battleships and/or National Wonders, and take one or two more turns instead to acquire Genetics.
  • I didn't build any naval units this round, yet used a few (four or five?) in eliminating some of Gandhi's destructive naval forces. Our navy is still pretty powerful, but replenishment might not be the worst move. I'd avoid Carriers or Transports (we have loads of each), but Drydock-promoted Battleships could be of some benefit. It will depend I guess on how much of India's focus on warfare we're prepared to endure, versus our efforts to try to ramp up the technology pace and present Mehmed II as a Space Race competitor.
Enjoy!

:blush: - Belated thanks to Stuge on putting together the progress report the other week! Thanks. :thumbsup:

[Edit] I've signed up to the SGOTM. [/Edit]

Didnt manage to get a round in yesterday.

Patagonia can play today. Me or Pigswill can play after.

Got it - playing now. Thanks for the added info Cam.

Oops - forgot to post this so the report is included:

I played 15 turns to even things up with 70 to go. No pictures as nothing interesting happened apart from Gandhi landing a stack on the plains hill 1W of Atlanta, which was immediately destroyed.

I've focused on building us an air force to keep Gandhi's pillaging planes at bay in the US. It's working, by and large, although the workers round Washington are flat out keeping the tiles there improved despite the SAM guards. I've got a feeling stacks of jet fighters on intercept are more effective by and large.

We've finished Scotland Yard in Izmir and have another spy in transit in a submarine. Gandhi's got robotics now and has started the docking bay in Delhi, but has unfortunately gone for composites rather than a space tech. Once genetics was in, I sold it to Mehmed for all his gold (190) and set research to fission as it's on the way to fusion.

Gandhi's up to 45% land now, with more to come once his borders in old mongolia pop. He'll be safe from domination for a while yet, but we might want to think about re-taking Sicca to ease the air-pressure on Atlanta and Washington. If the attack's timed well, we should be able to take out quite a few of his planes at the same time. Something to think about anyway.

Here's the save.

Remconius; Are you able to take it?

If not I'll play a few turns tomorrow.

15 or 20 depending on time and energy.

Welcome back stuge.

Remconius is UP for a few turns tonite.

I'm planning on playing a few turns tomorrow.

You could play a set before or after me.

Played 15 turns.

Worried about Gandhi, he needs a few more techs and SS parts, with only 55 turns left...

After about 9 turns Mehmed declared on us. I taught him a lesson, he should be gone soon, except for the city on G's land. Meanwhile G is finally understanding the art of war. He's coming at us hard!

We also got fission.

The save

Read my report this morning and realized it must be the shortest report I ever wrote. :D Sorry about that.

This game seems to drag on and I am glad it's coming to an end. I am looking forward to the next game.

Got it.

Gandhi is indeed getting adventurous.

Top Bottom