SGOTM 05 - Gypsy Kings

Virtually all will be healed w/in 5 turns. Most less.

I think we should keep fighting. We're running out of time and we want to keep the pressure on him. Cyrus is only a handful of votes from Diplomatic victory. He's finding more troops with which to counterattack but we are smoking most of them.

We already have about 1500 gold. While in Kyoto I'm upgrading some of the cannons to artillery.

My problem was lack of defensive units, my stacks were getting hammered by Toku's free Art. But I think it is mostly used up now. We could still upgrade some galleys to transports and go for Amphib tactics, it may be a better option.
No amount of defenders can save a stack from large numbers of siege ... that is how I killed off Toku's stacks at Madrid, despite being in forest.

A huge stack limits spreads out collateral damage, and in multiplayer (pitboss) I have seen old cheap units added to a stack to soak up the damage.

I have used a tactic of small squads ... one tank, one marine, one SAM, so that each art damages fewer units, to consume enemy art then move in with a large stack.

@ Lehm: Look in this thread for some BTS install discussions ...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=232115

other threads about this time might also help.

The big HOF thread is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=229172

dV

I think we keep fighting if we are winning ... not sure we need the gold as much as we need to take him out fast to then deal somehow with Cyrus, even if that is to just stop his ship so we win on time.

dV

...we want blood: red, red, red.

With 3 votes for war and no one else replied yet, I'll keep the war going. I think time is of the essence. We ARE winning it.

Keep Going S214!!!

Played to 1970. 80 turns left.

Took Izumo in the SE of their territory, go to with Kyoto. Troops gathering to take Osaka, which is more heavily held but shouldn't be a problem for us. Then Tokyo after that. We should be able to take both within the next 10 turns or so. The rest of their cities are well back from those to the east, at least the ones we can see.

If we keep taking and holding Japanese cities, we will certainly pass Cyrus in the diplomatic votes. We're closing in. Fortunately, most of the Japanese cities have large populations.

It was a mistake to raze the one little town. We needed it as a staging area to bring aircraft forward. Now we have to use a transport.

Started shifting troops we built on our island east instead of west. Gathering a strike force in Athens to attack the Japanese from that end eventually, in case the capability comes in handy as we crush them from their east.

They do have a few mechanized infantry (combat strength 32), so be careful.

Gotta get back to work. Next up!

Can anyone pick it up NOW???

Alan has moved the dealine back ~24hrs! We should be able to submit in that time I think. I am going to play a few turns right now!

@Thrallia, you still may be able to get in another set, are you interested???

I am back at my game computer, so could play some tonight if others are not.

Interesting question is whether after Toku, we should go after Qin rather than Cyrus ... would taking Qin and then the stray cities of Cyrus get us to dom?

Also depends on how close to launch Cyrus is.

Maybe time win is the best we can do?

Time to see the latest save

dV

The latest is NOT the most Current!!!I will be uploading a new save shortly.

The new save is up, it is mid-turn! We are close to being done with Toku. Good Luck finishing him off. Qin may be an easier target than Cyrus next. I have been using the culture slider to pop borders quickly coming out of anarchy because the AI's are dropping cities like flies in open areas. It also helps with the unhappiness issues. I have also tried to build a few Jails to help ease the war wearriness.

I've long thought that hitting the Chinese was a feasible solution after the Japanese. However, if we can handle war with Cy it might be the easier route to victory, whether dom or dipl. With overwhelming numbers we have relatively easily beaten Japan. Cy has isolated targets all over the place but probably lots more and better troops than China.

The choice may entail how close we are to one type of victory or another. Would quickly grabbing a few cities put us over the top for dom? Would doing so switch enough votes from him to us to give us dipl victory?

I've long thought that hitting the Chinese was a feasible solution after the Japanese. However, if we can handle war with Cy it might be the easier route to victory, whether dom or dipl. With overwhelming numbers we have relatively easily beaten Japan. Cy has isolated targets all over the place but probably lots more and better troops than China.

The choice may entail how close we are to one type of victory or another. Would quickly grabbing a few cities put us over the top for dom? Would doing so switch enough votes from him to us to give us dipl victory?
We are vulnerable to Cyrus in so many places, while we invade him in one place, he will invade us in another ... and he has superior tech and superior numbers.

If we take all of Qin, we might get the domination, or get close to the diplo.

If we are just short of the dom, then maybe quickly taking a few of Cyrus' scattered cites will put us over the top before he hits us.

About to kill off Japan, at turn 600 (1990) then I should have 4 of Qin's cities by 2000.

dV

I haven't look at the save yet.
One question : can we make nukes soon (in 20-30 turns). If we can get nukes a war vs Cyrus is possible no matter how much units he got ;) and few nukes on cities will prevent him to launch.
Other alternative is Internet + havy sabotage on Cyrus while we take space race or time win.
If we still push for domination there are two Sal's islands that can give us few tiles more. Sal have only longbow when i last checked.

And Is there a finish date to SGOTM 5, because it is possible to be at home this weekend.

I haven't look at the save yet.
One question : can we make nukes soon (in 20-30 turns). If we can get nukes a war vs Cyrus is possible no matter how much units he got ;) and few nukes on cities will prevent him to launch.
Other alternative is Internet + havy sabotage on Cyrus while we take space race or time win.
If we still push for domination there are two Sal's islands that can give us few tiles more. Sal have only longbow when i last checked.

And Is there a finish date to SGOTM 5, because it is possible to be at home this weekend.

The end date is tomorrow (i guess today really :lol: )

I played to turn 608 (1998). good news and bad news:

Good News: We are the sec gen of the UN (turn 606, same turn I declared on Qin)

I have taken 5 Qin cities, two in his main empire

We have 45% pop and 45% land.

Bad news: Cyrus has modern armour, and only the engine left to complete to launch (as of turn 606)

He has 39% pop, 35% land

I could not see how a conventional attack could succeed given his tech and numeric superiority and our very long border. Nuke option will take 9 turns to fission, and then build Manhattan Project. Not sure we have enough time, or if that will stop him.

My though at this point is to take over China, farm over our lands and max our pop to try to get a UN win or squeeze out a dom. Perhaps a well timed nuke just before a vote or when we are close to dom would put us over the top.

Alternative is to attack Cyrus, but that seems like suicide.

20 more turns and this is probably done, one way or the other.

If there were a cow award for SGOTM, we would get it for this game!

dV

Spoiler :

Turn 595/660 (1985 AD) [01-Nov-2007 00:38:15]
Karakorum begins: Tank (14 turns)
Turfan Hammers begins: Airport (14 turns)
Madrid begins: Airport (9 turns)
Seville begins: Tank (5 turns)
Artillery promoted: Accuracy
Tank promoted: City Raider I
Tank promoted: City Raider II
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Edo, Tank defeats (28.00/28): Japanese Artillery (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Marine promoted: Combat II
Carrier promoted: Combat I
East Bridge's borders expand
Sparta finishes: Work Boat
Bombay finishes: Tank
Barcelona finishes: Marine
Lahore grows: 12
Hinduism has spread: Tureng Tepe (Persian Empire)

Turn 596/660 (1986 AD) [01-Nov-2007 01:06:32]
Bombay begins: Artillery (7 turns)
Barcelona begins: Artillery (4 turns)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank loses to: Japanese Mechanized Infantry (10.56/32) (Prob Victory: 59.7%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank loses to: Japanese Mechanized Infantry (0.64/32) (Prob Victory: 71.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank defeats (19.04/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 96.5%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank defeats (27.16/28): Japanese Mechanized Infantry (Prob Victory: 97.2%)
Tank promoted: Barrage I
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank defeats (24.36/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nagasaki, Tank defeats (14.56/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 88.2%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nagasaki, Tank defeats (27.44/28): Japanese Mechanized Infantry (Prob Victory: 96.3%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nagasaki, Tank defeats (19.04/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 96.3%)
Hinduism has spread: Nagasaki (Japanese Empire)
Taoism has spread: Nagasaki (Japanese Empire)
Hinduism has spread: Nagasaki
Taoism has spread: Nagasaki
Captured Nagasaki (Tokugawa)
Marine promoted: Pinch
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nagasaki, Marine loses to: Japanese SAM Infantry (10.08/18) (Prob Victory: 73.8%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Kagoshima, Marine defeats (11.76/24): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 97.2%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Pharsalos, Tank defeats (23.52/28): Japanese Mechanized Infantry (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Judaism has spread: Pharsalos (Japanese Empire)
Hinduism has spread: Pharsalos (Japanese Empire)
Taoism has spread: Pharsalos (Japanese Empire)
Judaism has spread: Pharsalos
Hinduism has spread: Pharsalos
Taoism has spread: Pharsalos
Captured Pharsalos (Tokugawa)
Beshbalik finishes: Marine
West Isle finishes: Work Boat
Santiago finishes: Tank
Seville grows: 15
Tokyo's borders expand
Edo's borders expand

Turn 597/660 (1987 AD) [01-Nov-2007 01:33:34]
Beshbalik begins: Settler (6 turns)
Santiago begins: Artillery (4 turns)
Tokyo begins: Theatre (38 turns)
Edo begins: Theatre (2 turns)
Nagasaki begins: Theatre (75 turns)
Kagoshima begins: Theatre (75 turns)
Tank promoted: City Raider III
Marine promoted: Medic I
Turfan Hammers begins: Artillery (3 turns)
West Bridge Ham finishes: Grocer
Valencia finishes: Tank
Aryan grows: 15
Aryan finishes: SAM Infantry
Bombay grows: 17
Santiago grows: 18
Salamanca grows: 17
Kyoto finishes: Theatre
Civics Change: Saladin(Arabia) from 'Bureaucracy' to 'Free Speech'
Civics Change: Cyrus(Persia) from 'Nationhood' to 'Free Speech'

Turn 598/660 (1988 AD) [01-Nov-2007 01:49:17]
West Bridge Ham begins: Artillery (7 turns)
Valencia begins: Bomber (8 turns)
Aryan begins: Bunker (4 turns)
Kyoto begins: Barracks (7 turns)
Mecca finishes: Bomber
West Isle finishes: Marine
Barcelona grows: 17
Lahore's borders expand
Edo finishes: Theatre

Turn 599/660 (1989 AD) [01-Nov-2007 01:59:26]
Mecca begins: Bomber (5 turns)
West Isle begins: Artillery (13 turns)
Edo begins: Library (10 turns)
Sparta begins: Destroyer (13 turns)
Karakorum begins: Destroyer (13 turns)
Turfan Hammers finishes: Artillery
Athens finishes: Bomber
New Turfan grows: 14
Barcelona finishes: Artillery
Seville finishes: Tank
Shimonoseki finishes: Infantry
Osaka's borders expand
Kagoshima's borders expand

Turn 600/660 (1990 AD) [01-Nov-2007 02:10:37]
Athens begins: Battleship (6 turns)
Barcelona begins: Bomber (4 turns)
Seville begins: Bomber (4 turns)
Shimonoseki begins: Library (34 turns)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nara, Tank defeats (27.16/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 97.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Nara, Tank defeats (5.32/28): Japanese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.6%)
Hinduism has spread: Nara (Japanese Empire)
Taoism has spread: Nara (Japanese Empire)
Hinduism has spread: Nara
Taoism has spread: Nara
Captured Nara (Tokugawa)
Research begun: Satellites (66 Turns)
Research begun: Composites (66 Turns)
Tech learned: Satellites
Research begun: Robotics (18 Turns)
Turfan Hammers begins: Artillery (3 turns)
Valencia begins: Lighthouse (4 turns)
Cordoba grows: 12
Santiago finishes: Artillery
Salamanca finishes: Artillery
Madrid finishes: Airport
Seville grows: 16
Kyoto grows: 10
Satsuma's borders expand
Nagasaki's borders expand
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang(China) towards Temujin(Mongolia), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Tokugawa(Japan) towards Cyrus(Persia), from 'Furious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 601/660 (1991 AD) [01-Nov-2007 02:48:17]
Santiago begins: Tank (5 turns)
Salamanca begins: Marine (7 turns)
Madrid begins: Work Boat (1 turns)
Satsuma begins: Theatre (3 turns)
Beshbalik finishes: Settler
Cordoba finishes: Tank
Aryan finishes: Bunker
Salamanca grows: 18
Madrid finishes: Work Boat
Ise grows: 4

Turn 602/660 (1992 AD) [01-Nov-2007 02:57:49]
Beshbalik begins: Lighthouse (3 turns)
Cordoba begins: Tank (21 turns)
Aryan begins: Artillery (7 turns)
Madrid begins: Gunship (6 turns)
Turfan founded
Turfan III begins: Granary (45 turns)
Turfan Hammers finishes: Artillery
West Bridge Ham finishes: Artillery
Mecca finishes: Bomber
Barcelona grows: 18
Barcelona finishes: Bomber
Madrid grows: 14
Seville finishes: Bomber
Kyoto grows: 11
Tokyo's borders expand
Tokyo finishes: Theatre
Satsuma's borders expand

Turn 603/660 (1993 AD) [01-Nov-2007 03:06:09]
West Bridge Ham begins: Lighthouse (4 turns)
Mecca begins: Battleship (6 turns)
Barcelona begins: Gunship (4 turns)
Seville begins: Gunship (4 turns)
Tokyo begins: Library (7 turns)
Sparta finishes: Bomber
West Isle grows: 9
Athens finishes: Battleship
Valencia finishes: Lighthouse
New Turfan grows: 15
Bombay grows: 18
Santiago grows: 19
Shimonoseki grows: 7
Kyoto finishes: Barracks
Osaka finishes: Theatre
Satsuma finishes: Theatre
Kagoshima finishes: Theatre

Turn 604/660 (1994 AD) [01-Nov-2007 03:22:56]
Sparta begins: Bunker (9 turns)
Sparta begins: Christian Temple (7 turns)
Athens begins: Observatory (8 turns)
Kyoto begins: Hindu Temple (11 turns)
Osaka begins: Library (23 turns)
Osaka begins: Barracks (9 turns)
Satsuma begins: Hindu Temple (5 turns)
Kagoshima begins: Granary (7 turns)
Battleship promoted: Combat I
Beshbalik finishes: Lighthouse
Cordoba grows: 13
New Turfan finishes: Tank
Bombay finishes: Artillery
Kyoto grows: 12
Civics Change: Tokugawa(Japan) from 'Universal Suffrage' to 'Representation'
Civics Change: Tokugawa(Japan) from 'Mercantilism' to 'Free Market'

Turn 605/660 (1995 AD) [01-Nov-2007 03:30:46]
Beshbalik begins: Bomber (8 turns)
New Turfan begins: Tank (7 turns)
Bombay begins: Tank (8 turns)
Sparta begins: Hermitage (17 turns)
Nagasaki begins: Work Boat (4 turns)
Nagasaki begins: Work Boat (4 turns)
Beshbalik begins: Work Boat (4 turns)
Turfan Hammers finishes: Airport
Aryan grows: 16
Santiago finishes: Tank
Salamanca grows: 19
Seville grows: 17
Edo grows: 8

Turn 606/660 (1996 AD) [01-Nov-2007 03:44:56]
Turfan Hammers begins: Tank (5 turns)
Santiago begins: Gunship (6 turns)
While attacking in Chinese territory near Hangzhou, Destroyer loses to: Chinese Battleship (19.60/40) (Prob Victory: 19.5%)
While attacking on the high seas near Hangzhou, Battleship defeats (40.00/40): Chinese Battleship (Prob Victory: 99.3%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Kunming, Tank loses to: Chinese Infantry (8.00/20) (Prob Victory: 64.7%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Tank defeats (17.92/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 71.5%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Tank defeats (7.84/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 71.5%)
Artillery promoted: Barrage I
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Tank defeats (7.84/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 70.6%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Tank defeats (17.92/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 70.6%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Marine defeats (2.40/24): Chinese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 69.4%)
While attacking in Mongolian territory at Kunming, Tank defeats (17.92/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 94.5%)
Judaism has spread: Kunming (Chinese Empire)
Judaism has spread: Kunming
Captured Kunming (Qin Shi Huang)
Karakorum finishes: Destroyer
West Bridge Ham finishes: Lighthouse
Valencia grows: 11
Barcelona finishes: Gunship
Salamanca finishes: Marine
Lahore grows: 13
Lahore finishes: Marine
Seville finishes: Gunship
Kyoto grows: 13
Edo's borders expand
While defending in Chinese territory at Beijing, Caravel loses to: Chinese Destroyer (30.00/30) (Prob Victory: 0.0%)
Attitude Change: Qin Shi Huang(China) towards Temujin(Mongolia), from 'Cautious' to 'Furious'

Turn 607/660 (1997 AD) [01-Nov-2007 04:03:02]
Artillery promoted: Accuracy
Infantry promoted: Pinch
Tank promoted: City Raider III
Destroyer promoted: Combat I
While attacking in Mongolian territory near Khurasan, Destroyer loses to: Chinese Destroyer (12.90/30) (Prob Victory: 32.6%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Chengdu, Tank defeats (23.80/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 95.7%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Chengdu, Tank defeats (17.08/28): Chinese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.3%)
Taoism has spread: Chengdu (Chinese Empire)
Taoism has spread: Chengdu
Captured Chengdu (Qin Shi Huang)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Battleship loses to: Chinese Destroyer (2.40/30) (Prob Victory: 78.3%)
While attacking in Chinese territory near Hangzhou, Battleship defeats (40.00/40): Chinese Destroyer (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Karakorum begins: Lighthouse (5 turns)
Tech learned: Robotics
Beshbalik finishes: Work Boat
Turfan Hammers grows: 12
Mecca grows: 12
West Isle grows: 10
Aryan finishes: Artillery
Barcelona grows: 19
Madrid finishes: Gunship
Ise finishes: Lighthouse
Kyoto grows: 14
Tokyo finishes: Library
Yokohama grows: 5
Edo finishes: Library
Pharsalos's borders expand

Turn 608/660 (1998 AD) [01-Nov-2007 04:29:13]
Research begun: Composites (22 Turns)
Beshbalik begins: Work Boat (2 turns)
Aryan begins: Mechanized Infantry (8 turns)
Madrid begins: Lighthouse (3 turns)
Tokyo begins: University (9 turns)
Edo begins: Hindu Temple (8 turns)
Pharsalos begins: Theatre (5 turns)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Marine defeats (24.00/24): Chinese Tank (Prob Victory: 82.8%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Artillery loses to: Chinese Tank (11.48/28) (Prob Victory: 47.5%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Marine defeats (9.60/24): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 75.7%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Marine defeats (13.92/24): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 86.1%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Tank defeats (22.68/28): Chinese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 84.3%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Tank defeats (28.00/28): Chinese Tank (Prob Victory: 99.0%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Tank defeats (17.92/28): Chinese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 96.2%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Tank defeats (23.52/28): Chinese Artillery (Prob Victory: 99.2%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Tank defeats (24.08/28): Chinese Artillery (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
Hinduism has spread: Hangzhou (Chinese Empire)
Hinduism has spread: Hangzhou
Buddhism has spread: Hangzhou
Confucianism has spread: Hangzhou
Captured Hangzhou (Qin Shi Huang)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Loyang, Artillery loses to: Chinese Infantry (3.20/20) (Prob Victory: 1.2%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Loyang, Tank defeats (19.04/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 94.4%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Loyang, Marine defeats (12.48/24): Chinese SAM Infantry (Prob Victory: 95.9%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Loyang, Artillery defeats (18.00/18): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
Christianity has spread: Loyang (Chinese Empire)
Christianity has spread: Loyang
Captured Loyang (Qin Shi Huang)
Artillery promoted: City Raider I
While attacking in Chinese territory at Chongqing, Artillery loses to: Chinese Infantry (7.20/20) (Prob Victory: 11.6%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Chongqing, Tank defeats (19.04/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 94.5%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Chongqing, Tank defeats (19.60/28): Chinese Infantry (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Buddhism has spread: Chongqing
Captured Chongqing (Qin Shi Huang)
Artillery promoted: City Raider I
West Bridge Ham begins: Mechanized Infantry (150 turns)
Barcelona begins: Mechanized Infantry (5 turns)
Salamanca begins: Mechanized Infantry (8 turns)
Lahore begins: Mechanized Infantry (13 turns)
Seville begins: Mechanized Infantry (5 turns)
Nara begins: Mechanized Infantry (300 turns)
Nara begins: Theatre (75 turns)
Kunming begins: Theatre (75 turns)
Chengdu begins: Granary (90 turns)
Hangzhou begins: Theatre (75 turns)
Loyang begins: Granary (90 turns)
Chongqing begins: Granary (90 turns)

I look at the save. Scotland Yard is not build. Why? This is the victory ticket:
make spy and sabotage the engine like there is no tomorrow - we must start to make a lot of money to be able to destroy the engine completele and to keep it not build till the end. Sevile can build SY for 10 turns with 3 eng. And it says 6700 and something to rush it. That mean that we ca get SY it 3-4 turns, the first spy will be there at the 5th turn. The slider must be at 0% because we will need only money. If we can beat Qin with force the victory will be our even if it go like a time victory.

Top Bottom