1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 10 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

Turn set report for T0 - T23 (1285AD - 1400AD)

T0) Change civics to Hereditary Rule, Slavery, Bureaucracy, and Mercantilism

T2) Moscow founded, start wb
    St. Pete founded, start worker
    Meet Gandhi, open borders and buy map for 10 gold

T4) Gandhi is moving toward us with a settler

T5) Whip worker in St. Pete

T6) St. Pete worker->wb
    Christianity is founded in St. Pete
    Buddhism is founded in Bombay nearby

T7) Moscow gets chopped worker

T8) Moscow wb->caravel

T9) St. Pete's borders expand

T10) Moscow's borders expand, net clams

T11) St. Pete wb->wb

T12) Moscow Pop3, start worker

T13) Whip worker in Moscow

T14) Moscow worker->caravel resumed

T15) Spot Indian caravel in the north

T16) Moscow Pop3
    Buy Gandhi's map and see Chinese and English borders

T17) St. Pete Pop3

T18) GE born to Gandhi
    Moscow Pop4

T19) Gandhi completes Sistine in Delhi
    St. Pete Pop4
    Moscow caravel->warrior
    St. Pete wb->wb
    buy Gandhi's map for 5 gold, see American borders

T20) Moscow Pop5
    Buy Gandhi's map for 5 gold
    Meet Roosevelt, open borders, buy map for 50 gold

T21) St. Pete Pop5
    See 2 LBs, 1 cat in Delhi
    Meet Mao, open borders, buy map for 30 gold, and gift clams
    Map reveals French borders, and extends farther west than Gandhi's map
    Buy Gandhi's map for 5 gold. He still has a second boat in the west, exploring south. The Indian caravel is cut off going south.

T22) Moscow Pop6 warrior->wb
    Buy Gandhi's map for 5 gold. His caravel goes back NE.
    Gandhi sent his worker back to Delhi, and he now has a second worker

T23) GS born to Churchill
    Meet Churchill, can't trade anything
    We have -3 diplo with Churchill for trading with his worst enemy Mao
    St. Pete Pop6
    Buy maps from Roosevelt, Mao, Gandhi
    Our map currently extends 4 tiles farther west than Gandhi's.

2. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Yes, we do! That map we bought of the northern continent is just what we need, going further west than Gandhi's map. Seems he's not made progress out that way? Did his galley or caravel (?) he had there turn back? Or meet a lucky barbarian?

Either way we look to be in luck. Now if Gandhi will just so-operate by moving caravel east so that we get circumnavigation from his map, we can then declare on him and get right down to business with hobbling him. He would be really co-operative if about the turn after we get circumnavigation, he exposes a worker or two next to our LB's... (Nothing wrong with being optimistic huh?)

Good job SCT!

3. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

He still has a boat exploring in the west. When I first bought Mao's map, it extended 6 tiles farther west than Gandhi's. Now that is down to 4.

4. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

He is *nearly* doing exactly what we don't want him to do here. Not only does he settle directly in our direction and make it a holy city, he pops a GE and the worst he could have done was build the Sistine chapel there! At least he built it in Delhi where it's not going to eat into the fat crosses of St. P and Moscow. It would have been nasty if he'd put it in his eastern city.

OK. This answers my question about the boat in the west. sounds like it's not speeding Gandhi's circumnavigation. That's lucky. If it goes west and passes the western limit of the map we have bought of the northern continent, we can't get circumnavigation. Looks like we've had some luck with this.

Goody goody. Hopefully we can steal both of them!

5. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

May his eastern caravel go east much faster than his western one goes west. :please:

6. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Testing again seems to have good predictive value.

Share your hopes, MP, but don't like the odds.

We've certainly improved our position for war, but what is the rationale for building a wkbt in Moscow instead of a lb, warrior, or even a library?

Suggest sailing our caravel WSW to just N of the cows and then deciding whether to go greet the French or put that off to deny coastal tiles to Delhi and make sure G doesn't ship out a settler.

7. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Well the caravel can't help us much more with circumnavigation anyhow. It's done all it can meeting the northern neighbours to get us those maps we bought.

Which French leader will it be I wonder? Is SCT's guess of a 20th century theme right? IF so, then DeGaulle.

I think it is important to ensure Gandhi is properly hobbled. Without a good start he's a pushover later, but with a good start and a fist full of nukes, he's a screaming terror, despite his "peaceful" facade. The idea of preventing him sailing settlers off anywhere does appeal to me if it's at all likely that he will do so.

8. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

The wb is for exploring the island(s) to the east. Ivory will be hooked in 2 turns and we can start building a elephant. Maybe chop the forests near Bombay for the elephant. Also important are warriors for fogbusting. Having barb cities pop up on our continent is almost as bad as letting Gandhi settle more cities.

I'd like to contact the French quickly.

The French map might extend farther to the west. By the time we can sail to France though, Gandhi will probably already have circumnavigated. Maybe we should sail toward London. We need to establish a trade route with Churchill, and maybe our caravel will see a French unit on land.

He's not going to start sailing settlers anywhere while there is plenty of good territory at home.

9. Cactus Pete

Even if he is at war and we have units on the settler routes? Particularly concerned that he doesn't settle NW of our iron, where we don't want to have to settle until the rest of the continent is taken.

10. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

11. Cactus Pete

I'm going to be busy again starting Sunday night. I could post a plan later today and play Sunday, but that would be contrary to our standard practices and perhaps rushing things a bit, minimizing team input and presuming little need for pauses and consultation. Alternatively, I could work on a plan with team input and post on Sunday afternoon, then play as time allows -- would take several days. Be happy to do either or to let you have it.

12. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Just to let you all know I'll be missing from Sunday to Wednesday. Maybe. Probably. I think. This is Africa, where plans more often don't turn out the way they are thought out!

13. leif erikson

Good job SCT. :thumbsup: Much thought and a great deal of meaningful testing! :goodjob:

Looks a bit like this is where we are thus far. :)

I didn't think we would go this long with the first set. Got to take my son to college later next week and my wife has a few things planned for me in preparation during some upcoming evenings. I have also not had much chance to play around with the test games and early war can be hazardous to one's health if one isn't wide awake and vigil! :blush:

If you can take it, that would be very helpful. :beer:

@MP - Don't have to be in Africa for that to happen... :mischief:

14. Cactus Pete

Okay, I'll try to post a plan about 24 hours from now. Soliciting input.

15. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

Gandhi's workers will probably hook ivory next. Let them, and then look to steal both workers the turn after, on the northern ivory, or western silk, or Bombay's cows. Build a warrior in Moscow to cover the cow possibility. We should be able to pillage the southern ivory before G can build an elephant.

We need to fogbust our continent or barbs will start appearing. Use the explorer if need be. Fogbusting should come before building libraries.

Whip settlers in Moscow at Pop8 and in St. Pete at Pop10. First two settlers should grab horse and probably copper/crab/fur. I'll post a dot map.

Attached Files:

16. leif erikson

Just to help keep track.

Roster:
    Cactus Pete - UP
    leif - On Deck
    rrau
    Frederiksburg
    Mad Professor
    Grover22
    ShannonCT
    - Just Played! :goodjob:

PaulisKhan - Searching for a deal on a new computer! :thumbsup:

That is a long trip to the Crab, Cu and Furs. :hmm:
    Are there hammers to build a Galley? With all the fog busting to do, perhaps not.
    Sure am curious about that eastern island. Hate to see the Barbs get it. :eek:

Waiting for Hurricane Bill to clear the humidity from the air here. Come on Bill!! :rockon:

17. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

My testing earlier indicated that once Gandhi's culture expanded to cover the wheat he quite often sent a worker to develop it, usually without military cover if we weren't at war with him. Maybe that southern LB should be ready to snatch a worker from there or one of the silks. The ideal is that when we declare, we can snatch both of Gandhi's workers immediately.

I hope to check back in Wednesday night (my time).

18. Cactus Pete

"I'll post a dot map." CONSIDER NEXT TO THE HORSES AND ON THE ICY IRON.

19. leif erikson

Yes, that is what is showing on the attached screenie in post 355. :)

EDIT - Hope you enjoy your trip MP. Another family ride on the moped? :D

20. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

The iron city is problematic because settling it may prohibit us from building more warrior MP's. We may be able to trade it away but I think this requires that the AI doesn't have iron of their own.

I suggest that St. Pete build library+NE after work boat. That leaves Moscow responsible of building warrior MP's and Elephants. Whip settlers in both cities.

For how many turns do you need to build the settlers when whipping at 8/10 pop?