SGOTM 10 - Xteam

We could move the longbow and WE next to the hill outside Bombay. If we are lucky Gandhi will move GA and worker there and cover with a longbow thus we at least get a shot at them.

I can't suggest better than that. Unfortunately, it seems just too easy for the GA to move to the tile one south of Bombay to avoid our units, and then into Bombay then boom. We can't do better than what Fred has suggested though I think. If we manage to kill the GA though, I'd have to put it on the list of great AI stupidities! :crazyeye:

Gandhi will give 70 gold with his map for peace if we offer it. I notice that's all he's got to give (Apart from cities!). That means that if we ask for peace next turn and he's got a bit more cash he'll give a bit more.

We want peace soon. I think we've done a good job of stalling Gandhi's early development (to say the least) and from now on the war will start hurting us too. Once we get peace we just need to keep a close watch on Gandhi and make he's not getting going too fast.

I notice Mau has gunpowder now. Won't trade of course.

Mad Professor said:
Gandhi will give 70 gold with his map for peace if we offer it. I notice that's all he's got to give (Apart from cities!). That means that if we ask for peace next turn and he's got a bit more cash he'll give a bit more.

We could ask him to adopt slavery as part of the peace deal. That would prevent him from hiring artists for a while. We can start sailing the work boat towards Rostov anticipating that we make a peace deal before it is threatened by the Indian caravel.

Want to wish you all good luck with this game, my RL schedule has kept me way too busy. I haven't even touched a Civ game in months. Work should be gearing back down to normal now, so I should be able to follow your exploits through to the end.

Good that it's just your schedule and not your health, Gator. Hope our exploits are worth following late.

Note that we're probably going to need a boat to defend our net and future ones to the SE from the barbs in the not so distant future.

Think a pause for discussion will be in order again once we see what the GA does and have another settler produced and ready to move.

Good that it's just your schedule and not your health, Gator. Hope our exploits are worth following late.
:yup: Nice to hear from you.
Glad to hear you are well. :cheers:

Note that we're probably going to need a boat to defend our net and future ones to the SE from the barbs in the not so distant future.

Think a pause for discussion will be in order again once we see what the GA does and have another settler produced and ready to move.
Two turns should have us in this position.

What about a peace deal, are we ready or should we wait a turn to try to gain more?

leif erikson said:
What about a peace deal, are we ready or should we wait a turn to try to gain more?

I prefer to wait until we have sailed the work boat to the clam outside Rostov. When we make peace we can't pass through India any more.

Remember to whip a worker in HC next turn. And try not to whip anythings except workers and settlers. We should have enough hammers to build units - no need to waste population on this.

The caravel outside OC should probably seek out the barb galley. Don't attack it - just sail up next to it so that we get the defense bonus from coast.

Remember to whip a worker in HC next turn. And try not to whip anythings except workers and settlers. We should have enough hammers to build units - no need to waste population on this.

The caravel outside OC should probably seek out the barb galley. Don't attack it - just sail up next to it so that we get the defense bonus from coast.
OK. I whipped the Caravel to go look for city sites to the west in order to help us decide if we would need to build more Settlers? Which is more important, recon or Barb Galley?

Galley is probably the more immediate need, but we do need to recon as well, which means we still will need another boat for our SE nets in the future. Question, then, is whether we can conveniently get another boat built in time to deal with the existing galley as well as others that may follow.

OK, playing now. Will post once we get the Artist issue resolved, one way or the other, and a Settler produced.

Played one turn and the most amazing thing happened. The fast Worker went into Bombay while the Great Artist moved back towards Delhi, and is now exposed for us to take. Meanwhile, a Great Engineer was born in Bombay. :rolleyes:

The log for the turn:
Turn 52 – 1545 AD continued
Change build in Moscow to Settler.
Whip Worker in Horse Coty for 2-pop.
Move WE and LB to the southeast.
Caravel enters the city of Rostov.
LB occupies the Grass Hill SE of the Iron near Rostov.
Knight moves back towards the middle of G’s area.
Galleys heads back towards Moscow.
Work Boat heads for Rostov.
OK, let’s see what G does?

IBT
Horse City Worker => Trireme
G moves the Great Artist back towards Delhi?
The Fast Worker made it into Bombay.
A Great Engineer is born in Bombay. Oh my!!

Turn 53 – 1550 AD
Move the southern Caravel towards the Barb Galley.

There are many options available here, decide to stop, post and seek advice.

Seems to me that we should grab the Great Artist. The question is whether we attack the LB and Treb stack near Bombay. Our combat odds are 90.43% to win.

Also, I set Horse City to build a Trireme to defend nets against Barb Galleys. However, there are quite a few options available to us, including another Worker.
EDIT - Moscow is ready to whip a Settler for 4-pop. This settler goes to the Grass Hill northwest of St. Pete?

Played one turn and the most amazing thing happened. The fast Worker went into Bombay while the Great Artist moved back towards Delhi, and is now exposed for us to take. Meanwhile, a Great Engineer was born in Bombay. :rolleyes:

Gandhi's GPs have to slow down sometime simply because he needs more and more points for them. This is ridiculous. What's also ridiculous is the GA exposing itself. I have not yet understood the code which drives the AI decision making in situations like this. It is surely not too hard to write code that says a worker or GP will not expose itself to military units when at war...

I should get a chance to look at the save and offer an opinion sometime in the next 12 hours or so.

leif erikson said:
EDIT - Moscow is ready to whip a Settler for 4-pop. This settler goes to the Grass Hill northwest of St. Pete?

Yes, let's make sure that Gandhi doesn't get there. And send some work boats up there also so that we can create fishing nets ASAP.

Why don't we use the caravel in Rostov to scout west so that the southern caravel can concentrate on the barb galley?

Yes, let's make sure that Gandhi doesn't get there. And send some work boats up there also so that we can create fishing nets ASAP.
That's what I figured.

Why don't we use the caravel in Rostov to scout west so that the southern caravel can concentrate on the barb galley?
Perhaps we can lure G's Caravel away so that our approaching WB won't be threatened.

How long after peace do you estimate it will be before we can sign Open Borders with G?

leif erikson said:
Perhaps we can lure G's Caravel away so that our approaching WB won't be threatened.

That would be excellent! In 4-5 turns the WB has passed Indian waters and we can make peace if Gandhi threatens anything.

leif erikson said:
How long after peace do you estimate it will be before we can sign Open Borders with G?

I'm afraid I don't know. I think he will go back to cautious so we should eventually be able to open borders again.

Just had a look at the save (have family visiting until the 12th, so my contribution may continue to be limited for a few days). Suggest you take out the GA and then move explorer on top of our longbow to discourage a counterattack. Move longbow near Rostov one east to confront G's lb and to improve position, at least for a turn (don't think G will put longbows in galley and head to Rostov with units adjacent to Delphi). I like attacking with the knight. If he wins, he gets a promotion and will have a move to avoid attack next turn, and by eliminating the lb it puts us in better position to eventually capture the worker. If knight loses, then peace may be near at hand.

That would be excellent! In 4-5 turns the WB has passed Indian waters and we can make peace if Gandhi threatens anything. Concur.

I'm afraid I don't know. I think he will go back to cautious so we should eventually be able to open borders again.
My best guess would be in ten turns, particularly if we can gift him a resource.

Just had a look at the save (have family visiting until the 12th, so my contribution may continue to be limited for a few days). Suggest you take out the GA and then move explorer on top of our longbow to discourage a counterattack. Move longbow near Rostov one east to confront G's lb and to improve position, at least for a turn (don't think G will put longbows in galley and head to Rostov with units adjacent to Delphi). I like attacking with the knight. If he wins, he gets a promotion and will have a move to avoid attack next turn, and by eliminating the lb it puts us in better position to eventually capture the worker. If knight loses, then peace may be near at hand.
Under that LB is a Treb, so the Knight will not advance into the tile. In :bts:, mounted units should flank bombard units, so the Treb should get wounded. I hope this would discourage any moves into our neighborhood.

What about the WE under the LB that will take the Great Artists, can't he cover the LB near Delhi?

If we are in basic agreement, I can continue in about 7 or 8 hours.

Any recommended builds? I know we need Work Boats. Should we be building Libraries to the west? Don't think they're very useful since we plan to go with a hammer economy. How about Theaters in Moscow and St. Pete to offset some culture from Gandhi? Other things?

leif erikson said:
Any recommended builds? I know we need Work Boats. Should we be building Libraries to the west? Don't think their very useful since we plan to go with a hammer economy. How about Theaters in Moscow and St. Pete to offset some culture from Gandhi? Other things?

Libraries are not high priority. Theaters might be a good idea - at least one in Moscow. Otherwise build wealth if you run out of better ideas. We need wealth to keep the science slider high.

We should also try to improve the coordination of our units. Right now the work boat down south should return north heading towards the northern fish city. We can probably build another WB in St. Pete after the NE so that we have the two we need up north.

When you whip the settler in Moscow remember to give back the rice tile to St. Pete for a few turns until Moscow has grown back one pop (keep working both gold at all times). And when St. Pete grows next turn hire an additional scientist.

Nice job so far. My dad has a 24 hour caregiver now, so I can get some free time. Maybe I can take a turn here and there. Good luck, Leif. Don't forgive the Haka!

Top Bottom