SGOTM 14 - Ivan

I have no objection to you going by yourselves - as I said earlier, it would probably take me 2-3 weeks to manage 10 turns that I felt were up to standard. (And whaddaya know, even making this post, I had to get up to clean squished banana off the carpet!)

I have no objection to you going by yourselves - as I said earlier, it would probably take me 2-3 weeks to manage 10 turns that I felt were up to standard. (!)
Yes, it is. 1 week to understand whats going on and 2 week to play.
So let's do following: Lanzelot will make a good look at this weekend and next days we will discuss what to do. How much turns each to play we will see...

(And whaddaya know, even making this post, I had to get up to clean squished banana off the carpet!)

Having carpets is a big mistake in your situation, let me tell you... ;)
(The same goes for flowers, furniture, books, LPs, etc - and computers of course. Life is much easier without those earthly possessions...)

Lanzelot

Having carpets is a big mistake in your situation, let me tell you... ;)
(The same goes for flowers, furniture, books, LPs, etc - and computers of course. Life is much easier without those earthly possessions...)

Lanzelot

They're not my carpets.

Ok, here are my ideas so far:
  • I think I can finish the wars in Sumeria, Aztekia and Mayaland "in the usual way"
  • We can land 5 settlers on the Indian continent and grab some land there.
  • Similarly I can grab 8 tiles by settling on the German continent 2W of Ta-Tu...
  • Where should new units from the core go? Rome? You are building quite a few pikes. I assume they are meant for
  • Ivan, how did you manage to clean the marshes at Bissau?? Using the "Auto-Clean" button?!
  • What is the plan for Egypt? Assemble a few more Kts there, delete the remainder of the Egyptian stack and then retake Alexandria? Elephantine and Luanda3 should build settlers, right?
  • Otherwise it just means cranking out settlers and filling gaps. Should I finish the temples towards the end of my turnset? I think with a bit of luck you should be able to finish this in the next turnset, and it would be nice to have the temple-tiles by then.

Cheers, Lanzelot

Ok, here are my ideas so far:
  • 1 I think I can finish the wars in Sumeria, Aztekia and Mayaland "in the usual way"
  • 2 We can land 5 settlers on the Indian continent and grab some land there.
  • 3 Similarly I can grab 8 tiles by settling on the German continent 2W of Ta-Tu...
  • 4 Where should new units from the core go? Rome?
    5 You are building quite a few pikes. I assume they are meant for
  • 6 Ivan, how did you manage to clean the marshes at Bissau?? Using the "Auto-Clean" button?!
  • 7 What is the plan for Egypt? Assemble a few more Kts there, delete the remainder of the Egyptian stack and then retake Alexandria? Elephantine and Luanda3 should build settlers, right?
  • 8 Otherwise it just means cranking out settlers and filling gaps. Should I finish the temples towards the end of my turnset? I think with a bit of luck you should be able to finish this in the next turnset, and it would be nice to have the temple-tiles by then.

Cheers, Lanzelot

1 Yes, but may be better to make "false peace" at some point
2 "Interesting idea"...
3 War with Germany?
4 Not sure. Germany, Hitties and therefpre Rome has Gunpowder. Are there easer target?
Better to have more Cities at Mayyas continent...
5 It will be Horses, when Iron disconnected. At F1 click "production" and change Picksa to Horses
6 Yes, but looks that it does not work. Nothing changes and worker continue again and again...
7. Yes, we need more settlers at native Egipt and when finish Sumeria we expand here.

8. Yes, I hope I saved some cash.

Hi, Team Ivan. Do you have an estimate as to when you might finish the game?

3 War with Germany?
No, there are two Mongolian tiles overlapping with the German continent, and we are at war with Mongolia... :D But this (as well as the plan with India) depends on whether it is not too much effort to get a settler, a galley and a pike "close by".
4 Not sure. Germany, Hitties and therefore Rome has Gunpowder. Are there easer target?
Better to have more Cities at Mayyas continent...
Did you see any muskets appearing already? Perhaps they have no saltpeter. But still, we need one more continent, and Rome looks like the easiest target: no Knights, no cities on hills! And we'll have many troops close by.

The rest is clear. I'll play a few turns today.

Regards, Lanzelot

Maybe two more turnsets, if we are lucky... And our team just collapsed to size 2, so we have to "alternate" and it's not easy to find the necessary time for playing this difficult game, but we are working on it...

Cheers, Lanzelot

Did you see any muskets appearing already? Perhaps they have no saltpeter. But still, we need one more continent, and Rome looks like the easiest target: no Knights, no cities on hills! And we'll have many troops close by.

Yes, I saw.

Not sure that Rome has Salpeter. I only saw Legeoniers.

"Realistic " estimate is 7 April. If Lanzelot play well and nobody will play after Lanzelot, and taking acoount my RL things that is.

Thanks. xcl

I need your opinion: I finished 6 and a half turns now and Egypt, Aztekia and Mayaland are "cleaned up". Replacements from Egypt have been transferred over to Sumeria. And I'm ready to attack India, destroy their horses and swords, then settle three more towns on their territory and make peace again. This will give a total of 27 tiles.

However, there are multiple options for how to continue: I noticed the two southern Roman cities are protected by muskets. :( Mongolia on the other hand does not have Gunpowder, as they don't have Invention, yet. So what to do:
  1. Attack Rome anyway
  2. Attack Mongolia instead
  3. Attack both

Mongolia has only 88 tiles, and that will definitely not be enough to push us over the dom limit. An attack on Rome can be conducted like this: Drop fresh troups from the core on the mountain in the north and wait until their Legions went north. Then drop the remaining 27 Kts from Aztekia on their southern shore, and finally bring reinforcements from Sumeria, after that campaign is finished. (Currently 15 units in Sumeria, 5 more transferred over from Egypt next turn.) On the other hand, attacking Mongolia looks promising as well: I can drop a small deflection force from Greece in the east and then attack with core troups in the west. And also I got a new leader in Mayaland, which can be landed in Mongolia. (And perhaps I can find a way to "teleport" our Greek Army over to Mongolia, but for this to work, I would need to relocate Tomar2, so that it covers the swamp tile 2S of Thermophylae, build another town that covers the iron hill 2SW of Athens, then land a settler on the Mongolian shore, hope it survives the interturn, found a town there, make peace, so we don't loose the town, and then gift Lagos, Athens, Thermopylae and the two Tomar2 towns to our good friends the Celts. (They have kicked me out, whenever I entered their territory so far... ;) ) Not sure, whether this is worth the effort?!)

At the moment I favour plan 3. But it depends on whether the Roman tiles will suffice to reach dominiation. (Need to do some exact counting tomorrow.) Then I should probably concentrate everything on Rome (including the new Army)? Unfortunately teleporting the Aztekian Armies over to Rome is not possible: when I found a town on their southern shore, they won't make peace and then they'll just run over the town with their Legions...

Cheers, Lanzelot

Ok, I did some counting. Mongolia has approx. 110 dom-relevant tiles (looks like CivAssist does not count the "black" unexplored tiles). And Mongolia is probably the easiest target now, as we know that Germany, Hittitia and Rome have muskets.

At the moment we still need 412 tiles.
  • By retaking the towns we gifted to Arabia and Celtia, I will get ~50 tiles
  • From Sumeria I will get ~70tiles
  • At the moment there are 298 unclaimed tiles, lets assume we can grab ~200 of those with settlers/temples
  • I can gain 12 tiles by relocating France, 17 more tiles on India and 8 tiles by settling the town on the German continent, that's 37 tiles.

This is a total of 374 tiles. So we need to conquer 38 tiles from Mongolia, and the game should be ours!

Unless you have a different idea, I will now concentrate all our forces on Mongolia and forget about Rome. The Maya force, the Sumerian force and new units from the eastern core can reach Mongolia quickly, the Aztekian force needs a bit longer.

Or should we employ the troops at their closest target and try to gain 20 tiles against Rome and 20 against Mongolia?! :confused:

Lanzelot

We may take "Roman's Island with 1 City", but I don't think that landing on Main Rome will be successful.

We may take "Roman's Island with 1 City", but I don't think that landing on Main Rome will be successful.

I think I found a way to "teleport" our Greek Army over to Mongolia. (More details in the turnlog.) I started preparations for that in turn 4 or 5, but I still need until turn 12 before I can perform the jump. So if you don't mind, I would like to play two more turns tonight (just finished turn 10). Otherwise I will describe my plan to you, if you want to continue tonight.

Regards, Lanzelot

Turnlog:
Spoiler :

0. Leftovers
I was thinking we could use Invention to we can see, who has Gunpowder. Babylon is willing to give Invention for peace + 322g -- Too much for me.
Change Alcabaca and Leiria2 from wealth to settler. Need some more towns on Celtia. Elephantine and Luanda3 also changed to settler.
Germans give 26gpt for 3 luxes.

IBT
A Mayan MI attacks our Army at Palenque, and it barely survives (1/13)! Hittites sink a galley somewhere.

1. 770
Make peace with Sumeria for 35g + 11gpt, with the Hittites for 80g and with the Mayas for 7gpt. (Don't want to risk loosing that redlined Army and also I want to join all three separate stacks for a combined attack on the remaining two Maya cities.)

IBT
1st variation on the theme of teleportation: Sumeria asks us to leave. Our Sumerian Army would jump back to Egypt, if I concede. I can't allow that, so I need to redeclare... Oh well, that was a shortlived peace...
The vulcano next to Elephantine is now active! :eek:

2. 780
Take Tlaxcala, no losses.
Land a couple of units and settlers on the Indian continent to persume my plan of grabbing some land there.

3. 790
Sell Hittites 5 luxes for 41gpt, France 1 lux for 3gpt, Rome 2 luxes for 17gpt.

IBT
Tlaxcala flips, taking with it 10 Kts that were there for healing and resistance quelling. Gosh.

4. 800
Immediately retake Tlaxcala and gift it to the Arabs (there were 2 stacks with 35 Aztecian units next to it...). Take Texcoco, no losses.

Declare on Korea and take Alesia. They had 5 spears in it! Good luck I had enough Kts in Celtia.
Declare on Egypt and destroy 11 spears and swords, 1 loss.

Make peace with China (they have many disturbing galleys sailing around, don't want to loose our precious freight.) Make peace with Russia and Babylon.

2nd variation on the theme of teleportation: in the last few turns I have been using "teleportation" a bit to my advantage: I landed settlers and Kts on the Indian continent next to Calcutta (which is Celtic right now). In the IBT the Celts always asked us to leave and kicked the units to the next free square in central India, saving me three turns of "walking on foot" (in case of the settlers). The Celts still have a second town: Chichén Itza, so as a test I walked a Kt into that territory, and indeed, it got kicked out promptly as well. This got me thinking. If we get kicked out, whenever we enter Celtic territory, then perhaps we also get kicked out, when the territory, where our units are, becomes Celtic?! I investigated the territory at the Mongolian-Greek border and found it suitable for the following plan:

If I manage to found a town where the red circles are, then move Tomar2 as indicated and found two more towns where the blue circles are, so that all tiles marked with a blue square are covered by Celtian territory, and also make sure, that our Greek Army is placed correctly so that it doesn't jump to the black square, then it should jump onto the Mongolian continent, once some of the Greek cities have been gifted to the Celts.

IBT
Vulcano at Elephantine erupts, but does not hit the town, phew.

5. 810
Take Tenochtitlan, 2 losses, and Teotihuacan, 0 losses.
Take Alexandria and destroy the remaining Egyptian units.
Our units in Mayaland are healed and unified, so I declare war on the Mayas.

IBT
6Kts are killed in Aztekia.

6. 820
Sell more luxes: Rome 3gpt, China 18gpt, Inca 1gpt.
Take Copán, loosing 1kT and our Army! :mad: How can a 9/13 Kt Army loose against a reg Javelin Thrower?? :confused: But good luck: Right the next elite Kt that attacks that Jav kills it and creates a new leader!

I spotted a musketman in Antium, so that makes an attack on Rome, quite difficult...

7. 830
After consulting with Ivan, I decide to not attack Rome and start directing all our forces (including the new Army) to Mongolia.

Take Sumer(Aztecian), kill a few more Aztecian units (don't want to have too many units left on the continent, in case a town flips and we have to renew the war) and then make peace with them.
Take Palenque, 1 loss. Kill a few more Maya units (leader hunting) and try to make peace, but they are not on speaking terms with us...
Trade more luxes for some cash.

IBT
Mongols land a pike and an MI near Grand River.

8. 840
Make peace with Egypt. Otherwise Elephantine and Alexandira can't grow to size 3 (unhappinesss).
Three Kts are not enough to clear out the Mongolian pike & MI: a 1/4 pike survives and it will take Iro2 next turn :(
Declare war on India to lure all their units into the killing zone, I created in the middle of the Indian continent. (I founded Neu São Paulo there, rushed a Wall and stacked it with 7 Kts, an MI, an AC and a horseman.)

IBT
As expected the Mongols take Iro2. The Indians move 15 units next to Neu São Paulo (a mixture of spears, horses and swords), 5 more can be seen on the border. Oops, I didn't expect that many... :eek:

3rd variation on the theme of teleportation: The Romans demand our galleys to leave their territory. They carry 14 Kts from our Aztecian campaign up north to Mongolia, so I don't want them to be kicked south again and therefore think a bit what to do. A war with Rome at that point may not be good either. But consulting the map in CivAssist shows, that they galleys will be kicked towards Egypt, and that's not too bad. So I say "my bad, won't happen again...", but unfortunately I double-click on that line, instead of clicking once. What happens is: the galleys are moved a few squares, which takes a second or so, then the next screen of the diplomatic dialog appears. Apparently the graphics system still "remembers" the second click of my double-click, and this activates the next screen's line at the same position, and at that position it said "Remove your troops or declare war!"... Unfortunately the Romans don't want to retreat, and so we are at war with them anyway... Well, perhaps not too bad: now I can at least settle towns in the northern part of Aztecia, which is under Roman influence... And we get "We love our Prince"-day everywhere...!
The Romans land 3 units in Egypt. That was quick indeed! But no problem for our Army.
Berlin finishes the Sistine Chapel.

9. 850
Take Ur, 9:3. Retake Iro2.
Land 6Kts, 3 pikes and a settler on a hill in Mongolia. Keep my fingers crossed that they will survive!
Kill 2 Legions in Celtia (which had already been there for a while) and the And the units they landed in Egypt.
Also kill 3 Indian horseman and a spear. Now it means "sit tight and hope the walls will fend off the swordsmen"...

IBT
Our Mongolian stack survives 12 attacks of MIs and Keshiks! The three pikes and three Kts die.
Sumeria lands two units in Egypt. More work for our Army...
Rome lands two Legions in America.
5 Indian swords kill themselves on the walls of Neu São Paulo, creating another leader! Ivan, you will have three Armys in Mongolia...!

10. 860
Found the town Mongol1 on Mongolian territory. 58 units (Keshiks, MIs, pikes) are currently visible. Not much I can do with three redlined Kts, so I make peace. I would have liked another beachhead on the western end of Mongolia as well, but that can't be done now.
Investigated the French capital Osaka: 7 pikes, a Longbow and an MI. And it's on a hill -- definitely not worth attacking that stronghold for a gain of only 5 tiles, so I give up my plan of relocating France to the former Persian Tundra island.

A Kt kills one Legion near Washington, but the templars are to far away, so the remaining Legion will take New Lisbon next turn.

IBT
Rome takes New Lisbon. They also land two MIs in Egypt.
The Indians kill one Kt in Neu São Paulo.
Copán flips and takes 4 Kts with it.

11. 870
Our Army in Egypt is still healing, so I need to land two of the Aztekian Kts temporarily in Egypt, and they kill the Roman MIs.
I retake New Lisbon, loosing one templar against a reg spear?! (Where did that spear come from, anyway? The galley, that had carried the two Legions, had moved into New Lisbon in the IBT, but that must have been empty!?)

12. 880
Take Lagash, loosing 1 Kt. Make peace with Sumeria. Retake Copán.
Make peace with Korea.
I gift Sparta, Lagos, Athens, Thermopylae, Tomar2a and Tomar2b to the Celts... The situation now looks as follows, and the Army should hopefully jump as indicated:

IBT
As expected, the Celts demand our troops to leave! Looks like the plan worked!
Grand River filps. Fortunately it was empty.
Rome lands 2MI in Egypt, yawn...

13. 890
But what is that? Our Army jumped to Greece1, even though that was much farther away??

Does the algorithm take connected components into account?!

Ok, I will give it one more try and gift the remaining Greek cities to Celtia as well.

Land 6 Kts in Pisae. The Egyptian Army destroys the two Roman MI.
We still get 6gpt from Iroquois, therefore I don't retake Grand River. Remember to retake it, when the deal expires!

Move the Army back into place, gift Tomar, Greece1, Braga2, Corinth and Guimarães to Celtia and then hit enter...

IBT
The Celts kick us out again...

14. 900
... and voilà: the Army is now in Mongolia.

If you are still busy, I will play another turn. (Would like to get our Greek cities back, before I hand the game over to you...)

Top Bottom