SGOTM3 Rome - Team Peanut

I've gotten a chance to load the save. Wow!! I'm not a total warmonger in my games, so I'm pretty impressed by all the units we now have stacked up in TWO very nice invasion sites!! The next set of turns will be lots of fun (but not for the AI)!! I also see that Russia and Germany have joined the list of "AI who are no longer soiling our fine Roman World".

We will need to bring some Workers over to connect our northern landing site with the road network (oops). We should also establish (as we push out), some outposts in Japanese territory (I figure somewhere between Tokyo and Kyoto) and Indian territory (near Bombay); these will provide convenient forward healing spots for our Cavalry. A Settler accompanied by some Cannons and lots of Legions will work to form these outposts. (And a 3rd one somewhere about 9 moves forward of our Aztec landing site, as well.)

We should build some more towns around our new Palace; the game wont last long, but Palace moves to another continent should be accompanied by forming a 2nd core around the new Palace. Otherwise the Palace move may run afoul of the GOTM's rule against the Rank Corruption Exploit.

Alright, we haven't seen Pelgegasus' turn log yet (11 turns BTW, but I think the extra turn allowed Peglegasus to complete the operations he was undertaking which is a good thing rather than trying to explain how to finish what he was in the middle of.) Who wants it next? Bigchief is up, but Keith and Peanut passed so I'd think any one of those three can claim the next set of turns.

Turn log 1255AD to 1305AD (oops. extra turn there)

I'm not detailing all unit moves because there are just too many units now!

Turn 0: move a few units around. Not much to do really. Everything looks good.

Turn 1: 1255AD: Attack Berlin. Able to take down 2 muskets but lose 3 cav! The rest of our cavalry all retreat, redlined. Berlin stands. Scramble a few more cavalry to try again in a turn or two. Hell, I'm bringing an army in, too!

Lots of units upgraded. Begin loading caravels at our northern rally point. Going with Civ Steve's suggestion of 1 settler, 2 muskets, 8 cannon, 2 partially loaded cav armies, 12 cavalry, and 6 legions. Look around for a centrally located northern frontier town to make our "sacrifice" and move our armies over to the new continent. New Hispalis looks good. Send all armies there, except the army deployed to Berlin.

Our leader is loaded onto a caravel for transport. I plan to drop him on the main continent since he will have a move of 9 on the roads. It still will take a few turns for him to get to the rally point.

IBT: A Russian longow outside Berlin shows off for his German buddies and takes out an elite cavalry. You'll get yours soon enough!

Turn 2: 1260AD: Odessa razed. Yakutsk razed. Russian settler party trampled. There is a new Japanese town in the far north. Send some legions that way. Cavalry army plus 3 fresh cav crush Berlin. Germany is now out of the game. There were 8 workers in Berlin.

Pop rush 4 horses.

IBT: Barbarians all over the north and on the dividing land bridge attack a few units but all defend. Lots of barbs all over. Quiet other than that.

Looking at my notes, this is where I accidentally did an extra turn.
Turn 3: 1270AD: The Japanese outpost of Toyama is razed by legionaries. 11 caravels begin the crossing to India.

IBT: Nothing other than barb activity.

Turn 4: 1270AD: Sverdlovsk razed. Pop rush 3 horses. Japanese galley drops off a settler and a samurai.

Turn 5: 1275AD: Patrolling legions ambush Japanese settler party. Samurai is redlined and retreats. Settler is destroyed. Our invasion force lands in India at the suggested landing site. Minsk is razed and Russia is no more! The Continent of Rome is now soiled only by one wounded samurai and an unknown number of barbarians.

I brace myself and prepare for the madness our landing party will face, take a deep breath, and hit enter.

IBT: 2 Indian cavalry attack the landing party. Muskets defend. Is that all? Another Japanese samurai and settler are dropped off.

Turn 6: 1280AD: Settler in landing party founds "Rome Conquers All" on the hill. I immediately realize it may have been a bad move. We aren't connected by any roads. The hills by Jaipur a little north might have been better. Oh well. It actually may help a little in our initial defense. Enemies will have to use an extra move if they attack and attempt to retreat.

There is another problem. Indian culture is a bit overwhelming and if our city flips... now that would just make me cry I think. We don't even have the full 9 tiles we would normally have within our border. Anthony isn't here yet to build the palace. He is a few turns behind. I wanted to get units here sooner rather than later and send the ships back quickly for reinforcements and for Anthony. So, I will boldly go for Madras. This should reduce the culture enough to prevent a quick flip. Load up cav army and attack Madras, killing musket and taking no damage. Vet cav kills musket. vet cav loses to war elephant. Vet cav kills elephant and razes Madras. All units but one are able to retreat to RCA. I feel much better now. Rome Conquers All should be safe from a culture flip.

Saltpeter pillaged. Pop rush 4 horses.

IBT: RCA defends against 1 samurai and 1 Indian cavalry.

Turn 7: 1285AD: Forces on the central dividing continent are trudging their way north. There really aren't any roads to speak of. Cincinnati is crushed. Attack Baltimore with 3 legions. All 3 fail! Pop rush 8 horses.

IBT: 2 Indian cav attack RCA and retreat redlined. Defense holding strong. The only thing I don't like about the defense is that the armies there are defending and taking lots of damage. I'd rather use them offensively, but at the same time I keep thinking that there have got to be a ton of enemies moving on this site, and I HAVE to hold it until Anthony can build the palace and we can move the rest of our armies over.

Turn 8: 1290AD: Salt peter reconnected. Upgrade 14 horses. Pop rush 3 horses. Use cannons in RCA to injure enemy units and then cavalry finish them and then retreat to the city.

IBT: 1 samurai and 3 Indian cavalry attack RCA. More units approaching. Heating up a bit now.

Turn 9: 1295AD: Super spearman in Baltimore defends against elite cavalry! Grrrr. Pop rush 5 horses.

Our armies in New Hispalis are fully healed now and ready for war. They have been joined by more cavalry, legions, cannons and a couple catapults. New Hispalis is renamed "Devoveo" for the sacrifice it's citizens will now make.

IBT: Now things getting messy at RCA. The armies are badly wounded after defending so well. RCA is attacked by 6 samurai and 1 Indian cavalry (I'm beginnig to think that Japan may not have saltpeter. Haven't checked the map though.) Armies are redlined, we lose 2 muskets and one cavalry. Some walls would be nice, but that's too small a job for Anthony, who arrives next turn. Anthony says: I can't be bothered with such trifles!

Turn 10: 1300AD: Reinfrcements arrive in RCA. Anthony rushes the palace. Cannons work on 2 samurai and a war elephant. Elite cavalries finish them all and retreat to the city. I'm finally able to take out Baltimore! It was becoming a real thorn in my side. India has built a new city south of RCA. We crush it.

IBT: 3 samurai attack RCA. All killed. Japanese galley attacks caravel off our NW coast and fails.

Turn 11: 1305AD: The palace is complete. Here goes!

In Devoveo we have 1 legion army, 1 knight army, and 7 cavalry armies. There are also 18 cavalry, 7 legions, and a bunch of artillery pieces. We gift Devoveo to the Aztecs... The gods look kindly on our sacrifice and our forces are now stationed in Rome Conquers All! We declare war on the Aztecs and Devoveo is destroyed. Our second invasion force lands on a hill next to Malinalco.

I use 4 armies to attack Bangalore. All of the Indian cavalry that managed to retreat headed up there. Armies find muskets defending, and then wounded cavalry and war elephants. Our attacking armies now look like this healthwise: 14/18, 10/18, 12/18, 4/18. 2 more lone cavalry finish the job... Bangalore is razed!

And that's all! Never in any game have I had a force like this. It's completely nuts! I hope I did a decent job setting the invasion up. It's something that I often have difficulty with. There are forces one tile north of RCA protecting a cannon I mis-keyed. They probably look odd there. I sent a bunch of cavalry south for a strike in that direction.

There are a few more units coming over on caravels, including three workers to build some roads around RCA. They should be able to do the job in just a few turns. Have a bunch of cities ready to bust out a settler in the next few turns so we can build around the palace to avoid fallout from possible rank corruption exploit claims. It didn't appear to me that the palace move really affected corruption much at all at home. I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that we are in Despotism.

I pretty much left America alone, other than marching a few units up the center divide and taking a couple cities. I figured the continental invasion was a bigger priority and America is in a pretty weak position at this point. I sunk a couple American galleys somewhere in those turns but didn't write it down. Think they were trying to get settlers back to the mainland.

There are legions and a couple cavalry scattered about the north to watch for enemy settlers and to hunt for barbs. They can also protect any settlers we send up there.

I took another look at the save and saw some things I should have taken care of.

After loading the caravels by New Viroconium I didn't wake them up and move them! They are carrying a few reinforcements and some workers. There is a Japanese settler in the NW that was jsut dropped off. There is a cavalry right there that can take care of him. New Antium(I think) is rioting because we keep forgetting to hook it up :blush: . And check F1 to see who is in danger of rioting. I didn't think about the fact that sacrificing Devoveo would give up our gems. We should get a settler up there soon. I think there's one a couple turns away actually.

There are caravels with reinforcements ready to land next turn in the Aztec lands. Should be enough cavalry to take Malinalco and probably 2 more towns down there. In the next turn we should aslo be able to take Calcutta and Jaipur.

Let me know if you guys notice anything else.

Was thinking about something else too. Maybe it's crazy, I don't know. I was thinking about the rank corruption thing . Do we really need a core on the new lands or could we just keep sending forces over to crush them? If we got a leader we could send him back to the mainland and move the palace again to a more acceptable spot that has already been developed. I think that would avoid accusations that we used the rank corruption exploit, which wasn't our intention at all. We just used the palace jump to jump our armies.

Good set of turns, Peglegasus! (Except for the Gem thing, but that's not a big deal really.) Since we know that Japan and the Aztecs had been at war in the recent set of turns, I didn't think the response to our landings would be overwhelming. And it is awkward that the Armies get to defend as much as they have to; still, there were plenty of other Cav units to clean up the plains around 'Rome Conquers All'. And you are on top of bringing Workers over to connect RCA to the local road network (a drawback, but being on the Hills was a definite requirement.)

I'd still build a bunch of Settlers, and either use a GL to bring the Palace back to, maybe the English-Babylon area and build in that area, or build up a 2nd core around the current Palace location. The game is nearly over; maybe the next 10 turns will do it!

Peglegasus, just to see what the effect was, could you post a screen shot of the F1 screens just before and just after moving the Palace to RCA? I wouldn't anticipate much benefit from the RCB when we're in Despotism, but this will tell us exactly what the effect on corruption was.

I'll be gone Saturday, coming back Sunday afternoon, so I wouldn't be able to play until Sunday night. So if Keith, Peanut or bigchief can play, please post a got it.

civ_steve said:
Peglegasus, just to see what the effect was, could you post a screen shot of the F1 screens just before and just after moving the Palace to RCA? I wouldn't anticipate much benefit from the RCB when we're in Despotism, but this will tell us exactly what the effect on corruption was.[/ QUOTE]

Actually I was just looking at this very thing with Ainwood's CivAssist program. It really didn't look like it had much effect in game, but it's actually rather dramatic when I check the saves with CivAssist. I will upload the 1295 save and the 1300 save and I recommend checking out Ainwood's cool program. To summarize: Before the move: 141 net gold per turn, 255 to corruption. After the move: 206 net gold per turn, 202 to corruption. Basically reduced corruption by 1/5th. I'd say that's pretty dramatic. It's hard to tell in game when you look at each city individually how much of an effect it had.

After looking at the save with CivAssist, I think we should move the palace back if we can.

Zipped autosaves, 1295AD and 1305AD
Ainwood's CivAssist

Well, our trip to Orlando has been cancelled; I have no idea why. ;) So I have some time to play today or tomorrow. No one else has spoken up, but I also have no problem waiting another day or two. OTOH, we are a team, and only Pelgegasus and I have played recently. We're just about done, and will be done well in time for the next SG. So should I wait, should I go, or maybe do 5 turns and pass it to someone else?

There was some kind of security breach at LAX today and all flights have been cancelled. Only inbound air traffic allowed, without releasing passengers once landed.

Yeah, we saw that report; it created a short break from the wall to wall Hurricane Frances coverage. Actually, we were going to drive down to San Diego for a quick weekend trip, but that was cancelled; I was joking about the Orlando trip. Frances is going to mess up a ton (as in pretty much all) of Labor Day holidaying in Florida. :(

Well, there hasn't been any postings in 3 days from other potential players, so I will play around 5 turns, since I have a little time today.

Alright, I played 6 turns (just to be a bit different, and to finish some stuff off). Here's the turnlog:

Turn 0, 1305 AD
Cav does in Japanese Pike/Stlr
Accumulate 3 Cav to attack American Island (doing in 2 Barbs in process)
Set up a bunch of Settler builds
Move Caravel Stack that was fortified

(IBT, India kills 3 loose Cav; 1 Indian Cav retreats from RCA
2 Aztec Cav are repulsed near Malinalco)

Turn 1, 1310 AD
Jaipur razed, losing 1 Cav
Calcutta razed, losing 1 Cav
New Orleans razed, and an Amer LongB run over (oops, 2 more LongB approach)
Malinalco razed; Rome's Aztec Landing Zone founded
Tzintzuntzen razed, losing 1 Cav
Tlaxcala razed, losing 2 Cav
Project into India and Aztecs

(IBT, lose 4 Cav to Aztecs; 1 to India, 1 to Iroq Knights)
(mass Barb-uprising near our outposts! India and Japan are IA!)

Turn 2, 1315 AD
Calixtlahuaca razed (losing 3 Cav)
Regroup all units at RALZ
Elite Cav doing in Aztec Cav generates a GL; form Army at RALZ
Madras, newly founded and razed
Delhi razed (losing 1 Cav)
Lahore razed by two Armies
Reform, with Cav Armies and Cav stacked together
Pillage Saltpeter

(IBT, lose 1 Caravel to Indian Caravel;
Sink a Japanese Caravel that Attacked
Lose 1 Cav to Aztec Cav
Repulse a Aztec Cav at RALZ
Several Samurai approach RCA
A Couple Aztec Cav approach RALZ
Indians land WE and Settler in NW)

Turn 3, 1320 AD
Cav does in WE and STLR
Miami is hit by Hurricane Rome
Tokyo is razed by 3 Armies, who move on to Yokohama
Sink Japan Galley and Indian Caravel
Road completed near RCA, now connected to Road Network
Regroup wounded Units and Armies in RCA
Cav Stack (with Army) approaches Bombay
Clear 4 Cav around RALZ
Cav Army and 8 Cav advance to suburbs of Tenochtitlan

(IBT, 3 Japan Samurai hurl themselves at RCA, and fall
7 Aztec Cav avoid our Cav Army Stack, and Attack RALZ, 4 Cav lose, we lose 1 Musket and 2 Legions
Barbs swirl around, but lose wherever they attack)

Turn 4, 1325 AD
16 Horsemen built, by Shield or pop-rush
Tenochtitlan is assaulted; 8 Cav attack first
-- 1st 4 Cav damage 4 Musket defenders, 3 retreat and 1 is lost
-- Next Musket is 3/3, so commit our Elite Cav, who wins and generates Titus!!
-- Next 3 Cav destroy 3 Wounded Muskets
-- Army kills last Musket, and razes Tenochtitlan, only lost 1 Cav
5 Aztec Cav adj to RALZ are cannoned and destroyed (losing 1 Cav)
Bombay is razed (lose 1 Cav)
Yokohama is razed, no losses but some pretty wounded armies
Destroy 1 Indian Cav, 1 Japan LongB and 3 Japan Sam near RCA
Regroup for protection

(IBT, we lose 1 Cav to Indian Cav
1 Japan Caravel suicides on one of ours
Barbs randomly decide to terminate their sorry existance)

Turn 5, 1330 AD
Terminate 2 Japan Sam's near RCA
Knight Army (providing Settler Caravan protection) runs over Indian Musket/Stlr
Bengal is razed; Indians have no Saltpeter now
Run over Japan LongB as Cav and Army form near Japan border
Heal and reform

(IBT, Indian Cav have no one they wish to engage
Aztecs lose 1 Cav attacking RALZ
Barbs mill around)

Turn 6, 1335 AD
Fukishima (just formed) is destroyed
Japan Sam near RCA is done in
Two Aztec Cav are run over
Tepetlaoxtec (just formed) is destroyed, losing 1 Cav
Rome's Indian Outpost is formed (taking Horses from India)
Karachi is razed by 3 Armies and 2 Cav
Saltpeter and Iron are reconnected; Upgrade Horses/Spears/Warriors

End of Turnlog

Status: The AI has reached the Industrial Age (so parts of the map are crawling with barbs!! So far they haven't made a serious dent in our defenses, so I'm leaving whatever perimeter Cav/Legions we have fortified in Mountains spaces, or in outpost cities.) There are no scientific civs left, so there are no Riflemen yet; it will be a lot easier finishing this game if we do it before Riflemen are being generated, so let's keep the pressure on. I think it's India/Japan/Aztecs, but one of them may not be there; Iroqouis and America still lag.

India has taken a major hit in the last few turns. They are down to 4 cities, and really only one productive one. And they have been deprived of Saltpeter and Horses. I believe I've seen 2 Indian Cav moving about between our Indian outpost city and Rome Conquer's All, so be on the lookout for those units.

Japan has lost a few cities, and lots of Samurai (they don't have Cav). A stack with a Cav army and about 10 Cav are moving towards Kyoto, but they are two turns away.

Iroqouis have been mostly unmolested so far, but they post the least threat, also.

Aztecs have lost several Eastern cities, and their Capital. They have thrown lots of Cav at us, so I believe they are nearly depleted of these units. 2 GL's have been generated here, so we now have 2 Armies to lead our units, and one Army with a stack of Cav is forward positioned (after razing a city Monte had just formed), and ready to advance.

Abe is down to 2 cities; a Caravel with 3 Cav are ready to land next to either one, and some other units are advancing from the South.

I've been positioning units along the Thin continent to be sure no one lands a Settler along there without having to meet Roman steel (or gunpowder). I don't have every spot covered, but there are a lot of barbs there to impede anyone who lands as well.

A Japanese Galley is advancing up our Eastern Coast; I have a leading Caravel in front of it, waiting for a Trailing Caravel to catch up so we'll have 2 for 1 on it. I've been moving units on our Eastern coast (2 Legions and a Cav) to match it. Another Japanese Caravel is moving down our Western Coast; might need to move units to match it as well.

Lots of Cav just upgraded in Cumae to transport to our Aztec Theater. Several Settlers are on automatic move to reach our load up spot to go to the Capital (so don't be too surprised when lots of Settlers start jumping around.)

In general, I've been stacking Cav with Armies; the AI usually doesn't attack an army in the field, and this way I lose fewer Cav. We are healing units in our Indian outpost city, and in RCA. We have an attack Cav stack in the South, and in the North, and a 3rd Army with Settlers moving out from RALZ to form a forward outpost in the center of Aztecia. I'd keep healing the Armies in RCA; then move about half up to clean up the Japanese quadrant, and the other Half South to finish off the Iroquois and Aztecs. Our RALZ is about to get a lot of reinforcements to push out. And I'd use the units healing in the Indian Outpost to finish off the Indians and those two Japanese cities to the West.

Keith is back up; but I'd say if Keith, bigchief or Peanut can take it, one of those three should be next.

1335 AD Save

I have a meeting tonight and a funeral to go to tommorrow evening and another meeting Thursday night. In other words, I have no free time until Friday. I am sorry about this team. If the game is still going I would like to play Friday or Saturday.

Keith, it looks like RL is keeping you on the sidelines. I think we may be able to stretch this to the weekend.

Peanut or bigchief? Are either of you available? If not, I'd suggest that Peglegasus play 5 turns or so, if he is available.

While we're waiting for the next set of turns (Keith this weekend if no one else steps up), I made a few screenshots to show our current status.

Here's our 1335 AD F3 screenshot, showing the minimap and our most significant military units. The Aztecs captured workers shows that they've had conflict with the Iroquois and Japanese.

Here's what's left of the Americans. We have 2 Cav on the ground and 3 in the Northern Caravel, so I think Abe's time is coming to an end soon.

This is our Northern Landing spot, in formerly Indian territory right on the border with Japan (but it's our territory now!!) A stack of 10 Cav with a Cav Army are advancing towards Kyoto (2 turns out), and there are several Cav Armies healing in Rome Conquers All. After finishing it's Walls, they should build Barracks next (faster healing for Armies), pop-rushing at the earliest opportunity (we've never left Despotism).

Recently we have focused on India; they are down to 4 cities. This outpost city formed at the Border between India and Iroquois territory will provide a place to heal in security, and keep the forces near the front. We can also intercept any units heading North. The Stack of Armies will be ready to rest after razing several Indian cities.

This is our 2nd landing zone, at the edge of Aztec territory. We've penetrated through to the former Aztec Capital and generated 2 GL's which formed Cav Armies. One Army is protecting a stack of Cav, and the stack is ready to take the current Aztec Capital (two turns); the 2nd Army is protecting a Settler/Musket/Cannon stack as it moves forward to form a forward outpost. There are two exposed Cav from razing a newly formed town; we might lose them but then again the Aztec have committed and lost many cavalry in attacking our troops; they might not have much more to send. We have about 16 more Cav to send over from the mainland to this spot.

Using the Cav Armies in the open to protect stacks of Cavalry has worked pretty well; the AI will send their Cav to attack our Landing Zone cities, which are well protected with Muskets, Legions and Cannons (and Cav armies, too), leaving our stacks alone to be offensive. Wounded Cav have enough movements to return to the Landing Zone city for healing; forward placed cities make this easier to do as the front moves forward.

There's been no change in game status for over 4 days. Keith, if you can play, please post a 'got-it'. (Or, anyone else? I'm finishing up GOTM34; if no one responds, I can take it later on this weekend, I think.)

I know I'm not part of the team, but this team is actually doing pretty good for the variant. I would like to see you all finish. Just rooting you guys on :hammer:

Thanks, Mauer! I'm certain we WILL finish, and possibly this weekend (which would give our team some time to review all the threads prior to the SGOTM4 release.) I've been more involved in the play recently than most of the team, so at this time I'm leaving the door open to the others to help finish this off. I know that one member has a serious personal family issue he is involved with, and that several others have had lots of RL tasks fall upon them; SGOTM is a fun pastime, but other responsibilities come first in priority. (Something about bills to pay, etc.)

I think if we really put the hammer down :hammer: , we have a good shot at finishing ahead of Xteam's final date. If so, only the Staff team might beat us out for dibs on first runner-up. Our scoring curve is unique on the Chart so I'd like to understand what sort of decisions we've made have caused that, in regard to the other teams.

lurker's comment:
mad-bax said:
The Gold Laurel will be awarded to the team that win by the victory condition of their choice in the fewest turns relative to the Jason best date for that condition.

civ_steve are you aware of this rule.
hint: the Jason calculator for GOTM 16 is available.

Yeah, thanks Mauer! I've been hanging out hoping to give some other teammates a chance to play, as it's been civ_steve and I the last few turnsets. It's been a fun game.

I think we might be able to just beat Xteam's date, but yes the staff team looks to be doing really well.

Hope all is well with everyone.

I am sorry no one else took my place the last four days. Given a four day period I probably could have gotten off my ten turns. I was just trying to keep things moving on, but it now looks like I slowed the team down. For this I am true sorry. The busyness of this past week has creep into this weekend for me as well and I am having to work today. I probably can get a few turns off this evening, but am OK with anyone else taking as many as they would like this day. I am just trying to be honest and upfront with everyone. As much as I hate letting you guys down, the reality is that I would let a whole lot more people down if I spend time playing a game right now. I hate making choices like this, but sometimes life is like that.

Keith: we understand; RL is just like that! :) If we were at a critical juncture or there were any key decisions to be made, we would have played through. Instead, we are at the end game; this game is over except for determining the final date. Please play tonight, as many turns as you feel you are able; if we hear from Peanut or bigchief they can play after; and if we don't then I'd suggest Peglegasus to go next. Good Luck!!

klarius: you make an intriguing point. Our victory condition (Conquest) has been determined for some time, and that wont change; there is quite a difference in best date for Conquest vs Domination, so depending on the victories obtained by the other successful Variant teams, we may have a shot at the Laurel. (We wont KNOW that until after we finish, which is an interesting element of the hidden thread aspect of SGOTM.) In the back of my mind I've assumed everyone was going for Conquest - What else would a good Xenophobe do? :D

Top Bottom