SGOTM5 - Team MOTH

pre-flight: I hate invading 1 tile islands, so I check peace with Zulu. They give both Tugela and New Zimbabwe for peace. They are now 1CC with us having tanks nearby. I check Scandinavia and they will give peace and ROP. I'll wait untill next turn when I have movement available.

IBT - We lose a destroyer. Entremont is captured. We lose some workers.

1966(1) - Get Peace and ROP from Vikings. Do some investigations. They are in a Democracy with massive war weariness (7-12 entertainers per city.) # of Infantry defenders per city: Oslo 4, Stockholm 3, Nidaros 5 + 2 Mech, Bjoervin 3 + 1 Mech, Shanghai 1, Uppsala 2 + redlined mech, Linkoping 2, Goteborg 2, Malmo 2 + Navy, Jonkoping 2, Vasteras 2, Entremont 1 Mech. An ROP survey of the countryside reveals lots of Workers, a 4 stack of Arty, 7 Viking guarded radar towers, manu Zulu guarded towers, 2 Barb camps, 2 Viking Infantry. Oslo is on a choke point, so I can't reach 3 cities on turn 1 of the ROP Rape. I wake every single unit on the island I can find and position to attack any city that has culture (the others can wait as we can get through the borders and attack in one turn.)

Cossacks are saved in reserve due to the 3 movement points incase I need just a little more push.

We have the following healed units ready for action:
13 Mech, 31 Tanks, 7 Armies, a few Misc Infantry, lots of bombardment units. 6 Key cities: Oslo, Nidaros, Stockholm, Bjoering, Goteborg, Uppsala. 22 Defenders in these cities. I hold on Nidaros and go for the other 5.

Order of Battle:
Arty Stack: 2 Mech defenders - positioned so that it can bombard Oslo, Stockholm, and Nidaros.
Viking Arty stack: 1 Mech to capture and then defend. Can Bombard Nidaros and Shanghai.
Viking Rubber (another way to stop them from building Tanks): 1 Marine, 1 Cossack
Carriers: Near Shanghai - can bombard Nidaros and Boergvin.

Uppsala: Army and 3 Tanks with 1 Mech backup
Goteborg: 3 Tanks and an Army with 1 Mech backup
Stockholm: 6 Tanks, 1 Army, 3 Mech
Oslo: 9 Tanks, 2 Army, 3 Mech
Bjoerrvin: 9 Tanks, 2 Army, 3 Mech

Ready - set - go!

bombing knocks down defenders at least somewhat.

Upsala - taken with no damage - razed.
Goteborg - captured with 50% damage to army - its got a barracks so I sit for now.
Oslo - captured with 50% damage to both armies.
Stockholm - razed with limited damage to army, but lost a tank and redlined a second.
BJoerrvin - razed with heavy damage to both armies.

Lose a couple tanks to an Infantry clearing a path to Linkoping. Lose a tank attacking Linkoping, but it is razed.
Lose a Mech at Shanghai but raze it with the next.
Lose a Tank at Vasteras but Raze it.

An Elite 1 mp tank goes hunting Vikings in nuetral territory and Trotsky arises from the battle. I will form another Tank Army with the tanks that were just airlifted in.

End of turn 1: Vikings have 3 Cities and Zulu have 1.

IBT - 1 town riots since I moved all the units out. Oslo riots.

1967(2) - Capture Malmo. Attack Zulu city and kill 2 units but two tanks redline and retreat. 1 Dies. Capture Entremont. Capture Nidaros using everything that could reach it and the Vikings are destroyed. Zulu city has 3 Infantry and is starving. We get another leader capturing Nidaros.

End of turn 2: Zulu have 1 city.

1968(3) Attack Zulu with everything that can reach. We get it with the last unit that was not red lined.

IBT - Barbs kill some workers. WE WIN!!!! We are Catherine the Conqueror.

I've attached the pre-win save if you want to play through the replay yourself.

Firaxis score: 2479
Jason score: 2234
Time played: 128:20:41
Game status: Conquest Victory for Russia

Pre-win save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm5/MOTH_SG005_AD1968_01.SAV
Post win save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm5/MOTH_SG005_AD1969_01.SAV

I've been too busy too right up the spoilers, so if anyone has the time, please feel free to right one up.

Very nice work there by all. I was surprised how fast things rolled, relatively speaking, once we broke from our bridgehead at Gandastagion. All those MGLs and our stranglehold over the oil supply certainly helped. Oil as it turned out was very important, as the AI couldn't build much in the way of mech troops. We finished just in time to start SGOTM6! Good luck to everyone, wherever you end up.

This game was one of the toughest I've seen.

The early, nasty barbs, the number of opponents, the diplomatic complications.....not to mention the cold rock we started on.

Well done all.

And kudos to m-b the designer for wrapping every single element into a deceptively simple package.

Thanks to all team members and mad-bax for a fun game. I'll be sitting out SGOTM 6 due to lack of time, but hopefully I'll see you all again in future SGs.

Top Bottom