SGOTM7 - Team jeffelammar

Sounds like Jeff was watching Galaxy Quest over the weekend.

I agree with his assessment however. The last AWx game I played was the SGOTM with Rome and in the end we were facing Infantry with Legions, LB & Cannon and barely hanging on. Winning at diety in an AW game is no easy task regardless of the tribe or map.

I'm looking forward to reading Jeff's write-up and to SGOTM8. I saw AlanH has a couple of new ideas in mind for this one.

Just for interest, here's a couple of things I learned this game:

1. The Bikini Babe trick - Giving the AI something to chase after to allow safer landings
2. The loot & pillage a non-target technique - Sending an Army to disconnect resources & his capital well before landing reduces the AI ability to expand, research and build quality units.
3. The Big Bad Body Guard method of landing, by using a healthy Army for support, countless units can me safely landed for assault on the AI.
4. I didn't realize the coastal tiles counted towards the domination limit.
5. Sufficient bombardment & a couple of attackers (even obsolete ones) can capture most cities.
6. Enemy fleets can be chased home by well placed shore batteries.

jeffelammar said:
The only thing I can point at that was a collossal messup was the first Arab Invasion, and I want to stress that although Whomp did the turn set, the plan was drawn up and agreed to by most of the team. I know I hold myself as responsible for that one as anyone.

Never Give up, Never Surrender.
:blush: There was an army and a MGL on that turnset that got squished.

If I had it to do over I think I would've explored a little more around their island to see if there was a better landing site. There was plenty of jungle on our island so it would've made sense they had the same.

We were a little short handed without Bed Head which slowed the most important aspect for me which is the dialogue.. Bed Head and Doc were probably our most experienced AW players.

Reading Team Wacken's report they had it figured out before the game started that we'd be alone with horses and iron. That made for a pretty strong start for them.

Hopefully you guys won't exile me to Team Bonehead for SGOTM8.

I'm pretty proud that we won the game. It played very much to my weaknesses - managing the military and orchestrating boat transportation. Most of the stuff on denyd's list of things learned goes on my list, too. I'll also add putting units in regular boats and covering them with empty vets to avoid losing the units.

I'm also pleased that we pulled together when things didn't go our way, instead of degenerating into fights about what we should have done. We made plenty of mistakes, but we pulled it out. :)

Congrats team :goodjob:!
Never saw a Sipahi, too bad.
Actually, I think we did a pretty good job. We didn't try any high-risk gambits, that's why we weren't exactly the fastest to finish - but we played really solid. I think we never were in serious troubles throughout the whole game...
So, we may have made some minor tactical or MM errors, but our overall strategy was very sound. I'd even say our approach would have worked out well on a much less favorable map as well; and I think some of the faster teams may have faced more problems then (if for example we wouldn't have been alone, or lacked a crucial resource). And we did use some pretty neat tricks (like getting most of our income for a long time from recapturing Konya :lol: ).
I'm looking forward to SGotM8 - I'm not entirely sure if I actually can find the time, but if I do, I'd like to stay in that team.

Just realized that we don't have a spoiler up. (Guess I forgot about that)

I'll try to write something in the next couple days.

Hmm, Ottomans, what should the theme of the spoiler be???

Guess we forgot the spoiler.

Just a fyi I will be out of town at the start of this game from Aug. 3rd to Aug. 6th.

Top Bottom