Shadowrider question

icarussc

Chieftain
I can't seem to train Shadowriders, and I'm not sure why . . . the description in the Pedia entry says that they have to be built in a city that has Esus, which several of mine do, but I am unable to either upgrade to or build Shadowriders (even in the city with Nox Noctis). This makes me sad, since they look awesome.

I'm playing Grigori, so Esus isn't my state religion; is that the problem? The Pedia entry seems to be pretty clear that Esus isn't required as a state religion, only a city religion. What am I missing?

Shadowriders are the only unit (well, except for the CoE hero Gibbon) that actually requires you have the Council of Esus as your state religion in addition to having it in the city.

CoE seems a little unclear to me, i read a strategy guide about using CoE and assassins etc but it took me a little while to figure out how to get their special spell (called Hide or Stealth or something?)

Mask is the CoE-specific recon spell, available to units with CoE religion not just t those of CoE state religion. It grants the unit Hidden Nationality.

Steal is another CoE specific recon spell, which also requires CoE state religion. It lets you steal equipment from rivals in the stack, and can cause war.

Stealth is a promotion that Ghosts, Rathaus Denmora, and Krakens have that lets them gain cast Hide to gain Hidden promotion, which grants invisibility and a first strike but wears off from combat and casting.

Kidnap is a Svartalfar-specific recon spell that lets you steal Great People settled in rival cities. The AI rarely if ever settles GP though, and I'm not sure I know of anyone ever actually being able to use this spell, at least in single player games.

There you go, mask.

Edit: hmm kidnap, could that be useful against Sidar?

I managed to kidnap a great merchant a while ago, but that's the only time I've ever had the oppurtunity.

@kidnap

Usually good or evil civs have at least a prophet or two settled somewhere. At least in most of my games.

Steal is another CoE specific recon spell, which also requires CoE state religion. It lets you steal equipment from rivals in the stack, and can cause war.

I noticed a back in .33 that steal could take the shield of faith promotion as well.

Kidnap is a Svartalfar-specific recon spell that lets you steal Great People settled in rival cities. The AI rarely if ever settles GP though, and I'm not sure I know of anyone ever actually being able to use this spell, at least in single player games.

I'm playing a game right now as the Svart's and have abducted a total of 9 Great Prophets & 1 Great Engineer, sadly the Sidar were a close by neighbor and were slaughtered by the barbs early, otherwise I may have managed a bunch more...granted I've started 12 wars trying to abduct them all, but the altar of Luonotar has never been this easy...not mention all the free holy city wonders ;p

Seems to me the AI settles them quite often, the problem is possibly more specific to the type of Great People they pop out, if the AI is going heavy on Scientists you won't find any, because they'll be dropping academies, if they're doing Engineers only way they'll settle them is if there are no wonders left to build. Merchants are uncommon because they'll usually send them out for a big cash bonus and Bards seem to be common as well in border cities with a heavy culture threat nearby, Prophets seem to be the most commonly settled...this is on Prince however, perhaps higher difficulty levels they're less common because more often than not they will be able to use them in other ways.

To me it seems they are used for golden ages very, very often.

Top Bottom