Share your thoughts on each Civ Unique strengths

I'll concede that calling the end-results an indirect effect is more apt.

You assume I added +2 food from the base Water Mill when explaining the advantages of the Floating Gardens. Incorrect.
I've only talked about the 15% food bonus and -1 maintenance.
The Floating Gardens has another bonus, but its too situational to matter.

You assume the library and water mill are mutually exclusive. Incorrect. You can have both. And since the library's basic function requires population to make use of it, the water mill makes the library even better.

You assume happiness is a premium. Incorrect. Happiness is abundant and now that I'm more familiar with the mechanics, I can't grow fast enough to shake off excess happiness.

I didn't assume any of those things. I simply laid out the difference based on what buildings we were comparing - which was Paper Maker, and Floating Gardens. Regardless of how many pop you have, having Paper Makers means the other guys is better incentivized to spread his Libraries around, so his base science is better. He might also have Water Mills. Same thing.

You could have some libraries in your cities, but since they cost hammers to build and money to maintain, you're more incentivized to just make more pop for science using Floating Gardens. Again, just as I said.

I never said that either library or water mills were exclusive.

As for happiness, perhaps you just don't put enough emphasis on food? I've had 13 of the 15 possible luxuries, multiple Natural Wonder bonuses, Colosseums and Circuses everywhere, and Social Policies to help, and I'm still straining against the happiness cap most of the time. It's gotten so that I'm rushbuying Theatres!

Whenever I see the happiness potentially going over 10, my instinct isn't to go out and bash heads - my instinct is to get more food ASAP.

Also, I didn't say that happiness was at a premium. I said that Civs with food bonuses (like Siam) will value happiness more, because they can grow faster. "Put a premium" - value it more.

Top Bottom