Shogi

Itstoearly

Chieftain
Seeing as we have some avid chess players in here, I was wondering if anyone had ever played (or even heard of) shogi. Shogi is a cousin to chess... they are both descendants of the Indian game chaturanga. (Mods- since this is a chess variant, I hope this is an acceptable thread to put in the chess forum)

Some of the differences between chess and shogi:
Shogi is a 9x9 board.
Shogi has 20 pieces per side.
In shogi, pieces that enter the opponent's "camp" can be promoted.
In shogi, captured pieces are not permanently out of play. A player may use a captured piece as their own, deploying it anywhere on the board they like (called a "drop").

Check out Wikipedia for general info, 81Dojo for a good community website, and Hidetchi's Youtube channel for an excellent video series on how to play shogi.

My Brother introduced me Shogi. Once you remember which movement each piece does,you'll see that is deeper than chess,because the "drop" of the pieces allows so many strategies,that would be virtually impossible to computers calculate all the games possible(and that's a good thing). I think if someone redesign the pieces of Shogi to be easily identified for those who haven't learned kanji, it would be more popular.

Top Bottom