Should Coast Tiles Yield an Extra Production for Balance?

Should Coast Tiles Be Modded?

• Yes This Idea is Good

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Coast Tiles Suck But I Wouldn't Make This Change

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Coast Tiles Are Fine the Way They Are

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
I do miss how Civ5's maritime buildings gave production to sea resources. I was a bit disappointed there is only 1 food and 2 gold for sea resources in the harbor in Civ6; while I really love the shipyard's mechanic, I could see how the fact that we lost the extra fishing boat hammer was hard on our coastal cities. I think if one were to add that, though, it best be applied to fishing boats and not just sea resources generally. That's only 2-3 production in a decent coastal city, but it would make the fishing boats feel more substantial. (While leaving coast tiles where they are.)

Personally, I think they should change fishing boat improvements to +1 production, +1 food at Cartography, and +1 food at Plastics. Then with this buff change God of the Sea to +1 Faith.

Shouldn't it be -1 Food with Plastics?
Plastic garbage is a huge problem for fishery and impacts real world harvest of seafood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Plastic waste is only such a large problem because of how essential plastics have become for packaging.

I'm hardly an expert on current food production and distribution, but it seems to me that cheap plastic packaging and containers have had a large positive impact on food availability in modern economies.

Here's a compromise I did with my District Overhaul Mod:

Have the Shipyard grant +1 Production to Coast tiles. The Harbor is otherwise unmodified and it's already a very strong district in regular Rise and Fall.

Shouldn't it be -1 Food with Plastics? Plastic garbage is a huge problem for fishery and impacts real world harvest of seafood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

I'm just going off what's currently implemented in-game. If Civ VI ever adds global warming / environmental emergencies, I'd like to see this kind of problem implemented in some way.

Have the Shipyard grant +1 Production to Coast tiles. The Harbor is otherwise unmodified and it's already a very strong district in regular Rise and Fall.

I wouldn't mind seeing this. Though I would probably nerf Auckland slightly to provide +1 Production to Coastal tiles, and +1 Production to Ocean tiles starting from the Industrial era. I would also change the Seaport to +1 Gold to all water tiles controlled by the city.

Last edited:
Top Bottom