Should DoC have a multiplay version?

Ideally yes, but imo it's so low priority that we won't see it for a decade at least.

RFC MP is a separate mod that lacks some of the features of normal RFC, because they aren't compatible with multiplayer. Some of the DoC features I have added would also not be multiplayer compatible. Therefore it isn't as easy as merging the code from RFCMP.

I think eventually it would be possible to support multiplayer in DoC, at the very least with hotseat. However, implementing that is not a priority.

RFC MP is a separate mod that lacks some of the features of normal RFC, because they aren't compatible with multiplayer. Some of the DoC features I have added would also not be multiplayer compatible. Therefore it isn't as easy as merging the code from RFCMP.

I think eventually it would be possible to support multiplayer in DoC, at the very least with hotseat. However, implementing that is not a priority.
Can let me study and to make it?

If you're asking if you are allowed to make it, feel free to go ahead.

If you don't know how, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
I have idea how to start (It's still important to learn C++ and Python) : open mod ini file and turn multiplayer on. Then load mod and load a scenario with multiplayer, then see what happens, what goes wrong, etc. (Remember to turn on Python logging and exceptions)

Last edited:
I have idea how to start

I think that a better starting point would be to look for any RFC/DOC-specific references to active player or human player in the code and reimplement those parts in a way that supports multiple human players.
But yeah, for people who are not already somewhat comfortable with BTS modding and don't also have some knowledge about the structure of DOC, adding multiplayer to DOC is simply way too hard a task.

The main issue is that all popups/dialogues are not synchronised. Neither are mechanics like congress and various historical events which assume one human player who is currently active.

I have idea how to start (It's still important to learn C++ and Python) : open mod ini file and turn multiplayer on. Then load mod and load a scenario with multiplayer, then see what happens, what goes wrong, etc. (Remember to turn on Python logging and exceptions)
Since multiplayer is already possible to some extent with turning on cheating in the ini file with the only big problems being that the ai would change your civics and your queued unit actions wouldn’t get done (as I saw in a 2015 thread) shouldn’t it be easy enough for someone to code a mod that disallows the ai of certain civs to change civics and moves queued unit actions to the front of the turn or something? Sure some features like congress wouldn’t work but beggars can’t be choosers I really want to play RFC DOC multiplayer lol.

What would even be the point of multiplayer RFC? The massively asymmetrical nature of the mod means there are so few opportunities for meaningful two player interaction and if you do get it (like Russia vs HRE for example) it would be vanilla with less replayability and even more focus on aggro strats

Clearly everyone is thinking too big: start small.
Play two simultaneous games next to each other, worldbuild in the other player's actions. Differences with AI civs? Perfectly normal, anyone used to Civ V and VI multiplayer is familiar with desyncs. Correct with WB if needed, or alternatively just enjoy the chaos.

What would even be the point of multiplayer RFC? The massively asymmetrical nature of the mod means there are so few opportunities for meaningful two player interaction and if you do get it (like Russia vs HRE for example) it would be vanilla with less replayability and even more focus on aggro strats
Cuz it'd be cool to play through history with and/or against your friends.

Top Bottom