Should I build improvments early game? I'm having a lot of trouble with barbarians pillaging

Ellye

Warlord
I'm feeling like the investment in training an early worker isn't really paying off, as the worker spends a dozen turns building something that usually won't last even half of that before getting pillaged.

I try to leave enough military units around to stop barbarians from spawning too close or from moving into my territory too freely, but they usually just ignore my units and pass by. I can't initiate combat against them - it's always a death sentence, I have to hope that they initiate combat against me instead (so I get all defense bonuses and all that).

I usually build all my pastures before switching to Pastoralism and/or Slavery. Remember it will take some time to get high populations, so you only need 1-3 improved tiles per city.

This sounds more like a barbarian problem rather than a build order question. What are you using to fight them, and what do they have?

Maybe something wrong with your settings ?

Normally there's a fairly long period with just animals roaming around and you should be able to produce several workers and military units to protect them by the time barbarians appear, in my experience...

Last edited:
I try to leave enough military units around to stop barbarians from spawning too close or from moving into my territory too freely, but they usually just ignore my units and pass by. I can't initiate combat against them - it's always a death sentence, I have to hope that they initiate combat against me instead (so I get all defense bonuses and all that).
You need to be more active on attacking the barbarians. Are you using warriors? They're a waste of hammers, rush Woodworking and start building militia, who are much more able to take on the barbarians, especially if you stack them for benefits. Some of them will still die, but the ones that win will get some good exp that will let them continue winning, and that's the key to controlling the territory. Get a few promotions on a unit and it becomes much easier to handle.

I went back to a turn 167 save of my current game, 1860 BC,

I had 6 workers for 2 cities apparently, 2 militia, 2 irregulars, 1 scout, archer and a spearman, with horse about to be brought on line.

Some of the things I did to keep the barbarians at bay include, build walls, use a spy to watch my southern border, group weak units with others for mixed arms bonus, use workers as scouts, and ultimately set up a small campaign to settle the northern woods which were the main spawning ground for barbarian units...

I was definitely helped by the map which allowed me to expand into my 'natural borders' quickly.

Last edited:
Are you using warriors? They're a waste of hammers, rush Woodworking and start building militia, who are much more able to take on the barbarians, especially if you stack them for benefits.
I think that's what I might be doing wrong, as I do build quite a few Warriors before researching Woodworking.

Thanks for all the replies, they gave me some ideas.

I went back to a turn 167 save of my current game, 1860 BC,

I had 6 workers for 2 cities apparently, 2 militia, 2 irregulars, 1 scout, archer and a spearman, with horse about to be brought on line.

Some of the things I did to keep the barbarians at bay include, build walls, use a spy to watch my southern border, group weak units with others for mixed arms bonus, use workers as scouts, and ultimately set up a small campaign to settle the northern woods which were the main spawning ground for barbarian units...

I was definitely helped by the map which allowed me to expand into my 'natural borders' quickly.
6 workers for 2 cities in 1860 BC? Now that's ambitious!

I had great plans for this game yes, the great agrarian revolution, Inca peons to conquer the world :lol:

No tbh, it is still the first game I started the night version 3.55 was posted, it was a lousy start, on a small peninsula blocked to my south by the Hungarians, barely enough room or food for 2 good cities, 3 strong rivals on separate continents, a long slog to get near any kind of victory.

But the save is called 'Hawkwood' so I'm somewhat reluctant to just give up and start a new game, I decided to bunker down and see what the AI will throw at me...

Edit, that being said - sometimes building a new/extra worker is more efficient than building military to protect one or scout, same goes for work boats.

Last edited:
Just want to update here with a "thank you"!

Rushing for Militia instead of Warrior seems to have solved my issues indeed, allowing me to be more proactive in clearing out barbarians that get too close.

Reactions: [Y]
Top Bottom