1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Should I buy GS?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Knightfall, May 10, 2019.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'm sure they're thinking in terms of the bottom line. As a consumer the results aren't always good from that.

The annoying thing about tablets vs the UI is that there's no need to neglect good or even competent UI conventions for PC use just because you put the game on a tablet. Hotkeys don't hinder tablet use at all, and poor information presentation is just as bad on handheld devices as it is on a monitor. If anything, reducing number of inputs/turn should have more impact on tablet players than PC gamers, because each action on a tablet is more costly in terms of time/effort to do it.

It's already annoying to back out of a trade screen to check things relevant to that trade for example. This doesn't become any less inconvenient on a tablet...it's likely proportionately more inconvenient. Same for when unit pathing screws up and you're forced to re-do orders over and over despite the entire path being safe...I don't see any benefits this grants to porting Civ 6 to other devices. Best I can tell, it's crappy on PC and remains so on other devices.

I get that the GUI presentation takes some hit from tablets, but there are *so many* things that are just globally bad with the UI in Civ 6. Misinformation, hidden information, unit pathing, city queues, city list/management in general, unit movement/pathing/input buffering...I don't care if they're releasing it for a quantum computer, a gameboy color, or as the next version of Skyrim. Civ 6 still uses bad UI conventions regardless.

jdevo and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  2. orasis

orasis Prince