Should I pre-order Civ 6 if I'm a Mac user?

Happiness

Chieftain
I'm thinking if the Mac version is released after 90 days from the PC version, then there is no incentive to pre-order, right? Everyone including the Mac users get to play Aztec by then, right?

Also, would the price be cheaper if I wait until the Mac version is out?

It may go on sale since there have been several preorder 'sale' offers as well. Several 10% and the occasional 20%er. So it really shouldn't matter if you pick it up before or after since they should be the same, although (if I was in that boat) I'd grab it before at one of the discount prices just so I didn't get stuck later having to wait for a sale or not.

When Civ5 was released, I found a deal on the price from a MAC store and purchased it. When I registered it on STEAM, they allowed me to download a Windows version. I believe it is still the same.

So he could pre-order, play it under windows, if he has access to a Windows machine, and then change to MAC when it is released.

I'm thinking if the Mac version is released after 90 days from the PC version, then there is no incentive to pre-order, right? Everyone including the Mac users get to play Aztec by then, right?

Also, would the price be cheaper if I wait until the Mac version is out?

I'm not sure they've answered the question, but it seems reasonable that if the mac version comes out 90 days later, the aztecs will be unlocked for us. As other have said though, if you use bootcamp, parallels or have access to a windows machine you can play on windows until the mac version is available. As much as I dislike windows, I do use bootcamp just for this reason.

As to the price, it's anyone's guess...

I don't believe in the same date release, but I doubt it takes 90 days until it is released for mac. Last games I bought were between a week and two after the windows release.

I do not know about the contracts right now, but as there are no specific versions for each platform, Steam was deciding what version you bought (and who would get your money) by the amount of time you played on each platform in a time interval after the purchase. So if you buy Civ 6 and start playing on Windows until the Mac/Linux version arrives, the people who do the port might not get any money and might decide to not do any ports in the future.

I am not sure what happens if you preorder the game now and wait until the Mac version is out to start playing, but to ensure that the developers get compensated for their porting work you might want to wait with ordering and playing until the Mac version is released.

GameAgent is a Mac shop and will sell you a Steam code. They're owned by Aspyr.

Top Bottom