1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

shyuhe-5 - re-learning civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by shyuhe, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Ralph_Jackson

Ralph_Jackson Emperor

Yes IMHO
    HRE. IMHO

Ralph :D

2. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Indeed. HRE is up.

Roster
    GreyFox just played
    Paulus III - UP (and posted got it)
    Corneh MIA
    Ralph_Jackson (on deck)
    shyuhe just played

3. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

Inherited turn + IBT: Nothing happens. I'd like a bit more carriers to get improved recon/naval battle capability, yet on second thought we have enough islands scattered across the globe as aerial bases - and once we land in the HRE we have forward bases. We need to remember that Charle already has flight, though.

Turn 310:
    Western army ready? Check.
    Eastern army ready? Check.
    Home defense ready? Check.
    Recon sweeps show anything we should be worried about? No.

... ALL SYSTEMS GO!

We declare on Charlie.

Army West lands 1S of Nuremberg, destroyers bomb then get the hell out of there... no wait, they're staying in HRE coastal waters as to get the coastal bonus since we're not getting out of range anyway. Wish I could get to Egypt, though.
    Army East lands 1W of Pi-Ramesses, we sink a destroyer to get the GG. The fleet moves away to Ethiopian territorial waters because Charlie is not allowed to enter Ethiopia. Nyah nyah nyah nyah...

IBT:

Charle attacks Army West and kills an Infantry, but we kill several pieces of artillery and the cavalry.

Ramesses builds the Manhattan Project. Eep.

Turn 311:

An army of Charlemagne has landed on the shores of Diryabakir. Behold, as the recruits stare in wonder. Then, suddenly, their gazes turn to terror.

For it's...
    It's...

THE HOLY ROMAN ELEPHANT BRIGADE!

Despite the terrifying appearance of the Holy Roman Elephant Brigade, we manage to take both Nuremberg and Pi-Ramesses. Charle doesn't want to talk yet. I airlift troops in, no planes yet because I've got no idea where Charle's SoD is.

Also, I change research to Fission. You're not going to be the only one with nukes, Ramesses. Mwuhahahahaha....

Turn 312: Florence falls to Army East. Not much to be said. Airlift, queue new troops, recon sees nothing, blah blah blah.

Turn 313: Aachen falls to Army West. He's still not willing to talk. His SoD is probably AWOL. Airlift, queue new troops, recon sees nothing, blah blah blah.

Turn 314: Charlemagne surrenders.

I think it's all for the best to have him capitulate now, especially seeing as we've got a war against Zara/Ramesses coming up. If we want to beat up those two efficiently, we want as much ground as possible under Charle's culture than Zara's, or Ramesses for that matter.

Now we're out of war and in full buildup mode, I decide to fire off a Golden Age with the two GP's in the capital. It's now or never, guys.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 315: Fission is in and I immediately queue up some nukes. It never hurts to have some...

well, not US, at least. :D
    (Yes, I know that was a poor joke. Couldn't resist making it, though. Plus, evil laughter goes so much better when you have nukes... it's just more fun. Bwu-ha-ha-ha-ha...)

Five turns of buildup further and I think we're ready to take them on. We've got two big stacks, both in range of Zara's stack which he has foolishly placed in a former Holy Roman city. Unfortunately, that means we cannot nuke it - but conventional means will do as well. Oh, we're Secretary-General as well. I don't know if we have enough votes with us, Charlie and Joao combined. Nor do I know if we want to win that way.

Ramesses is less powerful. There's a sub in range to throw some tactical nukes on him.

Concerning the nukes: Yes, they're maybe impractical.. but it's just so much fun. We can go the diplomatic victory or domination/conquest victory route: they're useful for either. There's really no better way to end off a good game.

RJ: There might be some planes leftover on the main island, if you want some airpower you can take them to the HRE cities. You can move the nukes as well to where you see that they are more practical. But most of all, Have Fun. :D

I assume these are my last turns. I think I might as well congratulate everybody with the victory and thank them for a good game already. ;)

Attached Files:

4. Ralph_Jackson

Ralph_Jackson Emperor

Looking good - enjoyed the report and nice incisive warring their Paulus.

With a bit of luck I can play a few turns and give Shyuhe the honour of finishing the game off!!

I think I will stick with my personal "no first use" doctrine which means no pre-emptive nuclear strikes versus Zara / Ramesses.. Now of course if they nuke us then the gloves are off!!

Ralph

5. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

:lol: Love the report. Have fun Ralph and leave some for me :)

6. Ralph_Jackson

Ralph_Jackson Emperor

Well I didn’t do any warring whatsoever but as we are teetering fairly close to domination wanted to leave that pleasure to Shyuhe..

So basically I spent turns arranging forces and airlifting as much as I could for a fairly brutal surgical strike versus Zara. This was helped immensely by him unfortunately having borders where we can camp stacks in our territory but adjacent to his cities so we can attack as soon as Shyuhe declares.

Now on the Island the borders weren’t so kind but his cities are poorly defended and this stack should take care of them.

Now on his mainland he has a poorly defended coastal city which should fall straightaway.

A lightly defended central city that should go likewise.

And two cities in the south one of which is lightly defended and shouldn’t be a problem but Pisa has a genuine Stack of Doom in it.

If you think we still don’t have enough (his stack is big!!!) you can wait one more turn for the 6 tanks I have just airlifted in to Augsburg add more punch..

And of course if all else fails we have our in Emergency Break Glass stuff lurking nearby...

So Shyuhe, I think you are ready to go for an immediate war declaration and you will hopefully get 4 cities straight away and he should fairly soon capitulate.

Oh yes for the avoidance of doubt, yes I haven’t MMed a thing, there are sleeping GP’s and workers all over the shop and lost of other no –nos’ dotted throughout our Empire but I think it is time for Shyuhe to finish this one off!!

Thanks for a great blast of a game!!

Attached Files:

7. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Oooo..... I think I see fun toys in that last screenshot :devil:

Got it and I'll wrap it up tonight or tomorrow.

8. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

So I'll let the pictures do the talking:

A silly event:

I got two :mad: I'm not about to waste these puppies!

This is when Ramesses capitulates:

Pushing us over the domination limit. So I let loose the ICBM's:

Zara unfortunately wouldn't talk :( Otherwise we could have gotten conquest. For the record, he was willing to talk on the turn after victory. Here's the final power graph:

I didn't use nukes until after I killed Zara's SoD. Here's the kill count:

And the final score:

I (luckily) got the auto-save on the turn of victory. So feel free to add it to your personal hall of fame :) Thanks for the great game you guys! I think I've re-learned how to play civ again :lol:

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

You must attach the save you luckily have in order for us to do that ... before it get overwritten.

But anyway, great game. Although the start is a bit bland, it actually helps us with Boudica being weak but nearby for us to swallow her ... after she was annexed into the Zulu empire, the rest is relatively straightforward and easy.

The critical decisions were IMHO the building of TLG and the spamming of settlers. The food-rich capitol helped in this aspect as food counts towards settler builds and allow us to compensate for the no-growth while producing the settlers. I think we made the decisions that was best for given start.

Kudos to the team!!!

10. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Oh I thought I had attached the save. I guess not. I'll have to deal with that tonight before it gets overwritten!

And yes I think you're right about the GLH Fox. That definitely made the difference in this game as it allowed us to endlessly spam settlers. It's unfortunate that it's such an unbalanced wonder but it definitely lets you deal with cruddy starts like the one we got.

Next up, a variant game... Would any of you be interested in an AW emperor/immortal game with no tech trading? I'm thinking non-OCC on a standard map. Maybe we can play as the Khmer and show how awesome those elephants really are.

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Would be a suicide, based on my experience with AW ... never won any with that setting above Monarch that is not Archipelago or OCC. The thing about Emperor and above is you need some buffer time in the beginning to deal with the AI advantage -- smart MM'ing and city specialization can only bring you on par with Monarch, anything more the advantage AI enjoys is simply too overwhelming not to rely on long term planning to compensate -- and archipelago gives you the needed isolation to ready yourself (OCC is another matter).

Yes, TGLH is over-powered in high sea level games. It should be relatively easy for the programming of AI to prioritize wonders based on the map settings (eg higher weightage to TGLH or Colossus and lower priority to continent effect wonders such as 3GG, SoL for high sea level). Not sure if it is already the case, but doesn't seems so to me.

--

12. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I will try playing some emperor AW on normal maps and see what I can manage with no tech trading.

13. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

Grats to the team, nice finishing off Shyuhe. Good to see the nuclear arsenal I built up still saw some use. :D

I agree that the Great Lighthouse is possibly the strongest wonder on maps like these, it has saved several games for me which would be very hard to win otherwise.

AW-Emperor sounds very difficult to me... I doubt I could even hope to win that.

14. Rusten

Rusten Deity

lurker's comment:

I've won immortal AW on a standard sized pangea map, so emperor should be doable. It was a good starting location (1 source of gems and some riverside hills), but nothing extreme.

15. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Rusten - what leader was that with? I think emperor is doable but it may involve some cheese. Like parking warriors next to AI capitals to stunt growth :lol:

16. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Gilgamesh/Sumeria.

17. Rusten

Rusten Deity

I think you'll do fine on emperor as long as you pick a suitable leader. I rolled a start and did a very fast run to check things out and I'm in a very comfortable position. I got a pretty good start this time too, but in a different way -- not much commerce here.

Stone enabled the GW for spy GPP and I'm probably getting the mids as well. Gilg has early and cheap courts (zigs), so there's a nice foundation for an espionage economy I got a religion after taking Cuzco so with representation my cities can grow large.

Not saying that you have to/should play Gilgamesh -- there are many good leaders. If you're wondering why HC only had 1 city it's because I choked him -- but it wouldn't be hard taking more. I can use Cuzco's forests to chop the HG or take out another civ. I got a GG while taking Cuzco as well -- will attach it to my medic vulture.

IMO you can do it on emperor, but that's not up to me. It's more fun to win a challenge than a cakewalk isn't it? :) Sure, you might lose, but that's part of the fun (for me anyway).

Attached Files:

18. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

lurker comment: another crazy game to come it seems...
    This one was a really good read! congrats for the win!

19. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity