1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by Sisiutil, Apr 1, 2006.

1. armstrong

armstrong Chieftain

In general, they're "decent" - but they have some caveats. "Sid" sometimes likes to settle 1 tile from the coast (not realizing that a lighthouse can make 1F2C coast tiles 2F2C.) Also, "Sid" tries to balance production & commerce... but, as a player, you often would prefer an optimal commerce city or and optimal production city instead of a crowded bag. Finally, "Sid" optimizes resources, but often you can settle a city and be content to grab a resource in your second expansion instead of the fat cross. Still, don't discount the blue circles. Many times I've gone to settle a city, and seen a blue circle one tile away and realized, "Hey, that would be a better city!"

As for workers, they're almost always wrong. Build improvements on the tiles you can work now instead of later. Try to have your workers move only one tile so you can start an improvement without wasting a worker turn, and build improvements for what you want the city to do. :)

2. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

They're a decent enough guideline if you don't have any reason to do otherwise. If you do have a reason, ignore them freely.

3. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

Thanks for the correction, Scaphism. I'll fix that in the next revision.

4. PeterM

PeterM Chieftain

GUys,

How come the food in ocean tile is always 1. How do I improve it. All my cities near ocean cannot grow due to lacking food :(. Building a harbor does not help at all.

Thanks,

5. Sisiutil

Build a Lighthouse, which increases the food output of all water tiles by +1 (coast, ocean, lakes). A harbour increases health and trade routes, not food production.

6. PeterM

PeterM Chieftain

Thank you so much! You can tell that I am a naive player :).

7. tyroneb97

tyroneb97 Chieftain

Great guide Sisiutil. I'm not an "extreme" beginner, but I like to check out all of the resources out there.

Do you plan to update it for Warlords?

8. Sisiutil

Thanks!

I haven't purchased Warlords yet and probably won't do so for some time. When I get around to it, I will probably attempt to add an additional section dealing with it.

9. keweedsmo

keweedsmo Chieftain

A++ Beginners Guide. SHOULD BE STICKIED!

10. Artosoft

Artosoft Chieftain

Me too can't open the file. Download it and I get attachment.php which is unable to open.

Regards,
    Arto.

Nb: ups, now is ok. Thanks!

11. Sisiutil

Yeah, for some reason if I right click/Save Target As a file on this board (as I would on any other), I get a useless .php file. But if I just left-click and then choose to save it, I can get it. Strange...

12. Ogno

Ogno Chieftain

Very Useful guide. and its in simple language too. I'm new to the game [civ4 warlords] and struggling at noble level.
    Is there a place in these forums for newbs to ask dumb questions ?
    Is there a place for newbs to try multiplayer gaming without becoming just easy meat for the experts ?
    again though I praise the clarity of your guide.
    cheers ogno

13. Jester Jr.

Jester Jr. Chieftain

Great guide. You should make it into a wiki.

14. Remberido

Remberido Chieftain

interesting guide..I'm on a 6month journey in Asia, good access to internet, but not very likely to play some civ...(apart from a downloadable spin-off version called C-evo, a bit like civ2, but not the real thing, and boring after a while)...while uploading photos on the net I like to read a bit on my favourite hobby,and improve my skills for when I return. Very goodguide,very important to remember the basics..greetings from kathmandu

15. Sisiutil

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to CFC!

I don't play multiplayer and can't help you there, but here's a very good thread for newbie questions:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4720602

Try asking about multiplayer (or anything) there.

16. Warbeast

Warbeast Chieftain

Get to the sea, your friends and foes are out there. Be ready. Unless you chose a world with no oceans------------------Warbeast

17. Warbeast

Warbeast Chieftain

Allow border for border early in the game.It keeps a certain sense of peace while you gather information. In certain cases refuse all exchange with an advisary, like the ones youe friends do not like._______Warbeast.

18. Sisiutil

Revised, December 22nd, 2006

The guide is now at version 2.0 and includes, at long last, several pointers relevant to the Warlords expansion pack! As well as several revisions including clarification, expansion, and reorganization of existing sections.

19. _ATOMEN

_ATOMEN Chieftain

nice guide

20. Sisiutil

Thanks! My wife and I had our honeymoon in Turkey, by the way. Lovely country, we're anxious to go back there someday.