Slave workers

Grille

panel insect
I *thought* that slave workers will now use their own graphics set, whether it's a "Barbarian Chiefdom" or a worker of foreign nationality.

However, more or less by chance, I have spotted a Zulu slave worker that shows up in an old old-fashioned way. It has the usual worker unit graphics, but it says "Worker (Zulu)" when right-clicking, so it looks the same as my native workers on the map.
:confused:
I'm not quite sure how or when I got him, but I never bought a Zulu worker nor captured one (nor attacked any Zulu settler). I know a Zulu city once flipped to me and I produced some workers there (pop status oscillated between 1 and 3 there IIRC). Everytime a 'normal'-looking worker was built there, I thought it was made out of (new born) citizens of my nationality (which was probably the right assumption in most cases, since I have only one Zulu slave in total).
The other slaves (of other than Zulu nationality, btw) in my stock have been aquired by trading, formed out of foreign settlers :)D) or I just captured them and they indeed use the different graphics set.

Not sure if this is a bug, also I haven't checked this strange worker's speed yet, but this feels like a (minor) flaw. Or do foreign workers now get somehow assimilated by time (similar to foreign citzens, but still showing their nationality, i.e. no upkeep but normal working speed)?

I may add a screenie (or save) later. Don't know how to reproduce this (from the save file or in general), but my best *guess* would be that producing a worker in a city w/ mixed nationality citizens could cause this (possibly even by rushing?). Maybe someone can confirm/deny that built slave workers show up in an old-fashioned way?

PS: If this really is some bug, then move it there. I just thought the bug section is a bit crowded with 'pseudo-bugs'...;)
I just could have missed some new C3C worker assimilation feature.:hmm:

edit: Obviously, this is a bug (see posts below). I think the thread should be moved to the bugs section. A picture and a save file to recreate this bug are now available.

I cannot state for certain, but this is my guess, based on what you describe:

The worker in question was built at the "flipped" Zulu city. Since the population at the time was entirely Zulu, the worker retains the Zulu nationality. However, it is for all purposes one of your workers, since it was built, not bought, traded, or captured.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the Zulu happen to capture that unit.

I once made a Persian Settler in a Vanilla Civ Game. I Immediatly disbanded him thinking if i settleted the Persians would live again. :rolleyes: :)

I read a report of a similar graphics bug at 'Poly. The poster there said that saving and reloading the game was enough to cause the worker in question to put on the slave worker graphics.

I've had this happen in my current game -- I took over the Sumerian empire and built workers rather than starving them down, as I was waiting to build my FP on what had been the border. Every "produced" worker that had the Sumerian nationality showed originally as a native worker, but when I saved and reloaded the game, showed the new "slave" graphics. All of them had the slave work-rate regardless of graphics (and probably the slave lack of upkeep, but I didn't check all 100+ workers to be sure that I was paying exactly as many as had my nationality).

My suspicion is that when producing a worker, the game automatically assigns the native graphic since the only way to get a slave is to have an entirely foreign city; however, this assignment of graphics is not actually saved, so when loading, the correct (slave) graphic is assigned to that unit.

Hehe, indeed, I reloaded the game to take a save/screenie and... my one and only slave worker of Zulu nationality was looking alright now. I did not knew that because I had not read Catt and s_e_n_t_i_n_e_l posts above when I revisited the game... so I was even more confused!

Anyways, I test-played a few turns to get such a buggy slave worker again.
Here's a pic:

It appears that only building (or rushing) a worker in a city full of foreigners will cause this problem (getting slaves by razing cities, trading etc *seems* to work properly).

And here's the save:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/worker.SAV

Recreate the situation:
-load save file (it's a standart size map, default rules)
-don't press end-turn button or enter (it's actually the end of the turn)
-go to Damascus, rush a worker there, then end turn
-handle the various pop-ups at turn start, go to Damascus; there are actually a few workers fortified in that city, but you will spot the Arab slave with its buggy graphics

When I wanted to transport a slave to another continent, the slave shows up as an normal worker.
Don't know if this is a regular problem.

Originally posted by Catt
I read a report of a similar graphics bug at 'Poly. The poster there said that saving and reloading the game was enough to cause the worker in question to put on the slave worker graphics.
Got the same problem/solution. First worker I spited out of a capture city used the national worker graphic, but was a in reality a slave. The reload fixed its buggy graphic.

BTW, the problem is caused by the fact of pop consuming.
In my last PTW mod, I had all units modded to consume at least 1 pop upon creation. Then I went to some wars and took over the English.
While preparing my invasion into Arabia, I suddenly spotted some "Medieval Infantry (English)" running around in my colours...

That was a little bit annoying and since I figured out that there was a nasty error in the update chains, I didn't make it to battles using these MI's , so I have no clue whether they would have had only 50% stats as workers have....

Im not sure when it happened but I routinuely build workers from captured cities and in the RoR scenario even though they get built with regular graphics by the next turn they appear as slave workers. It is possible that I had saved and reloaded but it wasn't a concern of mine so didn't check. The next time I build a slave worker I'll check to see if the graphics survive the end of turn mechanics.

Top Bottom